It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:26 am

New Features for Caen Sampleset

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

johnstump_organist

Re: New Features for Caen Sampleset

PostThu Nov 05, 2015 11:56 pm

I might suggest a manual 32' flue on the Grand Orgue and a 32 reed (Bassoon?) on the Recit.
Gives some possibility for Gravitas without having to have everything brought couples down with the 16 couplers.
John

subbas32

PostFri Nov 06, 2015 2:48 am

Hello John,

I might suggest a manual 32' flue on the Grand Orgue and a 32 reed (Bassoon?) on the Recit.

Thanks for your suggestion! This is something that we could add to the "Ext Simple 2" page view (ie, not the extension in the style of Cavaillé-Coll). The one challenge that we run into is that there isn't a lot of space for new stops on the page layout.

Do you have suggestions for the ranks that you would like to use for these ranks? They would be unified, as I don't plan to add new ranks in the update.

Best regards,

Jake

ludu

PostFri Nov 06, 2015 3:16 am

subbas32 wrote:The one challenge that we run into is that there isn't a lot of space for new stops on the page layout.

What do you mean about an unification of the "Simple 2" and "Extra" pages together in Left and Right "Simple 2" pages? There is still free space on the "Extra" page in order to receive a part of the "Simple 2" page and it could give the possibility to use two monitors for the extended organ.
Luc

subbas32

PostFri Nov 06, 2015 3:54 am

What do you mean about an unification of the "Simple 2" and "Extra" pages together in Left and Right "Simple 2" pages?

Thanks for your suggestion, Luc. Yes, this would definitely solve the issue of space. One thing to keep in mind is that there are users who only use 1 touch screen and so it would be important that we only put the extra stops on the "Extra" page view.

Best regards,

Jake

ludu

PostFri Nov 06, 2015 5:03 am

OK Jake. And if the "Simple 2" page was in the style of the Wide Extended Stops View, don't you have space enough for the all the switches?
Luc

subbas32

PostFri Nov 06, 2015 5:29 am

And if the "Simple 2" page was in the style of the Wide Extended Stops View, don't you have space enough for the all the switches

Ah yes, Luc, you're right. In any event the "Ext Simple 2" page view will need to be expanded for the pedal split point controls and the new couplers.

Quick update on the status. At this point most of the previously mentioned features have been added. The main outstanding tasks are updating the graphics and adding the pedal split point. I will be updating the manual with details on the new features once the programming is done.

Best regards,

Jake

ludu

PostFri Nov 06, 2015 5:49 am

subbas32 wrote:I will be updating the manual with details on the new features once the programming is done.

And I will translate it in French, of course!
Luc

johnstump_organist

PostFri Nov 06, 2015 9:06 am

If it is going to be unified, then probably a Bourdon 32,but could also be an extended Montre. I have seen real-life versions of a Montre 32 with a stopped bourdon bottom octave. Use the lightest 16 Montre available and borrow the bottom 12 notes from the Pedal 32 since when using it one is seldom going to be playing in the bottom octave.
John

subbas32

PostFri Nov 06, 2015 1:41 pm

And I will translate it in French, of course!

Thanks, Luc, I appreciate the help!

If it is going to be unified, then probably a Bourdon 32,but could also be an extended Montre.

Sounds good, John, I'll do some experimenting. I suppose it would also work to have the stop go down to tenor C, because like you already mentioned, it is very unlikely that it would be used in the bottom octave.

Thanks,

Jake

Doc

PostFri Nov 06, 2015 1:53 pm

Thank you very much for your work : this extension is fantastic :) I have a lot of fun playing it.
Doc

subbas32

PostFri Nov 06, 2015 5:28 pm

Thanks, Doc, for your feedback!

These have been on Contrebombarde for some time, but just wanted to share a few recordings made by Dutch organist Anton Doornhein. These recordings were specifically made to demonstrate some of the sound colours of the 4-manual Caen extension:
http://www.contrebombarde.com/concertha ... listen/669

Best,

Jake

subbas32

PostMon Dec 14, 2015 6:28 pm

Hello,

The update (version 2.0) for the 4-manual Caen extension is nearing completion. I expect it can be released before the end of the month. The update is free for anybody who owns version 1.0 of the 4-manual Caen extension.

Most of the changes only impact the "Ext Simple 2" page view (the page view with the features that are not in the style of Cavaillé-Coll). Here is a screen shot of the new "Ext Simple 2" page view which summarizes the changes:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/te94x4l8sts5smj/ExtSimple2.bmp

Summary of Changes

1. Addition of new stops unified from existing ranks. Where necessary, an extra octave of pipes was added such that the new stops also speak in the lowest octave of keyboard:
    GO Montre 32' (from GO Montre 16')
    Pos Salicional 16' (from Pos Salicional 8')
    Pos Flageolet 1' (from Pos Flageolet 2')
    Réc Viole de gambe 16' (from Réc Viole de gambe 8')
    Réc Clarinette 4' (from Réc Clarinette 8')
    Péd Flûte 2' (from GO Flûte octaviante 4')
    Péd Clairon 2' (from GO Clairon 4')
2. Manual and pedal super-octave couplers

3. "Unison Off" coupler

4. Registration "cancel" for each division

5. Divided pedal (also called split pedal), with an adjustable split point

6. Automatic pedal registration feature, similar to the automatic piano pedal found on Doesburg

7. Possibility of moving a selection of GO stops (Cornet V and GO reeds) to the extra division for a 5 manual configuration

8. Easy to read indicators for the position of the swell pedals

9. The volume of keyboard noises of the Grand Choeur are now adjustable independently from the other keyboards

10. Ranks using the dual channel tremulant model developed by Sonus Paradisi now automatically load in mono (instead of stereo)

A more detailed description will follow once I finish updating the user manual.

Pricing
Putting this extension together was a huge amount of work and with the number of copies I've sold, the hourly wage ended up being around US $4 per hour. Consequently, I do plan to raise the price of this extension starting in January 2016. Please consider the current price of US $60 (includes $15 for dongle update) an end-of-the year sale :). I hope this is acceptable to people.

Best regards,

Jake

profeluisegarcia

PostTue Dec 15, 2015 10:16 pm

subbas32 wrote:
Putting this extension together was a huge amount of work and with the number of copies I've sold, the hourly wage ended up being around US $4 per hour.

Jake

Hello Jake:
Using Pointflute´s words, you Haupt-Workers are are giving us a "labour of love".

I wish pleasant days for all of us¡¡
Luis

162_Ranks

PostWed Dec 16, 2015 9:38 am

Jake,

Just as soon as I can afford Caen itself I'll be in!

Brad

tomaszartur

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 10:45 am

Hello Jake,

Happy New Year!

May I ask when the new update would be available please?

Best wishes,

Tom
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments