It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:18 pm

Audio glitch on touch

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

ppytprs

Audio glitch on touch

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 12:28 pm

Hi all.
I make a lot of Hauptwerk systems, and I've had a new issue this week that I wonder if anyone's seen before.
I'm using a new model of iiyama touchscreen. I'm finding that sometimes when touching one of the touchscreens to change a stop, if previously the other one was touched then the audio stops momentarily. After that, I can touch as many stops as I want on that screen and it's fine. But then play a bit and touch the other one, glitch. It's probably a little more intermittent than that, but that's the general gist. It also seems to need to be touched twice. As if the touchscreen 'mouse' goes to sleep and needs to be woken up, and waking it up interrupts the audio.

Anyone seen anything like this?

Thanks,

Paul

IainStinson

Re: Audio glitch on touch

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 1:59 pm

I have iiyama touch screens (old now) which each connect for their touch by USB connections. On Windows 11 Pro (up to date) I've not had anything like the problem you describe. I have set all my usb connections never to sleep / power off.

Iain

mdyde

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 3:56 pm

Hello Paul,

I don't think I've heard of that specific problem before, and I don't have any experience with iiyama touch-screens, but some general troubleshooting steps from the "Performance tuning | Other operating system and computer optimizations and diagnostics" section of the Hauptwerk user guide (which starts on page 320 in the v8 version) which could be worth checking are:

- Make sure that all available motherboard BIOS updates are applied.

- Make sure that all available Windows updates are applied.

- Make sure all available firmware and driver updates for hardware devices are applied, and especially so for audio/MIDI interfaces, the graphics card, the motherboard, and the touch-screen(s). Check on their manufacturers' websites if needed.

- Make sure that all Windows power saving options are disabled, and especially the option relating to putting USB devices to sleep.

- Try running LatencyMon ( https://resplendence.com/latencymon ) when Hauptwerk is running, and see if it reports any problems when the glitches occur. (If so, it might indicate which driver/device is causing them.)

You could perhaps also try connecting the touch-screen via a different USB port, e.g. one that's directly on the motherboard (rather than via a USB hub), or at least to one that doesn't share a motherboard USB port/hub/bus with the audio interface.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

dhm

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 9:34 am

This is probably a total "red herring", but it might not be completely irrelevant...
I haven't used Iliyama touchscreens, so can't comment on those (use lots of others, e.g. AOC, Lenovo, Dell etc).
For touchscreens I always use the eGalaxTouch drivers (free, and very simple to use).
But when setting up and calibrating, there is a tick-box for "Beep on touch?"
I wonder whether Iiiyama might have something similar which could potentially cause a glitch?
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

ppytprs

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 10:44 am

I think I've solved it.
The screens have courtesy USB ports on. I had a mouse plugged into one of these. I've moved that and the problem seems to have gone away. How strange!

ppytprs

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 12:10 pm

Spoke to soon, it's still doing it, but much less frequently.

I did also try a lot of the above suggestions. I wasn't sure what I was looking for in LatencyMon, and once it was running it ate all the CPU and HW became unplayable.

I tried Douglas's touch drivers, but they didn't do anything. Perhaps don't work on Win 11.

mdyde

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 1:35 pm

Hello Paul,

Sorry to hear you're initial fix didn't solve it after all.

ppytprs wrote:I wasn't sure what I was looking for in LatencyMon, and once it was running it ate all the CPU and HW became unplayable.

The idea would be to leave it running whilst Hauptwerk is running with an organ loaded (e.g. test using St. Anne's), then try to reproduce the problem (by clicking on the stops as before, etc.), and see whether LatencyMon still reports that the system is suitable for real-time audio. (Leave it running overnight for good measure, if needed.) If its says something like "Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio ..." (with any of its meters going into the yellow/red) then see which driver(s) it mentions as having the highest ISR/DPC times. Those drivers may be the culprits. Its 'Stats' page might have more detailed information.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ppytprs

PostFri Mar 01, 2024 12:10 pm

Ah, I see. But running LatencyMon made it glitch so much it was unplayable. So a bit tricky!

I think I might have got somewhere. I just installed an older version of the video driver, peculiarly against normal protocols!
Never say never, but it seems to have cured it.

mnailor

PostFri Mar 01, 2024 12:17 pm

I have the same problem with LatencyMon. It uses too much CPU time at realtime priority on the first core, so audio glitches and HW's CPU meter stays red until LatencyMon is stopped. If you have HW8, you can temporarily untick the General preference to bind threads to cores. On mine, that works fine with LatencyMon running because Windows spreads the threads across other cores.

I had to disable my nVIDIA graphics card and use Intel IHD because the graphics driver was interfering with audio. Don't know what brand of graphics card you have, but somebody suggested trying the generic SVGA driver instead of the manufacturer's driver.

dhm

PostTue Mar 05, 2024 2:39 pm

ppytprs wrote:
I tried Douglas's touch drivers, but they didn't do anything. Perhaps don't work on Win 11.

I guessed it was probably irrelevant, but thought it worth mentioning, just in case.
For the record, eGalaxTouch does work with Windows 11.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

Return to Technical support