It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:41 am

Physical modelling soft synth to work with Hauptwerk?

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

organsRgreat

Physical modelling soft synth to work with Hauptwerk?

PostMon Dec 09, 2013 4:09 pm

Does anyone know of a physical modelling software synthesiser that could be used to add stops to Hauptwerk? My reason for asking is that, however large and comprehensive a sample set may be, one often longs for one or two sounds that are not present. One stop not often seen is the Orchestral Trumpet; in England there's a splendid one on the Christie/HNB organ in the Dome, Brighton, which Douglas Reeve used to great effect. But Father Willis, for example, seems never to have provided that sound; his high powered reed stops were either trumpets or tubas. Wurlitzer's English Horn is a good equivalent, but more suitable for popular music than serious idioms.

In the days of hardware synthesisers, the Technics WSA (1995) was good at providing pipe organ voices. It used “acoustic modelling” - half-way between physical modelling (which is totally mathematical) and sample-based synthesis. A range of samples was provided, which could be coupled in various ways to resonators such as pipes, cones etc. With the advances in computer power since then, it must be possible to do much more in software. The program would need to be VST compatible, to work alongside Hauptwerk.

I'm sure there's suitable software out there, but exploring all the options is a time-consuming process, so it would be helpful to know if any other forum member has experimented along these lines. I've tried the demo version of Tassman, but found it awkward to program, and the sounds were rather dull. Reaktor Steam Pipe 2 sounds promising – anyone tried it?

Return to Hauptwerk instruments