It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:57 am

Version 4 - viewing MIDI mappings?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

organsRgreat

Version 4 - viewing MIDI mappings?

PostSat Jan 13, 2024 7:48 am

This is really weird – two computers running v4; the first controls the second - think of them as Master and Slave. This is so that when I play back from Hauptwerk’s built-in recorder I also hear the sounds from the Slave computer. Problem: just one note on the pedals – bottom D – acts as a General Cancel for the Slave computer – the Master is unaffected.

MIDI Ox shows the correct codes being received on both computers. I can only assume that I’ve inadvertently auto-detected that pedal note to a General Cancel; but I’ve checked the inputs to the sample set’s (on-screen) General Cancel piston, and to Hauptwerk’s Master General Cancel piston; neither shows up as being mapped to that pedal note. I’ve cleared all settings for the General Cancel pistons (both now show "No input (disabled") on the Primary Input and Input 2), but the problem remains. It’s the Paramount 341 if that makes any difference.

Just for clarity – when I say “acts as a General Cancel for the Slave computer” I mean it turns off all the stops; it doesn’t close the swell pedals for instance, which would have a somewhat similar effect. If I turn a few stops on everything works as expected, until a play that bottom D on the pedals. This happens with stops on all three manuals and on the pedals.

Is there a way to view the MIDI mappings in v4? Is there anything else that might account for this strange behaviour? Thanks!

mdyde

Re: Version 4 - viewing MIDI mappings?

PostSat Jan 13, 2024 9:44 am

Hello organsRgreat,

On the 'slave' computer you could temporarily turn on the "General settings | General preferences | Diagnostics: log all MIDI messages received and sent" option. Certainly in recent/current versions of Hauptwerk that will show in the log ("Help | View activity log") what virtual controls (if any) are triggered by each MIDI message Hauptwerk receives. I can't remember for certain off-hand, but the same was probably true in v4.

For example, if you were unintentionally triggering some general/general-scoped combination, with a blank (all-off) registration stored to that combination, then it could give the symptoms you describe.

(Also, if the two computers always run the same organ and registration as each other, and if you were feeding MIDI between the two computers solely via the v6+ MIDI recorder/player external MIDI IN/OUT ports, which were named the "MIDI sequencer MIDI IN/OUT" ports in v4, then no per-control MIDI settings should apply or need to be configured.)

I hope that helps, although I think I may need to leave you (or other Hauptwerk users) to resolve any remaining v4 problems you may have, I'm afraid, unless you also decide to upgrade Hauptwerk, since v4 was officially de-supported a number of years ago now, and we've given you quite a bit of unofficial support for it anyway since then. In case you do want to upgrade, v4->v8 upgrades can be purchased from our on-line shop ( https://www.hauptwerk.com/hauptwerk-store/ ) or from UK dealers ( https://www.hauptwerk.com/dealers/ ). Thanks in advance if you do consider upgrading.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support