It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:07 am

Rotterdam - Laurenskerk - Marcussen Organ available for Haup

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

zurek

Re: Rotterdam - Laurenskerk - Marcussen Organ available for Haup

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 12:55 pm

OK, two volunteers confirmed now that the sample set is working. Therefore, here it is for all.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague
http://www.sonusparadisi.cz

deWaverley

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 2:08 am

Wow! That looks like an amazingly generous Demo set, Jiri.

I hope it leads to a lot of extra sales for you, when people get to try the organ properly for themselves.

deW

b.natural

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 6:26 pm

Thank you for releasing this wonderful demo. I've been playing it most of the day and it is magnificent. I'm quite curious as to what the other 9/10ths of the organ sounds like...

:)

CarsonCooman

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 6:35 pm

b.natural wrote:I've been playing it most of the day and it is magnificent. I'm quite curious as to what the other 9/10ths of the organ sounds like...

It's a truly superb HW organ, and there are many, many demos now on Contrebombarde in which you can hear the whole instrument.

polikimre

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 10:25 pm

Wow. And this demo is for free? Really? This is amazing. Very clear and precise sound with great acoustics.
Thank you!

eajohnson

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 2:48 pm

Thank you for this demo set, it really is a nice late Christmas gift! I like the simplified stops page. It made set up much easier. Larger European organs can have, to me, unfamiliar arrangements in this regard, so the inclusion of the simplified page is appreciated. I will of course still try to learn the use of the authentic arrangement, as that is part of the educational value of Hauptwerk!

Eric
Owner of an old Schober homebuilt, midified and Hauptwerkified.

1961TC4ME

PostSun Jan 27, 2013 5:16 pm

If anyone with a total of 8GB of RAM (like me) is curious as to what your loading options for this demo are, here you go:

According to the HW available RAM meter, I had a reading today (which varies sometimes by nearly 1GB for some reason :?: ) of 7.5GB before loading the set. Loading just the front ranks with full releases (not the tremmed ranks) including the L/R front ranks and all sounds, disabling everything else (tremmed ranks, rear ranks) it easily loads in 16 bit consuming just over 4 GB, so plenty of memory to spare. It sounds nice!

Again, starting with 7.5 GB available per the HW meter, loading all front (not the tremmed ranks) and all rear ranks full releases, all sounds loaded and disable *tremmed* ranks, in 16 bit it just fits with 0.4GB to spare and it REEAALLY sounds nice! :D

So, it looks in order to load the front "non-tremmed" ranks, including rear ranks and all in full release and all sounds, you will need somewhere in the neighborhood of 7GB or RAM available, give or take + or - a few MB.

If you want to load the front and rear ranks like I did in example #2 here, and you're getting an initial reading of between 6.5 and 7GB prior to loading the set, try it and see what happens. It seems the HW meter is a bit conservative on actual available RAM as in my case it has read anywhere from a low of 6.3GB to over 7 on occasion (as it did today) and the set loaded and played just fine. My rule of thumb has been, once a given set is 50% loaded and you haven't yet used up 50% of the available RAM (or it's really close to 50%), it should load without issue.

Jiri, thanks so much for such a nice demo set!

Marc
Last edited by 1961TC4ME on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sschaub

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 3:51 pm

Jiri,

Thank you very much for making this demo set available. It is beautiful; I particularly enjoy the sampled tremulants. One of the aspects of Hauptwerk that I find lacking is the tremulant model, and I am very glad to see a trend towards including more sampled tremulants in sample sets. Thanks for leading the way.

You have been extremely generous over the years in making nice demo sets available. I have thoroughly enjoyed playing the Velesovo and Zwolle demos. This Rotterdam set has some terrific reeds and mixtures, and I've had fun experimenting with the possibilities over the last couple of days. I would not have considered buying the full set because of my limited RAM (and budget), but I have the feeling this demo set is going to become a favorite set for a variety of literature. It works well for me in non-surround configuration on my 6 GB system, when I use single loops and 16-bit sound.

Stephen

1961TC4ME

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 6:48 pm

Hello Stephen,

Try loading just the front ranks with full releases, disable all other ranks. With your available 6 GB it should load without isse and you should hear an improvement in sound.

Marc

sschaub

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 7:23 pm

1961TC4ME wrote:Hello Stephen,

Try loading just the front ranks with full releases, disable all other ranks. With your available 6 GB it should load without isse and you should hear an improvement in sound.

Marc

Thanks, Marc, I may give that a try!

Stephen

amateurorganist

PostMon Mar 18, 2013 11:57 am

I really, really love this sample set demo! It makes full use of my 32GB RAM memory loading it in at 24bit. My goodness, it makeseven my modest speaker resources sound amazing. I love the acoustic and the bright mixtures. :D

I have a question though: Do I need the rear samples loaded in for my normal 2:1 stereo speaker set up? Or could I disable them without affected the acoustics or quality of sound.

1961TC4ME

PostMon Mar 18, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi Greg,

Funny you should ask, myself and another Hauptwerkian were just discussing the same. I've got the Rotterdam set up in 2 different instances of HW just for this reason and have now listened through my headphones, 2 speakers and multi-channel. I'm not hearing a huge difference and it may more boil down to personal preference. Loading just the front ranks to me has a slightly less revereberant more up close sound, maybe a bit more choppy sounding between notes, whereas loading all ranks including the rear ranks is more smooth to me if you will with better realisim, and a bit more reverberant since you are including the more distant sound of the rear recordings. All of this for me has been more noticeable through my headphones and more of a toss-up with my speakers, I prefer speakers over headphones anyways. I would say, set it up in the two different instances and load each accordingly to compare and see which you like better.

Marc

amateurorganist

PostMon Mar 18, 2013 8:20 pm

I think I will just leave it as it is, Marc. It's quite scary you need 48GB to load the full set if you want the highest resolution! :shock:

zurek

Re: Rotterdam - Laurenskerk - Marcussen Organ available for

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 9:01 am

I published the version 1.45 of the Rotterdam Hoofdorgel sample set today.

Both variants (surround and dry) have a new MIXER tab, including features of Pipe Coupling and Pipe Detune, allowing to set the level of mistuning of the pipes of the virtual instrument. Fine Tuned Mixtures (and multi-rank diapason ranks as well!) available via a dedicated switch. You can clearly hear from the new demos on my web, that the effect of the pipe coupling and detuning has tremendous impact on the "realism" of the sample set.

A demo sample setcan be downloaded (as usualy) from my web.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague
http://www.sonusparadisi.cz

mnailor

Re: Rotterdam - Laurenskerk - Marcussen Organ available for

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 9:54 am

Jiri,

The download links on my Products page jump back to My Dashboard with the message "There was an error with Your Download."

There aren't any upgrade prices on the organ's Orders page, so I'm not sure what to do.

Using Chrome.
Thank you.
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments