It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:07 am

Urakami Cathedral French-romantic organ from Nagasaki

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Csaba Huszty

Urakami Cathedral French-romantic organ from Nagasaki

PostMon Jul 20, 2020 2:00 pm

Dear All,

It is with great pleasure to share with you that the virtual version of the French-romantic Mander organ of the 浦上天主堂 (Urakami Cathedral), from Nagasaki, Japan, is now available. The recording effort was a true adventure, and the organ is truly magnificent.

A review of the virtual instrument can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dycV83TfxzM

More information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculat ... ,_Nagasaki

https://www.inspiredacoustics.com/en/pr ... i/overview

The Hauptwerk 4 version of the organ is the same as the Hauptwerk V version (except for the impulse response reverb) and it is not requiring a dongle update.
Yours truly,
Dr. Csaba Huszty

StephenM

Re: Urakami Cathedral French-romantic organ from Nagasaki

PostSat Jul 25, 2020 5:40 am

As usual I downloaded the trial version with much expectation.
I don't fiddle with much InspireAcoustics but they seem to have something most interesting ready to announce.
The trial version has 14 of the 52 stops.
The simple screen only shows the 14 stops. Very good.
But what the web site doesn't say is that the trial version cuts out every 30 seconds.
After about 5 minutes playing the frustration reaches for the uninstall menu.

Sorry
Stephen

Andrew Grahame

PostSat Jul 25, 2020 6:51 am

Hi Stephen,

You're not alone!

Andrew

murph

PostMon Jul 27, 2020 2:16 pm

On a slightly different note, this may be the last chance to get a sampled Mander, as they have just gone into liquidation.

Andrew Grahame

PostMon Jul 27, 2020 2:36 pm

Perhaps not. While it's definitely sad to see the demise of this famous firm, I would imagine that their long list of splendid existing instruments won't disappear overnight. It's therefore possible that another might be sampled at some future date. Many Hauptwerk sample sets have been created of organs still standing today whose original builders have long gone.

brooke.benfield

PostTue Jul 28, 2020 11:34 am

Several years ago, I found that on the PAB demo, doing a Reset Audio/MIDI reset the timer for another uninterrupted 15 minutes. It just may do the same on this new demo.
Brooke Benfield
Organist, Gethsemane Lutheran Church
Portland OR

Andrew Grahame

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 6:34 am

Thanks for the hint, Brooke. I've just tried this, but with only limited success. It appears that the 15-minute time limit can be reset with this method, but there's nothing "uninterrupted" about that 15 minutes. The audio keeps cutting out after only a matter of seconds each time. It's impossible to actually play even a short piece through, and just as I start to get the feel of a stop or combination it goes dead. Also, Hauptwerk crashed when I went to reset audio/MIDI a second time. I've found it just impossible to get any real idea of what this instrument sounds like with this kind of distraction. I've also looked for demos, but apart from the 2 videos linked from the IA website (both quite interesting) I've found nothing. I've been unable to locate any performances within the Contrebombarde Concert Hall. That doesn't mean to say that there aren't any in there - just that if there are I've been unable to find them, wherever they might be. Such a shame that it's so hard to evaluate what could be a significant addition to the Hauptwerk sample set library. (Sorry, Csaba - I wish I could be more optimistic!). Also, to anyone else who's managed to get some sounds going - I'm wondering if I'm the only person who's noticed a weird "squeal" from the Great Mixture?

brooke.benfield

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 7:34 pm

Hi Andrew;

Too bad my hint doesn't seem to work the same as back in early 2013 with the PAB.

I'm also interested in this instrument but haven't bothered with the demo just yet.
Brooke Benfield
Organist, Gethsemane Lutheran Church
Portland OR

Andrew Grahame

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 7:41 pm

Hi Brooke,

I've sent you a PM.

Andrew

Csaba Huszty

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 3:00 pm

Dear All,

We are very much open to offer trial licenses for the full organ, should there be significant interest. This will only work with Hauptwerk 5, though, by using its licensing system, and you will have to download the full sample set for its evaluation. If you think this should be the way we should do trials, please send us a support ticket about it.
Yours truly,
Dr. Csaba Huszty

Andrew Grahame

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 3:59 pm

Even just an iLok code to allow the trial sample set to operate without audio dropouts for a week or so would be helpful.

IainStinson

PostThu Aug 06, 2020 3:08 am

It would be good to be able to try the full instrument for limited number of days. I would be interested in being able to buy an iLOK code to give access for say 15 days which I could then convert to a full purchase. The charge for the trial should only be nominal to perhaps contribute to the cost of the iLOK licence. One other supplier has done this recently and I found it most helpful in evaluating the instrument before I purchase the full licence.

Iain

Andrew Grahame

PostThu Aug 06, 2020 3:16 am

Agreed. There are other potential benefits to iLok beyond the just replacing the old dongle licensing system.

The early days of Hauptwerk - with the program itself, as well as some early sample sets - involved things like a chime sounding every 15 seconds, or periodic silencing of audio (as in this instance) to render an evaluation version useless in the long term. Maybe the time has come to rethink in light of the availability of iLok.

I too have received an iLok code permitting an unrestricted 2-week trial period of a full sample set from another producer. I'm currently awaiting the arrival of the media in physical form - which I've paid for - because download problems at my end defeated my attempts to get the files that way.

I think this would be a good option for all sample set producers to consider now that the iLok system has been adopted for HW V.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments