It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:18 am

Panels rendering off screen

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Romanos

Panels rendering off screen

PostMon Jan 15, 2024 12:55 pm

I am having an issue whereby my floating panels are all rendering half off screen after updating to Sonoma.

I've restarted multiple times and tried every trick in the book that I can think of, but I cannot get the panels to appear fully on screen anymore. This renders them literally unusable.

The problem is that mine have all gone off the screen to the left, and the only place you can click on the panels to drag them around is the little grey bar on the left... well, because that's off screen, I cannot adjust them. So, I'm stuck in this loop of hell where all I can do is hide the windows, but not actually move them or reset them in anyway.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Also, please consider it a FR that in future versions we be able to click anywhere within the headspace of a panel to be able to drag it around (as is common in most applications).

image link: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/6080596f62a0455c6b40e46b/t/65a5715785a20765cf78f99d/1705341279753/72703339914__389809FA-8D35-4013-AE82-DFB5D2E548BC.heic

mdyde

Re: Panels rendering off screen

PostMon Jan 15, 2024 1:23 pm

Hello James,

Does this topic solve it?:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20833

mdyde wrote:Since the 'drag handle' is on the left-hand edge of the control panel, the only way that I know of that it would be possible to end up in that situation would be if your operating system desktop extends across several monitors, and there's another monitor to the left of the one in your screenshot. If so, is the control panel's handle accessible on it (near the right-hand edge of that monitor)?
There isn't a function to reset just control panel positions, I'm afraid.

In that case, try moving the mouse pointer off the edge of that monitor, estimating the distance to the control panel's left-hand edge handle, and see whether you can then click-hold-drag it back wholly on to the screen. It probably won't be too difficult, but might need a few attempts.
P.S. Or try the trick in this post: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20774&p=155428#p155428

(I.e. close the control panel, load a different organ, move that control panel a little, re-load the other organ, reopen control panel.)

- If you have multiple monitors, make sure they're all turned on, and that macOS has finished booting and displaying desktops on them *before* launching Hauptwerk. (Don't try to launch Hauptwerk automatically on boot, in case macOS is launching Hauptwerk before the monitors have finished initialising.) Then launch Hauptwerk, load St. Anne's and see whether the left-hand edges of the control panels are visible on any of the monitors. (E.g. maybe the virtual desktop has wrapped off the edge of one onto another somehow.)

- Failing that, with St. Anne's loaded, see if you can open any of the large control panels from the menu with their handles visible.

Does that allow you to get to them? If so:

- Move the control panel on the screen a little (using its left-hand 'handle' bar).

- Load the organ that you were using when you had the problem (since open control panel positions/states are stored on a per-organ basis).

- Select "View | Large floating control panels ..." menu. If the control panel is already open somewhere (e.g. on a different monitor, or behind some other window), then this will close it.

- If the control panel didn't appear in the last step then select the same item from the menu again, so as to re-open it.

Does it then appear? (By default the positions in which large control panels appear when manually opened are stored globally [not per-organ], so it should appear in the position to which you moved it when you had St. Anne's loaded.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

RaymondList

PostMon Jan 15, 2024 1:52 pm

Something else to consider, if you have an iPad near your Mac, "Sidecar" can become active and extend your Mac desktop onto the iPad. Although not with Hauptwerk, I've had that happen and lost my cursor. It took me a while to realize what was going on. Just a thought and something to keep in mind.
Ray
Ray

Romanos

PostMon Jan 15, 2024 9:09 pm

This is my right-most monitor of three. Sadly, the edge of the panels is NOT appearing on the next monitor. This was the first thing I checked.

I've tried estimating the distance to the edges of the panels, however there's a new behavior in Sonoma when you get near the edges of a screen, and it prevents me from using this trick.

As for switching to a different organ, this is happening on all of them, I'm afraid. I suppose the only thing left for me to try is to rearrange the orientation (digitally) of the monitors, make it the left-most monitor, and see if the OS will bump the panels back onto the screen.

Romanos

PostMon Jan 15, 2024 10:07 pm

Sadly, even making the monitor the left-most monitor, the panels still render off screen. And once it's in that position, it hard-stops the mouse, so I simply cannot pull these panels back. This is a genuine pickle for me.

mdyde

PostTue Jan 16, 2024 4:46 am

Thanks, James.

I haven't tried macOS 14 ('Sonoma') myself yet, but various Hauptwerk users and beta testers have been using it with no problems found, so I'm not sure what's different about your system; I wonder whether perhaps your macOS screen scaling setting (macOS System Setting | Displays: text size) might be causing a difference.

Either way, please try the following:

- In Hauptwerk, use "File | Backup ...".

- Exit Hauptwerk.

- Open the following file (assuming default Hauptwerk installation locations) in macOS Applications/TextEdit:
<your-macos-account-home-folder>/Hauptwerk/HauptwerkUserData/Config0-GeneralSettings/Config.Config_Hauptwerk_xml

- In Finder, also make a backup copy of the file in its current state, for good measure.

- In TextEdit find the WindowState XML object within the file.

- Completely delete all of lines (XML sub-objects) within it, so that all of that remains of the WindowState section is as follows:
Code: Select all
<ObjectList ObjectType="WindowState">
</ObjectList>

Doing so clears all of Hauptwerk's globally-stored window positions, including the default locations in which the large control panels would open.

- Save the file.

- Re-launch Hauptwerk.

- Load St. Anne's.

- If any large control panels are open, close them from the View menu (without moving them first), then reopen them. They will reopen in their default positions (given that you've cleared the stored positions), which hopefully will be fully on-screen.

- Assuming so, repeat the last two steps for each other organ (closing, then reopening each of the large control panels within them).

Does that solve it?

[Caveat: editing Hauptwerk's settings files could easily break/crash Hauptwerk, and is actually against the licence agreement unless we've specifically advised someone to do it, as we have in this case.]
Best regards, Martin.

RichardW

PostTue Feb 20, 2024 8:57 pm

I had a problem with panels not being on the screen then I discovered a menu item that I did not remember either ever seeing before or ever remember changing.

It is on the "View" menu and the option is: "Zoom virtual console to fit (for this organ)"
Richard

mdyde

PostWed Feb 21, 2024 4:23 am

Hello Richard,

"View | Zoom virtual console to fit (for this organ)" only affects the scaling of the sample set's graphical virtual console (which could affect whether a particular virtual stop is scrolled outside the visible area, for example), but it shouldn't actually affect the positions of control panels.
Best regards, Martin.

RichardW

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 8:28 pm

Thanks Martin, I saw the word "panels" and assumed it was the panels with the stops on. I must stop trying to answer technical questions early in the morning!
Richard

Return to Technical support