It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:47 am

Voicing and tuning multiple perspectives

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

robsig

Voicing and tuning multiple perspectives

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 7:43 am

After installing HW VIII, and buying a few new samplesets I have found that I have a lot of adjustments to make, both voicing and tuning.

I realize that with multiple perspectives, (direct, diffuse, etc) I have to do every operation twice or more. It is very time consuming. I know we can select multiple contiguous notes to adjust at a time, but is there a way to select individual notes of different perspectives at the same time? It would be so much easier.

Other question, I have found with HW Viii (and before) there are choices to add random tuning variations. I find that now my organs sound out of tune to my ears. Whew are the different controls to adjust these parameters? I would like to scale these variations back, but there seem to be several of these controls in different places.

What is a reasonable setting for pipe detuning? What do you all use on your organs?

RS

mdyde

Re: Voicing and tuning multiple perspectives

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 8:13 am

Hello Rob,

robsig wrote:After installing HW VIII, and buying a few new samplesets I have found that I have a lot of adjustments to make, both voicing and tuning.

I realize that with multiple perspectives, (direct, diffuse, etc) I have to do every operation twice or more. It is very time consuming. I know we can select multiple contiguous notes to adjust at a time, but is there a way to select individual notes of different perspectives at the same time? It would be so much easier.

Yes -- on the voicing screen the list of virtual ranks supports multi-select, so you can highlight the multiple perspectives' virtual 'ranks' simultaneously (e.g. by Ctrl+clicking on them on Windows). You can drag the voicing window taller to expand the list, so that it's easier to find and click on the relevant virtual ranks.

robsig wrote:Other question, I have found with HW Viii (and before) there are choices to add random tuning variations. I find that now my organs sound out of tune to my ears. Whew are the different controls to adjust these parameters? I would like to scale these variations back, but there seem to be several of these controls in different places.

To reduce (or increase) random detuning for the organ as a whole you can use the setting on the "Organ settings | Organ preferences | Audio engine" screen tab.

robsig wrote:What is a reasonable setting for pipe detuning? What do you all use on your organs?

The default behaviour is configured by the sample set producer within the organ definition, so may vary between sample set producers and organs. However, you can easily adjust it to taste using the preference above.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

robsig

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm

Hello Martin. Thanks for the quick reply. Your answers were just what I needed. I turned down the pipe coupling and tuning randomizing until I got satisfactory results.

I find it very helpful when voicing or tuning to listen to the real organs on youtube as reference. Some of the organs have lots of examples, others not. I don't necessarily prefer everything about the real organs, so it's nice to have all the controls to alter the sound.

All my problems now solved. At least on Hauptwerk. My reward, my consolation and my chief pleasure in my retirement years.

Thanks again.

RS

mdyde

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 pm

Thanks very much, Rob. Excellent. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support