It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 am

4 manual modern organ for Hauptwerk (Sonus Paradisi)

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

zurek

4 manual modern organ for Hauptwerk (Sonus Paradisi)

PostTue Apr 07, 2020 3:06 pm

There is a new sample set from Sonus Paradisi. The organ of the Billerbeck Dom (DE). Orgelbau Fleiter constructed the organ in 2008-2014. The instrument has 72 speaking stops distributed across four manuals and pedal.

The organ has been designed predominantly in the French symphonic style, although it incorporates elements from other traditions so that the result is an eclectic universal organ. It has five divisions: four manuals and pedal. The Hauptwerk and Chamadenwerk are located in the organ case on the right side (north side). The Schwellwerk is in the case on the left (south side). The Pedal sits at the back, behind both the historical cases and offers, among other stops, three 32' voices. The Rückpositiv on the balustrade of the organ gallery is enclosed in a swell box and contains 12 voices of mixed (French and German) traditions. The Hauptwerk and Schwellwerk voices were inspired by the French style of voicing developed by A. Cavaillé-Coll. The flutes of the Schwellwerk, including the mutations (aliquotes), are made of overblowing pipes. The Chamadenwerk offers solo stops in addition to the en chamade trumpets, namely the Vox Ludgeri, a clarinet-like reed, and the Flûte harmonique.

Numerous audio demos are available on the web pages of Sonus Paradisi.

The sample set will start selling at the end of this week.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague
http://www.sonusparadisi.cz

Anto800

Re: 4 manual modern organ for Hauptwerk (Sonus Paradisi)

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 12:47 am

Hi Jiri, this is great news, I have watched and heard your new sample and it looks truly spectacular. The very low price leaves me a little perplexed: are you sure about this? because if this were the case I would order it immediately...

Arp

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 6:09 am

Dear Jiri, is it possible reduce surround to 4 channel or only stereo and fit in 48 Gb ram using 20-bit resolution and original tremulant? My mac is 48 Gb ram , 46 free.
Thanks

Anto800

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 7:12 am

Arp wrote:Dear Jiri, is it possible reduce surround to 4 channel or only stereo and fit in 48 Gb ram using 20-bit resolution and original tremulant? My mac is 48 Gb ram , 46 free.
Thanks

Absolutely yes, just exclude the parts you don't want to load with the "rank enable" function set to "no"

Arp

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 8:09 am

Thanks for the reply

zurek

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 1:40 pm

Arp wrote: is it possible reduce surround to 4 channel or only stereo and fit in 48 Gb ram using 20-bit resolution and original tremulant?

Disabling individual ranks is certainly possible, see the Hauptwerk user manual, or my web pages.

For Billerbeck, I tried now loading the sample set with all the "rear" ranks disabled, but all the tremulant ranks enabled. It is 31.4 GB in 16-bits. Therefore, it would be about 54 GB in 20-bits. It will still not fit into your RAM. Perhaps, you will need to load a portion of the ranks in 16-bit instead. Try the pedal ranks - since pedal does not play much polyphony, 16-bit will not do much harm to it. Or perhaps loading some tremmed ranks in 16-bit? Anything would work to make the sample set fit into your RAM.

Simply load the less important (less used) ranks in 16-bits.

The bit resolution, as we know, is only important to get the lower noise floor. With many stops enabled and with long reverb (such as Billerbeck), the quantization hiss produced at 16-bits resolution will be heard at the end of release tails. Therefore, the most-used ranks should be loaded in 20-bits, if possible.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague

Jan Loosman

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 2:27 pm

In Hauptwerk V5 you can also use another sort off bas-split function when you cach your organ for the first time.
There is a second bassplit screen when you load your organ.
You can choose on this screen a bassplit point on each stop and use this to load the part under that certain bassplitt point in a lower resolution. This is a feature in V5
See this topic
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18165&p=137010&hilit=Bass+split#p137010
So this is an alternative way to save memory with larger samplesets.

Regards Jan

jwillans

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 7:46 am

This looks and sounds very exciting and the price is really attractive. The fact that it works with HW4 is a bonus, well done to all involved.

jwillans

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 7:55 am

A question if I may - how much memory would a single stereo pair speaker require (i.e. just the main samples)?

zurek

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 10:35 am

Since there are 3 perspectives (direct, diffuse, rear), each takes about 1/3 of RAM. The estimation of any setup is therefore easy.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague

1961TC4ME

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 10:42 am

zurek wrote:Since there are 3 perspectives (direct, diffuse, rear), each takes about 1/3 of RAM. The estimation of any setup is therefore easy.

Hello Jiri,

So just to be clear, a person could load just diffuse and rear, or just direct and nothing else as an example if they wanted? I've got a grand total of 32GB at my disposal and I'm trying to figure out if I can make decent use of this set.

Marc

CarsonCooman

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 10:46 am

1961TC4ME wrote:So just to be clear, a person could load just diffuse and rear, or just direct and nothing else as an example if they wanted? I've got a grand total of 32GB at my disposal and I'm trying to figure out if I can make decent use of this set.

Most definitely. Frankly, with this organ you can easily load just diffuse alone, and the sound is extremely richly resonant.

1961TC4ME

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 10:54 am

CarsonCooman wrote:
1961TC4ME wrote:So just to be clear, a person could load just diffuse and rear, or just direct and nothing else as an example if they wanted? I've got a grand total of 32GB at my disposal and I'm trying to figure out if I can make decent use of this set.

Most definitely. Frankly, with this organ you can easily load just diffuse alone, and the sound is extremely richly resonant.

Hello Carson,

Thank you, that's good to know. I see you did quite a few of the audio demos for this set, so I imagine you've had ample time in the saddle with the set. I've been listening to the demos and I'm quite impressed with the sound of this instrument. Seems the space is very ideal and Jiri nailed it finding the sweet spot for the mics.

Marc

zurek

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 12:29 pm

I am always delighted to see that my sample sets contributes to the computer abilities of the Hauptwerk audience. It seems, that some people are now about to discover the usefulness of the Rank/AudioRouting/Memory options dialog in Hauptwerk. How nice!

Indeed, you can load any desired subset of ranks of any instrument, if you need to do so. Disabling some ranks saves a lot of RAM, if there are physical limitations of the computer. This is one of the native features of Hauptwerk, introduced with Hauptwerk 2 [almost] decades ago.
    Yes, you can load only the diffuse solo ranks, if desired, simply disable all the other ranks.
    Yes, you can load only the diffuse+rear ranks, if desired, simply disable the direct ranks.
    Yes, you can load only the direct+rear ranks, if desired, simply disable the diffuse ranks.
    Yes, you can load only the "straight sound" ranks, if desired, by disabling all the tremmed ranks.
    Yes, you can load only the principal chorus, if desired, by disabling all the other ranks.
    Yes, you can load ... [put whatever here] ... by disabling everything else, if so desired.
    This is true not only for Billerbeck, but for any sample set.
An easy introduction to this is, for example, here: http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/blog/how ... ample-set/

It is nice to experiment with Hauptwerk, it has powerful dialog boxes which can do a lot of useful services, whenever necessary. The Hauptwerk user manual says it all. But it is sometimes too much reading (at least for me, the florid language used by the creator of Hauptwerk is sometimes difficult to understand). There are some simple technical support texts on my web pages too. It may be worth visiting them one day.
http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/blog/
Jiri Zurek,
Prague

jwillans

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 12:57 pm

Has the price changed from the one shown yesterday (but no longer displayed)?
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments