It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:19 am

Big difference output/recording level

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

vpo-organist

Big difference output/recording level

PostTue Dec 26, 2023 8:29 am

Merry christmas to all!

A HW recording has a very low volume level on the same PC on which Hauptwerk is running, and playing the WAV on another notebook is also very quiet.

To achieve the same volume as when playing with Hauptwerk, I have to set the Record dB to 24 dB and sometimes increase the recording bus by another 3 dB.

This is not the case with other users. I use Win10, HW VIII with an RME Digiface.
What could be the cause?

Best regards
Wolfgang

mnailor

Re: Big difference output/recording level

PostTue Dec 26, 2023 10:29 am

The organ's Trim dB and the Volume slider both affect the audio recording level, as do any non-zero Send levels from other buses to your recording mix bus. So it isn't that unusual to have to adjust the recording output level to compensate for other levels. And then the playback software isn't Hauptwerk, so its volume setting is probably unrelated.

vpo-organist

PostFri Dec 29, 2023 11:08 am

The problem is that the mixer presets are global and can be used for several sample sets. However, each sample set has an individual volume level that needs to be adjusted. The individual Trim dB and the global mixer preset do not match, which makes it impossible to use a mixer preset multiple times for a recording.
It would be better
- if you could specify a Record dB analogous to Trim dB
- optionally exclude the volume control from the recording (e.g. Speaker and Headphone has a different volumn level).
Then it could fit.

Best regards
Wolfgang

mdyde

PostFri Dec 29, 2023 12:10 pm

Hello Wolfgang,

[Topic moved here.]

Hope you had a good Christmas.

The intention is that one would use organs' "Trim dB" settings to match the levels of different organs. Once that's done, there wouldn't normally be a need also to adjust levels on the mixer (recording level, headphones levels, etc.) on a per-organ basis.

(We do also have an enhancement request logged for potentially adding a user preference for whether the master volume slider should affect recordings. It does currently, since some people use it as a type of expression pedal as they play.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

vpo-organist

PostFri Dec 29, 2023 1:36 pm

Thank you, I had a lovely Christmas with my family. I hope you had a nice Christmas too.
The option would be useful. Thank you very much, Martin.

mdyde

PostFri Dec 29, 2023 2:25 pm

Thanks, Wolfgang.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support