It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 am

bad sounding sample sets because too perfect

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Doug S.

Re: bad sounding sample sets because too perfect

PostFri Jun 04, 2021 1:13 pm

Thanks Martin.
Doug

Theorbe

PostSat Jun 05, 2021 1:29 pm

Deleted by author.
Last edited by Theorbe on Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kasterling

PostSat Jun 05, 2021 6:57 pm

Thank you, Andy!

Theorbe

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 9:08 pm

Deleted by author.
Last edited by Theorbe on Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wall.e

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 3:56 am

Thank you very much! That's a fantastic feature and improvement for all HW4 users! I never had better sounding trumpets.

Theorbe

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 4:26 pm

Deleted by author.
Last edited by Theorbe on Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kasterling

PostTue Jul 20, 2021 7:05 pm

To all users of Andy's HW Auto Detune utility: I suggest we regularly start posting and compiling the de-tuning parameters we have found useful for the various sample sets we have applied the utility to. Some parameters have been suggested here already for the Standard Deviation:
St. Maximin: 1.0-1.2
Armley Schulze: 2.0
Caen: 3.2-3.5.
I have been experimenting with 2 other sample sets on a friend's HW4.2 installation.. Here are my suggestions for the Standard Deviation:
Doesburg, Martinikerk Walcker Organ: 1.0
Utrecht - Dom, Bätz Organ: 1.4.
In both cases the effect of the utility was to make the organ sound more spacious and colorful. In the case of the Doesburg organ the de-tuning effect was best not applied to the mixtures and the cornets. Otherwise, they sounded too far out of tune and a little weird.
The other thing I will report here--since I was asked by my friend to voice each instrument rank by rank--is that these sample sets required rather a lot of work to get right. I had to make a lot of amplitude adjustments particularly to the bass octaves of the 16' ranks, but elsewhere as well. Generally the bass octaves were too loud. It took me about 3 hours to go through the Utrecht organ and about 5 hours to go through the Doesburg organ rank by rank. The finishing touch was to apply Andy's utility to the fully-voiced instruments.
I hope this is somewhat helpful.

1961TC4ME

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 10:49 am

I agree with your suggestion for the settings for St. Max, right around 1.0 seems about right, anything more does it no favors. I surmised earlier it's probably due to its meantone tuning. As for Armley Schulze I've found 1.2 to 1.4 to be about as far as I care go. I've tried 2.0 to 2.5 with Armley Schulze and although it does make for interesting results, certain notes are way out of tune (Like in a Trumpet Tune as an example) and they pretty much jump out at you, it's just too far out of tune to my ears.

One thing I recently thought of and was going to ask is: If we're using a utility like this, would it be advisable to then disable the native de-tuning in Hauptwerk? As of now I have not so far disabled it, so am using both. Perhaps by disabling the native feature this is where some can get away with the higher de-tuning figures?

Marc

Theorbe

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 5:56 pm

Deleted by author.
Last edited by Theorbe on Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kasterling

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 10:29 pm

Andy, I am very curious how your utility manages to apply the same de-tuning parameters to multiple perspectives of the same rank; for example, to the Chancel, Nave, and Surround perspectives of an 8' Principal. That is, if the user selects the "Natural" de-tuning pattern when running the utility. The different sample set makers do not necessarily refer to the multiple perspectives using the same terms. What one calls "Chancel" another one calls "Close." How on earth did you manage to sort out these different terms and enable the utility to collate all the various perspectives (where they exist) of each rank? This seems to me a very significant accomplishment and one that the native de-tuning function in Hauptwerk cannot as of yet duplicate. I know you prefer the added chorus effect of de-tuning the different perspectives differently, but many users do not share that preference (myself included). So we are delighted to be able to keep different perspectives in tune with each other.

I suspect this is one of the reasons you recommend setting Hauptwerk's built-in randomized de-tuning to zero. Otherwise, it will put the different perspectives out of tune with each other. I imagine it will also affect the de-tuning results of your utility in unpredictable ways. So there would seem to be no advantage to allow it to operate. One could also disable the wind modeling and randomizations associated with it, but as Martin has made clear in this thread, the wind modeling really has little effect on the tuning.

Theorbe

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 7:39 am

Deleted by author.
Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments