It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 12:43 pm

Will Hauptwerk 8 work as VST2?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

wwzeitler

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 12:45 am

mdyde

Re: Will Hauptwerk 8 work as VST2?

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 3:26 am

Hello William,

Yes -- Hauptwerk has a VST2 plug-in (the "Hauptwerk AU/VST Plug-in Link") which routes MIDI and audio between stand-alone Hauptwerk and a VST host, in the same way that Hauptwerk v4-v7 did.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

wwzeitler

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 9:21 am

Where do I find it? (So I can set up the path correctly)

Thanks!

mdyde

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 9:58 am

Thanks, William.

The "MIDI sequencing, the Hauptwerk AU/VST Link and applying external real-time effects plug-ins" section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 275-304 in the current v8.0 version) covers using the plug-in in general, with its location covered in the "AU and VST plug-in locations" sub-section (page 278).

The user guide is on the Help menu in Hauptwerk, or on-line here: https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/
Best regards, Martin.

wwzeitler

PostThu May 02, 2024 2:46 am

The "MIDI sequencing, the Hauptwerk AU/VST Link and applying external real-time effects plug-ins" section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 275-304 in the current v8.0 version) covers using the plug-in in general, with its location covered in the "AU and VST plug-in locations" sub-section (page 278).

On page 278, the user guide says the following:
When installing Hauptwerk on Windows you are prompted for the folder into which the Hauptwerk VST Link plug-ins should be installed. By default they will be installed into: C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ VST Link Plug-In. I

This is not so. I suspect that the user manual is out of date. There is no such folder as " C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ VST Link Plug-In." And I did a default install.

I re-ran the installer to verify this, and the installer prompts for one and only one VST folder, defaulting to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3" -- as the location for installing the VST3 dll's (HauptwerkVSTLink-32bit.dll and HauptwerkVSTLink-64bit.dll). I've been working with VST for many years now, and can well remember many installers prompting for both the VST2 folder and the VST3 folder. Of course they would have to prompt for two folders, since they are two very different dll's. The Hauptwerk current installer only prompts for the one and only VST3 folder.

I also searched my entire C:\ drive for "Hauptwerk*.dll" and only Hauptwerk VST3 dll's are listed. Just to be exhaustive, I tried loading the Hauptwerk dll (HauptwerkVSTLink-64bit.dll) in C:\Program Files\Common\VST3 as a VST2 and of course that fails.

So I'm still left with Hauptwerk documentation that says it supports VST2, but I'm at a loss where to find the VST2 hosting dll.

Thanks!

mdyde

PostThu May 02, 2024 3:45 am

Hello William,

Hauptwerk's (only) plug-in is VST2 -- there is no Hauptwerk VST3 plug-in at this point in time (although we do hope to make one for a future version).

When you first/previously ran Hauptwerk's installer on the computer and were prompted to select the VST plug-in installation location I think you must have changed the installer's default ("C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ VST Link Plug-In") to the folder you mention ("C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3"). Whenever the Hauptwerk installer is run subsequently on the computer it will then default to whatever you chose previously for its VST folder, i.e. it remembers the value that you last specified. Its default when first run (and unless subsequently changed) would always be "C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ VST Link Plug-In".

Hence the Hauptwerk VST2 plug-in will currently be in whatever folder the installer was set to use, i.e. in your case currently "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3". You could run the installer again and change its installation location to somewhere more applicable for VST2 plug-ins if you prefer.

wwzeitler wrote:I also searched my entire C:\ drive for "Hauptwerk*.dll" and only Hauptwerk VST3 dll's are listed. Just to be exhaustive, I tried loading the Hauptwerk dll (HauptwerkVSTLink-64bit.dll) in C:\Program Files\Common\VST3 as a VST2 and of course that fails.

So I'm still left with Hauptwerk documentation that says it supports VST2, but I'm at a loss where to find the VST2 hosting dll.

HauptwerkVSTLink-64bit.dll is the VST2 plug-in, and you should be able to load that in any VST2 host that we support (and probably also most others). N.B. also this important point from page 277 in the user guide:

• You must only have one instance of the Hauptwerk plug-in loaded within your sequencer’s project, not separate Hauptwerk plug-in instances on separate tracks. Consult your sequencer’s documentation for how to achieve that. For example, in Cubase, you must load the Hauptwerk plug-in within Cubase’s instrument rack, and then set tracks to output to it via the instrument rack, rather than loading the plug-in directly within each track. In Logic Pro X you would insert the first track as a software instrument, then highlight the track and use ‘Track | Other | New track with next/same MIDI channel’ to create any desired additional tracks that use the same plug-in instance as the first track.
Best regards, Martin.

wwzeitler

PostThu May 02, 2024 8:05 am

Bwah ha ha, LMC on my part! ("Low Marble Count").

Your reminder at the end about only one instance of the VST did the trick. Duh, I had another program, minimized, that had the Hauptwerk VST link open. Once I closed that (idiot that I am) Hauptwork loaded up just fine.

BTW, I've been a Happy Hauptwerk user since V4 (?). Thereabouts at least. It's a really great program!

Thanks for your patience!

mdyde

PostThu May 02, 2024 8:38 am

Thanks, William. Excellent. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support