It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 am

Sauer Organ Model from Sonus Paradisi

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

zurek

Sauer Organ Model from Sonus Paradisi

PostFri Jul 03, 2020 1:48 am

Dear Sonus Paradisi Sample Set User!

I am delighted to present the Sauer Organ Model of Sonus Paradisi. I have just published the sample set of the Sauer organ at Chemnitz, Lutherkirche. The German romantic instrument of 3 manuals, pedals, and alltogether 50 stops. Plus, as usual, a rich demo version is available for free download. The demo version offers all the stops of the first manual. The sample set works in HW 4.2 as well as in Hauptwerk 5.

The sample set consists of 8 channels: the direct, diffuse, distant and rear recording perspectives. Using the built-in mixer, it is possible to achieve any desired mix of perspectives. For those who prefer simple stereo, the distant channels are sold solo in a form of a wet sample set.

Sauer organs were praised for the perfect manufacturing, excellent materials, technically perfect layout, finest possible voicing based on a plenitude of foundation stops, including all sorts and shapes of flutes ranging from pianissimo to forte, always paired with string stops for a proper tone balance of each dynamic level. This careful specification provided the smoothest possible dynamic progression. Sauer organs were inspired by French organ building, and Wilhelm Sauer apprenticed with none other than Aristide Cavaillé-Coll. Later, Sauer departed from the French design esthetic and developed a specific German romantic style. It is the organ type for the music of Max Reger, Phillip Wolfrum and the early Karg-Elert. As with many good organs, you can of course also play other music convincingly: early music, Bach, and almost everything from the German romantic period from Rinck to Rheinberger.

Visit the web presentation of the theSauer Organ Model of Sonus Paradisi for more details, including the audio demo pieces.

Yours,

Jiri Zurek
Jiri Zurek,
Prague
http://www.sonusparadisi.cz

sesquialtera

Re: Sauer Organ Model from Sonus Paradisi

PostSat Jul 04, 2020 12:55 pm

Congrats for this new virtual instrument !
Listening to the sound demos, I was thinking that this organ doesn't seem very different from the Martinikerk Walcker Organ in Doesburg built in the same period. Can someone tell us more about the sound differences beetwen the two instruments ?

OrganoPleno

PostSun Jul 05, 2020 12:56 pm

sesquialtera wrote:Can someone tell us more about the sound differences between the two instruments ?

The Doesburg Organ (completed in 1916) includes certain "progressive" influences from the "Alsace Organ Reform".

The Chemnitz Organ (completed in 1908) includes certain stops that were "no longer popular" at the end of the 19th century.

So although they stand less than a decade apart, one instrument is "looking forward" and the other is "looking backward". So in effect they do represent different eras to some extent.

As to the sound character, I find the Doesburg to be more Dark and Heavy. The Chemnitz, while comparably rich and full, still conveys a lighter and brighter impression. It certainly encompasses a tremendous Dynamic Range, from exceptionally soft to a magnificent fortissimo.

Two fine sample sets. As always, it comes down to a matter of taste and personal preference. Or... get them both and cover all the bases!

sesquialtera

PostMon Jul 06, 2020 2:58 am

Thank you OrganoPleno for this clear and detailed reply.
"Get them both" ... I'd like to ! 8) $$

tomaszartur

PostTue Jul 07, 2020 3:48 pm

I tried to download the demo version twice actually without any luck unfortunately. When I log onto my account I can see the links but they don't work, don't know why?

IainStinson

PostWed Jul 08, 2020 2:53 am

Have you accepted the licence ? You need to do this before the links work.
Iain

tomaszartur

PostWed Jul 08, 2020 7:18 am

Hi Iain, thank you for your reply.
I have actually but still nothing.

vpo-organist

PostSun Jul 19, 2020 2:16 pm

I have tried to compare the Chemnitz and Doesburg in terms of sound.
The Chemitz actually has a brighter, more transparent sound than the Doesburg. I did not expect this from a romantic organ.

For the romantic-type dispositions Chemnitz has almost too little acoustics (4s). The Martinikerk with 2 seconds more reverb has a more favourable starting point for romantic organ. The sound mixes better, although the acoustics seem to be high.

If you are used to baroque organs with their sound crowns, you first have to get used to romantic, soft and dark sounds.
The sound is sometimes a bit remote, soft, darker. It helps me when I listen to well-known works. There I know what to expect and I also perceive little things that cannot be registered so clearly by the ear when listening to unknown works. If one does not get involved on this level, it is difficult or even impossible to find pleasure in a romantic organ.

The Doesburg is already something special in this respect. I don't have the feeling that I am missing something of what is playing!

From a technical point of view I would like to have 2 direct channels to increase the variability if you want to play something less romantic or prefer a more direct sound for practice purposes.

The price for the Chemnitz is in the range where I can still afford it.
But not over 800 €.

Doesburg: approx. 11 € / per stop (incl. 16% VAT)
Chemnitz: approx. 7, 80 € / per stop (incl. 16% VAT)

After listening to some Chemnitz demos, one thing is clear for me: No Chemnitz from the sound perspective (I like Doesburg better) and no Doesburg from the price perspective :-( Very sad.

This text was translated with Deepl.com, so don't be surprised ;-)

Erzahler

PostMon Jul 20, 2020 3:46 am

Doesburg has been around for awile and might be more appealing with a price reduction.

Organorak

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 2:43 pm

A curiousity of both the Sauer and the larger Walcker that surprises me is that they have suboctave (and with Doesburg, superoctave) intermanual couplers - and even an extra 12 treble pipes and extended windchests - but no intramanual octave or suboctave couplers. Why go to the expense of 73 pipes on Manuals II and III and provide II octave to I and III octave to I couplers but no II octave or III octave?

sonar11

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 7:47 pm

This organ doesn't have any native tremulants. Is it possible to add them within HW itself (like we can add couplers even if the organ doesn't support them)?

mnailor

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 8:06 pm

sonar11 wrote:This organ doesn't have any native tremulants. Is it possible to add them within HW itself (like we can add couplers even if the organ doesn't support them)?

That isn't an available feature. The sampleset has to provide for tremulants.

sonar11

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 8:53 pm

mnailor wrote:
sonar11 wrote:This organ doesn't have any native tremulants. Is it possible to add them within HW itself (like we can add couplers even if the organ doesn't support them)?

That isn't an available feature. The sampleset has to provide for tremulants.

Just to be clear then; I get that sampled tremulants aren't available, but not even HW's built in tremuant feature? That doesn't work either?

mnailor

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 9:07 pm

The Hauptwerk trem model is something for the sampleset producer to use to emulate tremmed ranks when they don't have sampled trems, not a user-accessible feature. The producer has to provide measured or estimated parameters to the trem model that we don't have. There isn't any way for you to turn it on.

sonar11

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 12:03 am

mnailor wrote:The Hauptwerk trem model is something for the sampleset producer to use to emulate tremmed ranks when they don't have sampled trems, not a user-accessible feature. The producer has to provide measured or estimated parameters to the trem model that we don't have. There isn't any way for you to turn it on.

Thanks for the explanation. Bit of a pity, this organ was at the top of my list but I guess I'll have to pass on it then.
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments