It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:08 am

Free Custom Organ Definition for St. Anne's

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

larason2

Free Custom Organ Definition for St. Anne's

PostWed Oct 07, 2020 5:47 pm

Following up on my last release, I have put together a custom organ significantly expanding on the capabilities of the St. Anne's set included with Hauptwerk. In many ways, the organ is similar to the St. Louis IX organ I released for St. Eucaire, but using St. Anne's stops. It is only 2 channel, as is St. Anne's. I named it after a Roman Catholic saint I admire, St. Augustine of Canterbury.

I spent some work on trying to port this to Hauptwerk IV, but in the end, the computer I have Hauptwerk IV installed on became too slow and unstable, so I couldn't finish the work. I got it working, but I had some bizarre display issues I couldn't resolve, and I'm still not sure what I did wrong. If anyone else has any success in this department, let me know.

I hope it will be useful to someone! Let me know if there are any comments or problems with the file. Feel free to message me if you would like the original CODM file (For which I have a Hauptwerk IV version).

https://carlosjlara.wixsite.com/catholicmythology/organ

IainStinson

Re: Free Custom Organ Definition for St. Anne's

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 9:55 am

I've been looking at the details of your organ built on St Anne's.

I'm particularly interested in the Mixtures you have added. (I'm not near HW at present.... so ) Could you tell me please,
are each of the components on the mixtures "independent" ranks? If they are, which St Anne's "base" ranks did you use?
I assume the mixtures are all equal temperament (i.e. perfect intervals, no tempering), is that the case?

I was looking at the composition of the German Mixture on the Great in your documentation. At bottom C you say it is
2ft, 1 1/3ft, 1/2ft, 1/3ft, and 1/4ft, which would be 15 19 29 33 36; an octave up it becomes 19 22 26 29 33 then 15 19 22 26 29 etc. Making the breaks in the way you have done should give a smooth transition across the keyboard.
I'm looking forward to trying the organ when I get home again.

Thanks for sharing.

Iain

larason2

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 10:25 pm

Thanks for your feedback! Other have also commented on my mixtures, I’m glad you liked them. I’m planning on making a blog post where I go through mixture design in more detail, but I can briefly explain what I did for this organ.

Generally I use flute or principal ranks for my mixtures, and in this case I believe I used St. Anne’s Fifteenth 2 for the Great German mixture ranks. Depending on the harmonics, I voice them by decreasing the harmonic amplitude (usually -3 at top and bottom, and -2 for the wind model top and bottom). For a complex mixture like this, I create a custom rank for each run of pipes. For instance, for all the 2’ pipes, I will have one CODM rank. If there is a split in the pipes, I will make two ranks (say, there is a 2' from midi note 36 to 47, then again from 60 to the top). Then I do the 1’, 1/2’, 1/4’ etc., then go lower - 4’, 8’, etc. Then I do the same for the 1 1/3' ranks. For each rank, I adjust which sample is used so it corresponds to the actual pipe size (for a 1' rank, +12, for a 1 1/3' rank, +8, for instance), and I use the appropriate harmonic number (so they are all tuned harmonically). I then listen to the mixture and if I think it is too bright, I will back off on the volume of each rank. However, I usually only start decreasing the volume for ranks over 1 1/3', and the higher they go, the more I decrease the volume. For instance, for this mixture, The 2' was volume 0, the 1' -1, the 1/2' -2, and the 1/4' -3. Therefore, for a 3 rank mixture, I will often need 5-7 ranks, depending on the mixture design.

When I was developing this mixture design, I found that it created a more interesting variation as I went up the scale if I varied which ranks were omitted. For instance, in the example you mention, I omit the 2' in the second octave, but reintroduce it in the third octave. There is no 1' or 2/3' in the first octave, but they both appear in the second octave.

I’m also working on a version of this organ where I improve the voicing of the tremulant and a few other tweaks. I will post here when it is done.

larason2

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 3:37 pm

I’m still working on updating this CODM/ODF, but I thought I would let everyone know of a side project I did. Based on this organ, I produced a 2 manual specification for a fellow organist, and recently I sent it also to a few people on the organ forum that seemed to like it. So I thought I would let you know about it here too in case anyone is interested or would find it helpful. It is also 2 manuals like St. Anne’s, using St. Anne’s samples, but with different voicing to make it more suitable for a wider range of repertoire. Compared to St. Augustine’s, I adjusted all the tremulants so they are gentler. I also have a Hauptwerk IV version available (since I just learned how to back port!). Here is the specification:

Great:
Open Diapason 16
Open Diapason Large 8
Open Diapason Small 8
Lieblich Gedackt 8
Dulciana 8
Octave 4
Clear Flute 4
Quint 2 2/3
Fifteenth 2
Mixture IV
Cornet V
Trumpet 16
Trumpet 8
Clarion 4

Swell:
Geigen Principal 8
Rohr Flute 8
Viole de Gambe 8
Flute Celeste 8
Voix Celeste 8
Harmonic Gedackt 4
Salicet 4
Nasard 2 2/3
Piccolo 2
Tierce 1 3/5
Larigot 1 1/3
Mixture III
Trumpet 8
Oboe 8
Clarinet 8

Pedal:
Open Diapason 16
Subbass 16
Principal 8
Gamba 8
Bass Flute 8
Fifteenth 4
Mixture IV
Trombone 16
Trumpet 8
Trumpet 4

Since I’m not sure if this is of interest to anybody, I won’t be posting it on my website. But if you are interested, feel free to send me a private message and I can send you the download links. I hope to be able to update the other organs posted, but I have been quite busy with other projects!

Return to Hauptwerk instruments