It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:10 am

Rotterdam - Laurenskerk - Marcussen Organ available for Haup

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

zurek

Rotterdam - Laurenskerk - Marcussen Organ available for Haup

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 6:18 am

I take the opportunity of the St. Cecily - patron of musicians - feast to inform you, that new sample set was released today. The large 4-manual organ of Laurenskerk, Rotterdam was built by Marcussen & Son in 1973, the organ case was designed by the architect J. W. Besemer. The instrument is based on 32-foot pedal, it consists of six divisions (Rugwerk, Hoofdwerk, Bovenwerk, Borstwerk, Chamadewerk and Pedaal). It is completely mechanical organ with 85 speaking stops and ca. 7600 pipes. It is said to be the largest purely mechanical organ in Europe.
The style of this organ is neo-baroque, but it was designed so as to allow performance of wide range of organ literature. The numerous demo pieces on my web pages prove that this is really possible.

Let me quote a remark of one of the beta-testers of this sample set: This is a remarkably colorful organ whose sound is surprisingly gentle. None of the voicing feels harsh or pushed. Instead, we get double-rank principal stops and large mixtures with many ranks of gently-voiced pipework that result in a natural, unforced sound. In fuller ensembles, the organ roars, but it never screams - even when the chamades are playing. The sound remains beautiful and comfortable even when played for several hours in headphones.

The sample set can be used in Hauptwerk version 4 and higher, the Advanced version is necessary due to the size of the virtual instrument. It is available in surround, wet and dry versions. The surround demands on computer are enormous. To load the full instrument in 20-bits (recommended), 40 GB of RAM are needed, and only the recent quad or six core CPUs are able to handle its tutti without polyphony problems. For the wet portion of the sample set, half of this performance is needed.

One of the innovative features of the instrument is the use of tremulants. As usual, many ranks of Borstwerk, Rugwerk and Bovenwerk offer recorded tremmed samples (recorded tremulants). However, the ranks where no tremulant was recorded (less important stops for a tremulant were not recorded tremmed to save the RAM demands), an alternative (Sonus Paradisi developed) Hauptwerk tremulant model is used which consists of the processing the left and the right channel independently. This gives considerably more convincing results than using plain Hauptwerk tremulant model.

More details, including the specification of the instrument may be found on my web pages. Special price is offered to early purchasers (ending on December, 20th this year). Please note, that there are no installation media ready to be shipped at this moment. Only download is offered. However, the sample set is enormous (42 GB of data to download). If you cannot download this size, please wait for 10 days when the installation media are ready. If you order the sample set from about 6th December onwards, the installation media will be available.

Other forthcomming sample set

I would like to inform you at the same time, that I have begun processing the Doesburg Walcker organ for Hauptwerk. It was recorded by Sonus Paradisi some time ago and now I put all my energy to making a sample set from this remarkable romantic instrument. The preliminary information can be found on my web pages.

Christmass discounts

Furthermore, I have decided to discount some older sample sets to make them still more attractive to potential customers. The discount amount is about 10% from the usual price. It is applied automatically to the shopping cart. The discounted sample sets include: Zwolle, Dom Bedos, Krzeszow, Utrecht, Prague Baroque, Santanyi, Palma, Velesovo. All the discounts end on December 20th, 2012.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague
http://www.sonusparadisi.cz

micdev

Site Admin

Re: Rotterdam - Laurenskerk - Marcussen Organ available for Haup

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 6:31 am

Congratulation Jiri for this other exciting instrument that you are bringing to the Hauptwerk community.

Best regards
François
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

Purator

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 8:02 am

Hello,

to quote Dr. Dr. Sheldon Cooper: "oh goodie, oh goodie, oh goodie." Since the first announcement I have been excited about this organ, as it will fit my four-manual console very well. So the important questions for me are:
- When will there be a playable Demo version? Before christmas?
- Does "You may use the Sample Set on a single computer in non-commercial applications." (from the Terms and Conditions) apply to taking my whole setup to the local church to play a service with the set (but without getting extra payment for bringing the equipment)

Greetings Purator

zurek

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 8:25 am

I am not sure when the demo will be available, it depends on time schedule of my other work, sorry. Usually I add demo only when the initial boom is over, what is to be expected after Christmass.
Use in church is not commecial use.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague

sesquialtera

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 1:37 pm

Thank you Mr Zurek for this new opus !
(The full size, high def. pictures are very nice.)
A live concert in front of this giant organ must be amazing !!

The demos on SP site sounds really great !!
Just listen to the "Toccata Festiva" Wow !!! (thank you, Mr Cooman !)

I think that hauptwerkians need the opposite of a Barker system at home :
something that makes our keyboards harder when couplers are "on" !! :D

zurek

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 2:21 pm

Well, thank you for your kind words. For some people, this organ is magnificent, for some less so. It depends on the personal preferences: I am myself BIG fan of neo-baroque organ design. For me, this kind of an organ represents the essence of organ (well, if I disregard the true baroque instruments which are even more the hard-core of the organ essence for me). However, many people prefer the romantic sound and still other people like only very old instruments from early periods. So, for me, Rotterdam organ is really magnificent, but I know several friends of mine in Netherlands who say that this style of an organ is not their "cup of tea"...
Jiri Zurek,
Prague

micdev

Site Admin

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 2:21 pm

I think that hauptwerkians need the opposite of a Barker system at home :
something that makes our keyboards harder when couplers are "on" !!

If you have CMK manuals you can replace the little tension springs with some "truck coil springs" :shock: You should have plenty of resistance :lol:

Regards
François
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

Anton Heger

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 3:51 pm

but I know several friends of mine in Netherlands who say that this style of an organ is not their "cup of tea"...

Coming from Rotterdam, I have been in this church many times.
One thing is clear to me while listening to the demo's; this is undoubtly the Rotterdam Laurensorgan! Recognizable between thousands of other organs. Very high quality in recording and in preparing it as a sampleset.

Used with care the organ is amazing in his sound, but many players are so impressed by the number of stops that care has gone... They want to use them all, at least once during a concert and then, the sound is really :cry: .
But there are professionals who have shown that there is a lot of beauty in it.

adri

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 11:08 am

zurek wrote:Well, thank you for your kind words. For some people, this organ is magnificent, for some less so. It depends on the personal preferences: I am myself BIG fan of neo-baroque organ design. For me, this kind of an organ represents the essence of organ (well, if I disregard the true baroque instruments which are even more the hard-core of the organ essence for me). However, many people prefer the romantic sound and still other people like only very old instruments from early periods. So, for me, Rotterdam organ is really magnificent, but I know several friends of mine in Netherlands who say that this style of an organ is not their "cup of tea"...

Being a Dutchman, I feel honored that Jiri has gone after several "Dutch" organs. I put Dutch in quotation marks, because it is indeed true that historically my native country has seen an influx of important foreign builders providing organs for some of the larger city churches. Witness names such as Christian Muller, Schonat, the Schnitgers, Christian Vater, Hinsch, Moreau, et.al., And in modern times especially Marcussen (some think the Utrecht Nicolai is his best in NL).

May I also suggest some more of the typical Dutch organ builders, such as:

18th century
Batz, Hinsch (e.g. Harlingen),

17th century
Hagerbeer, Duyschot, Bakker (Medemblik)
Hagerbeer/Schnitger (Alkmaar)

late18th/early 19th:
Freytag (e.g. Zuidbroek, Finsterwolde)
Knipscheer (e.g. Noordwijk)

19th century:
Maarschalkerweerd (e.g. Zwolle, Sneek)
FC Smits (Aarle-Rixtel is my favorite) (Schijndel, Boxtel, Den Bosch)

Also, if Jiri could get to sample Groningen's Martini and/or Aa-Kerk, now that would be a fea(s)t!

Other wonderful organs:
Zaltbommel (Heyneman)
Den Bosch cathedral
Farmsum (Lohman)
Smilde, Middelstum or Steenwijk (van Oeckelen)
Leeuwarden (Chr Muller)
Franeker (van Dam)
Nijmegen (Konig)
Hasselt (Knol)
Dordrecht (Kam)
Utrecht (Museum, Witte)
Delft (Maria van jesse, Maarschalkerweerd)
ETC.!

zurek

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 1:07 pm

Now, that first about 20 users downloaded and installed the Laurenskerk organ, I must again stress that if you are uncertain whether you can download successfully all the 10 installation packages (meaning 10 full DVDs), please postpone your purchase to the time when the installation media are ready, please. This should be around December 5th.

By making the organ available before this time, I wanted to please those who cannot wait and have sufficient knowledge and experience with a download of huge files. The experience shows that one user out of these 20 had serious (and perhaps unrecoverable) problems with the installation and he will probably need to wait until I can send the installation media to him. I am sorry about the problem, but all users were warned: please order now only if you are absolutely sure that you can download everything successfully. I am sure from my side, that all the necessary files are in their place and ready to be downloaded and installed.

To Adri: Yes, Adri, I know that Netherlands is the promissed country for organ. Yes, I am very sorry that I was not born as a Dutchman... but well, I try to do my best. I know several wonderful organs which I would like to record in future. But you - of course - know that it is sometimes very difficult to have permission to sample the good instruments, because many organists and church committees are strongly oposing it. In one very important place, the organist told me face to face: you can record this organ only when I am dead and burried... yes, exactly like that. And he is not any exception, such a reaction is very usual, not only in Netherlands, but (and especially) in Deutschland too.

So, at the end, I record where they let me to record. Just to give an example: For St. Martini in Groningen, I applied already two times during the last 6 years and the request was rejected two times. Well, I did apply for the third time and I wait what will happen. I think that all the sample set producers know these attitudes as well as I know them.

There are a couple of other Dutch organs where I am waiting for the permission to record and the result is unknown and uncertain. Since I am not a "V.I.P" person in an organ world, the church doors remain often closed to me. This is absolutely normal and I do not complain about it, just please accept this as an explanation why certain organs are not in my "portfolio". Of course, if anyone of hauptwerkians can provide an access to an important instrument for me, I assure you that I know how to be grateful. But this is rather obvious. Sometimes people write to me that they can provide access and at the end it turns out that they were not able to do it at all.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague

adri

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 2:26 pm

That an organist would tell you to having to wait till he is "dead and buried" makes no sense at all, especially not legally, because organists are not owners of organs, even though many of them think so, but churches are. It is too bad that many church committees, because of ignorance, rely heavily on the words of their organists and allow them to dictate policy. Organists often say: "This is MY organ." It's really arrogance and very uncharitable and shows lack of hospitality, when you really think about it.

This "almighty" position of an organist has it good and bad sides. Good if they have indeed the best interest of the organ at heart by screening out those enthusiasts who bang on the organ very hard and damage their delicate mechanisms. Sometimes they block people out whose musical tastes may differ greatly, but whose playing techniques are not questionable. Sometimes it is fear of being possibly being associated with the wrong musical crowd, e.g. a baroque oriented purists vs. a Zwart/Asma/et.al. devotee. This dichotomy among "christians" in the Netherlands still persists today, alas.

But in terms of access this is my gripe against overprotective organists and church committees: organists and church committees seem to have totally forgotten to be grateful and appreciative of the general public !

In the Netherlands, via the Monumenten Zorg, organs are restored with the financial assistance of the government. And that means: tax dollars from Dutch companies and the Dutch population. Churches cannot afford to restore their buildings and organs without subsidy from three levels of government: Federal Government, Provincial Government and Municipal Government.

And when the organ is restored, the church closes its organ doors even tighter to the public, unless you pay. Pay for concerts, pay for playing an hour on the organ, pay for making a recording inside, etc. True, the churches need money to maintain their belongings (as that is not subsidized), so it'snot all bad, but many organists and church committees also harshly display overzealous over protective attitudes, thereby often totally forgetting their indebtedness to the general taxpaying public, their actual benefactors!

Thus, when a church closes its doors, they unknowingly become like thieves of other peoples' generosity, and I find this attitude not only extremely materialistic, but also decidedly unchristian, unspiritual, and uncharitable.

Because of tax dollar support, the organs also belong to the general public. As a matter of common courtesy, access should not be flatly denied. It makes no sense from all the points raised above. Good stewardship means openess, open doors, reasonableness, etc.

zurek

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 2:40 pm

Dear Adri, although you are right, I think we simply do not have any means to change this. I am especially touched by your remark about the fear not to be counted with a wrong crowd: yes, this is true in many cases, the crowd meaning those who like or are not firmly against the electonic (digital) organs. Yes, since Hauptwerk is a special kind of a digital organ, many prominent and important organists simply do not wish to get involved with this kind of a "blasphemy". And I must say, I somehow feel with them, I understand... At home, I also have a 5 stop positiv with real pipes, and indeed, it is totally different and delightfull experience to play this instrument, in comparison to a huge digital Hauptwerk organ which is in another room. Also my children, although they did not pass the age of real discretion yet, they also feel the difference naturally, and are often practicing their piano lessons on this small positiv to which they run with joy, but I have never seen them practicing on the Hauptwerk console... And I never told them which instrument they should select. The inclination towards the real pipe is somehow built-in. Yes, real pipes are real pipes.

However, the recording issues in churches are not about money. I am ready and used to pay for recording organ, and I am sure it is much more than a normal CD recording company would pay to the church. This is really not about money. I am not asking anyone to let me in for free to record. This is about the attitude towards the "digital" organ world usually.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague

sesquialtera

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 4:15 pm

The problem seems to be the same in France...
The organ is the property of the state (town hall/council), is used by the church committees, and controled by the organist.
And you need three permissions if you want to do something with an organ.

However, the recording issues in churches are not about money. I am ready and used to pay for recording organ, and I am sure it is much more than a normal CD recording company would pay to the church. This is really not about money. I am not asking anyone to let me in for free to record. This is about the attitude towards the "digital" organ world usually.

It makes me think about "primitive" (or native ) people, in far "uncivilized" countries :
They though that a simple camera will steal their soul ... !

Do they think that a simple microphone will steal the organ's soul and corrupt or pollute it ??

adri

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 5:41 pm

Jiri, et. al.:

Yes, I understand the "hatred" they have against digital. I also deeply dislike commercially available digital organs, especially Allen.

In Holland, there are two main organ magazines, Het Orgel, and De Orgelvriend. The first flatly refuses to carry advertisements by digital organ makers, while the latter does. So, there are two camps in NL.

It's only a matter of time before the analogue world will see the benefits of the digital approach, if indeed it's done right, and Hauptwerk is so much further along getting it and doing it all the right way vis a vis the digital organ factories. I am also a photographer and I was a rather late adopter to digital cameras, and very choosy about it as well.

And yet, many organists will use digital cell phones, digital recorders, digital cameras, PCs, kindle tablets, etc., etc, but don't seem to grasp the tide of the times: organs and digital technology cooperation and integration is here to stay. So, my advice: deal with it, accept it, live with it. This trend cannot be stopped, even though you try to resist it tooth and nail until you die. It's here to stay.

The problem is one of cultural imperialism; the feeling of superiority. But why impose how people should play at home? Why circumvent a Frenchman, an Englishman, a German, or an American, anyone, to play a Dutch organ? A Spanish organ? An Italian organ? Etc.?

What is to be gained by denying that pleasure? It's truly selfish, as I see it. They are free to exercise protests against digital installations in churches, but even that is imperialistic and arrogant, because it is unsympathetic towards the economic situation and musical tastes of the church. They will basically impose that church to get a small tracker positif, that's too small, than allow them the purchase of a digital organ, which is seen as the devil incarnate itself. Imagine in the United States replacing every Hammond organ in certain churches with a small tracker. To me, the attitude against digital, no matter how much I personally passionately dislike certain kinds of digital, is nevertheless nothing but a form of bullying.

Yes, educate people. That's important. Help them make educated choices. But don't impose your will on others. Adam and Eve in the Biblical story were given the freedom to choose, and this freedom, even if it leads to the wrong choice must be preserved. You cannot interfere there. To force someone to choose is to fundamentally deny them the very God-given right to choose freely. I hate living in that kind of world where I can no longer choose.

I used to have that super anti-digital view as well. It was an elitist, arrogant point of view, but I believe I have evolved. I absolutely prefer a good real pipe organ over anything. But who should dictate what I play at home?

And this is the main problem: digital organs have such bad reputation, for all the right (and some wrong) reasons, so the antipathy is understandable. This disdain and hared has its roots in the old analogue electronic organs. which were indeed a poor excuse for an imitation. But we have come such a very long way, especially with the Hauptwerk software, and it's time for this new technology to be more seriously and objectively considered by these purists and elitists.

In many ways, I am still a purist, and this is why I love Hauptwerk, because I play old music authentically on a nice variety of sample sets from different countries and time periods.

True, the only thing still missing, and this hopefully can be addressed technologically, at reasonable costs one would hope, is the issue of authentic tracker touch.

I think I said my peace. Viva Hauptwerk!

kiwiplant

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 7:42 pm

The organ looks and sounds really nice in demo songs! What amazes me is the size of the samples. Do many people have that much RAM to load the entire HW organ? I have 24 GB... thought it was a fairly large amount until seeing the 60 GB requirement. Maybe time for a computer upgrade this coming year. :)
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments