It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:16 am

World famous organ of Martinikerk Groningen will come

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

JulianMoney-Kyrle

Re: World famous organ of Martinikerk Groningen will come

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 4:20 am

Arjan,
Thank-you for that information. However, I am in London at the moment and my organ is in Wiltshire.

Organopleno,
I ordered it on 14th February so I would imagine it is the current version then.

Thank-you both for your help.

There is another strange thing which I have noticed with the sample set, and that is that, with some of the principal stops, quite often at the beginning of the note the sound fades in gradually (maybe over a fifth of a second or a bit less) in a way that doesn't sound like the starting transient of a pipe speaking. It doesn't always happen, so I suppose the attack is multi-sampled and only some of the samples behave like that. It seems to affect several different surround channels so I don't think it is the perspective of the microphones. However, I don't like it very much. I haven't experimented enough to define exactly when it occurs - I am waiting until I have installed more RAM so that I can see if it goes away with all channels working properly. I would also like to listen again to recordings of this organ (of which I have quite a few) for comparison. However, I would be interested to know if anybody else has noticed the same thing. I don't know anything about sample production, but I would imagine that the recording of a sample starts before the note is played and the beginning of the recording is trimmed, maybe with a brief fade-in at the start - if that is the case then perhaps some of these samples are fading in too slowly. It is intrusive enough to have put me off playing this organ, and has been quite surprising as SP samplesets usually sound so natural. I got Noordbroek at the same time, which is so good that I can hardly tear myself away from playing it to the exclusion of everything else.

Julian

bourdon

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 6:09 am

Could you define "fade in" , please ?
And do you get only this effect only ( or mainly) on principal foundation stops , or does it sound louder when you add mixtures ,or with reeds ? Is it also the same on all keyboards ?
In any case, I don't either hear anything "unusual" on Noordbroek.

mdyde

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 8:40 am

Hello Julian,

I have no experience myself with the sample set, but just in case it's configured to use MIDI velocity to shape note attacks (for tracker-action response modelling), you could try setting 'MIDI key velocity sensitivity ..' to zero on the 'Organ settings | Organ preferences | Audio engine' screen tab.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 11:56 am

Unfortunately, as I did say in my post, I am not in a position to investigate this in more detail at the moment because I am in London and my organ is in Wiltshire. Also the problem seems to be with Groningen, not Noordbroek.

Martin - I did get the impression that it made a difference how hard I struck the keys, so possibly there is a velocity effect, but this could have been coincidence if the attack samples were simply randomised; I didn't do enough trials to distinguish between the two. It is my understanding that very few of the many organs available for HW are velocity-sensitive, though I don't know whether Groningen is one of them. If so, then thank-you for a simple fix.

I will investigate further when I am back in Wiltshire, but this is likely to be several weeks as I have to be away for a number of medical appointments.

mnailor

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 2:30 pm

All the SP samplesets have velocity sensitive attacks.

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 7:30 pm

Thank-you, Mike, for letting me know this. My keyboard is also velocity sensitive, but I don't know how useful that is in practice, particularly if what I consider to be normal playing produces a low-velocity signal, which might explain what is going on here. If that is the case then it should be straightforward to adjust or limit how HW interprets it, and I will be able to enjoy Groningen as much as I had originally hoped.

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 4:44 pm

I am now back in Wiltshire and I have fiddled with the velocity settings for my keyboards with Groningen. When I disable velocity sensing it sounds like an organ again and not an accordian. I haven't yet figured out a setting that will allow me to vary the touch while keeping it behaving sensibly most of the time, so it is something for my to-do list but not at the top of it.

mdyde

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 3:18 am

Thanks, Julian. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ArjanK

PostWed May 12, 2021 7:26 am

2 years ago Sietze de Vries posted a demonstration of the Martinikerk Groningen organ on Youtube in Dutch.

An English version is available since yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4zgkOW53_0

It's every time amazing to play on the sample set of this organ. Can you imagine what the experience on the real organ will be?

voet

PostWed May 12, 2021 10:08 am

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Arjan. Sietze de Vries gave a wonderful tour of a magnificent organ.

bourdon

PostWed May 12, 2021 10:35 am

Thanks a lot for the information: this demonstration of the organ, in english, by S. de Vries is very pleasant and very interesting.
Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments