It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:38 am

Rotterdam - Laurenskerk - Marcussen Organ available for Haup

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

zurek

Re: Rotterdam - Laurenskerk - Marcussen Organ available for Haup

PostWed Dec 19, 2012 3:07 am

Please note, that the dry set is ment for very special purposes, it is not a virtual instrument which can be played "out of the box". (For this reason there is a little reason for making some mp3 demos from it.) The majority of people should opt for the surround variant of the sample set. The dry sample set will sound very disappointing if used out of the box. Very special treatment must be done to the audio to get the sound you want (but this is the advantage - you shape the instrument exactly to your liking, what is not possible with the surround variant).

I have already had users who bought the dry sample set (because it is much cheaper and because it needs less powerful computer and less RAM) and then they told me openly they were disappointed. For this reason, there is the special "crossgrade" option from the dry to the surround - if you are not happy with the dry, you can get the surround instead for a special price so that you are happy again. But I say openly, dry sample set is usually disappointing if the user is not able to treat it properly and build his own instrument out of it. (Just imagine sitting inside the organ case and listening to the organ music from there - you will be disappointed).

I always say that the dry set is as giving raw pipes to an organbuilder: you must construct your own organ out of this material, you must voice it to suit your needs, you must place it into an acoustic environment (into a real church, or using some reverberation effects), furthermore you must position the divisions to the places where you want them via many and many audio channels ... it is a lot of work left to you. The result is rewarding: it is often behaving as well as real pipes in the given acoustic space so the sound of the organ can hardly be distinguished from a real organ installed in that place. However, it will be a new instrument, it will not sound as the Rotterdam Hoofdorgel in the Laurenskerk. It will sound as if the Hoofdorgel is tranferred from Rotterdam to your environment and revoiced for it.

So, acquiring dry sample set means mostly problems for the "average" Hauptwerk user. The dry sample sets are mostly used by specialized companies who use them for their installations: church installations, live show installations, ensemble performance, mixing into other music, applying tons of effects (like here, for example), etc.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague
http://www.sonusparadisi.cz

murph

PostWed Dec 19, 2012 5:47 am

As said above.

The reverb that I found good for headphones has a very dense set of early reflections, which model the organ case, followed by a smooth tail.
When I spend time on the set, I will be using different chamber models per division (or even per rank. Some of the reeds do not sound nice heard from above!! ) to model the organ case, followed by a longer reverb for the room.
This takes a lot of time to get right, but can be worth it. However, it will NOT give me the Laurenskerk. It will give me an imaginary church I like.
If this approach suits you, It's worth a try. Remember, it takes weeks rather than hours to get right!

Andrew Grahame

PostWed Dec 19, 2012 6:07 am

I am wondering if there is any information available regarding the mixture compositions of the Rotterdam instrument?

Andrew

zurek

PostWed Dec 19, 2012 6:26 am

Sorry, I do not have any special information on the composition of mixtures in this instrument. Just a note that the Bovenwerk Cymbal is very special, it seems to contain a fourth and sixth.

On another topic:
Please note, that the Christmass discount (special lower price) - as announced at the beginning of this topic - ends tomorrow. This is done intentionally, so that we all have nice and quiet Christmass period.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague

pointyflute

PostWed Dec 19, 2012 7:20 am

Hi Jiri,

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you that dry sets are not suitable for out-of-the-box use. I recently acquired a dry Willis set from Silver Octopus and Charles Braund gave me the same advice, and rightly so. However, I am a composer, not an organist, and, as such, I am very interested in instruments which I can revoice to my own purposes.

It certainly takes time, and much trial and error, to adjust a dry set to one's liking, but I think the results are worth it. At the moment, I'm well on the way to having my very own custom Willis. I admit that my first attempts were somewhat crude, but now I'm getting the hang of it.

The Laurenskerk instrument, judging by its specification and the examples on the Sonus Paradisi website and on CBCH, offers a wealth of possibilities to the composer, hence my interest in obtaining the set. I do expect that revoicing, an finding just the right reverb, will take some weeks to achieve, but I think that's a small price to pay. At the end of the process, I should have another very flexible instrument with a variety of tone colours. That being so, I hope to put in an order early in 2013.

All the best,
pointyflute

Andrew Grahame

PostWed Dec 19, 2012 11:56 am

Thanks Jiri. I had noticed a rather interesting sound from the Bovenwerk Cymbal. I will do some listening and testing and see if I can work the compositions out myself. Normally this isn't too hard to do, but I think this organ will present a challenge!

Meanwhile I'm having a wonderful time exploring the glorious sounds generally!

Andrew

OrganoPleno

PostWed Dec 19, 2012 12:38 pm

zurek wrote: Just a note that the Bovenwerk Cymbal is very special, it seems to contain a fourth and sixth.

To my ear, it contains the fourth and sixth up three octaves. That corresponds to the 11th and 13th Harmonics.

jocr

PostWed Dec 19, 2012 2:19 pm

OrganoPleno wrote:To my ear, it contains the fourth and sixth up three octaves. That corresponds to the 11th and 13th Harmonics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_series_%28music%29
If Wikipedia doesn't lie and the blue note is flat and the red note sharp, sort of.

James Pressler

zurek

PostWed Dec 19, 2012 2:51 pm

Sorry to interrupt this physically-acoustic discussion, but I just with to say that the last day when the sample sets will be shipped (if installation media is required) is this comming Friday 21st, during the morning in Prague. After that, there will be no shipping possible due to holiday days. The nearest shipping will take place on 2nd January. I am sorry for this gap.

Orders where no installation media are required should be processed smoothly, though.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague

zurek

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 7:03 am

I will have the Rotterdam DEMO sample set ready for tomorrow. I am looking for one or two volunteers, who would test this demo sample set if it installs and loads correctly in Hauptwerk. This must be someone who has not installed any part of the full Rotterdam sample set before. I need to ensure that the demo sample set will run on a computer free of any part of the full Rotterdam sample set - hence the requirement.
Furthermore, since it is a huge DEMO, you will need to download about 10 GB of data very quickly. Please be aware of this necessity before applying to me as a volunteer.
If you have not installed the Rotterdam sample set before, and you would like to test this demo set, please let me know.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague

Tapadillo

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 6:30 am

Hello Jiri,
I volunteer. I have installed the dry Rotterdam. If it helps, let me know.
Sorry to write so poorly in English. :oops:

Tapadillo

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 6:38 am

am very happy with the sample ... but sometimes I think it would sound better in wet sample, so I think I'll save for the update ...
When I play I like the dry sound, and when I hear it, I prefer a more generous acoustic.
I am a strange animal ... :lol:

If I record the midi Hauptwerk dry and then reproduce it works well in the wet? Recognizes stops changes?

Greetings.

MBar

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 7:47 am

Jiry,
I can eventually participate to this test if not enough volonteers, but I am not, by far, a professional in this matter;
Yours

Michel B

famkramer

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 8:13 am

I had the privilege to download the demo this morning and it sounds wonderful.
It is a complete organ of 24 stops, sampled tremulants in surround.
And ... it's free! :D

Thank you, Mr. Zurek!

Morse

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 12:37 pm

I have just had a quick look at the demo, and it is WONDERFUL!
Unlike most demo organ sets, you can actually play most anything on this one. Jiri does the Hauptwerk community a real favor by providing free, useable demo organs to everyone. So, if you can't afford the real thing, or if you don't have enough computer for it, this demo is a real winner.
Al Morse
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments