It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 am

Two small instruments

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Charles Braund

Two small instruments

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 12:10 pm

I am pleased to announce the official release of two new small facsimile instruments.
The first is a typical box / continuo type of organ by a modern English builder as can be found in many universities and the second is an example of the smaller type of late Victorian instrument that can be found in many country churches throughout the UK.
Special thanks must be given to Olivia Nagioff who designed and developed the graphics.
Further details together with demos of the Prosser can be found at:

https://www.silveroctopus.co.uk/e-j-johnson-chamber-organ
https://www.silveroctopus.co.uk/prosser-1883

Both were sampled close to the pipes from a player's perspective but the latter also includes a more distant listeners perspective.

These two new instruments join the three facsimile pre Victorian chamber organs released earlier.

IainStinson

Re: Two small instruments

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 2:13 pm

Where is the Prosser organ please?

Is in Batcombe Church (Blessed Virgin Mary)?

I found this entry on the NPOR which matches the stop list
https://www.npor.org.uk/NPORView.html?RI=A00337 though the picture is not such a good match.

Some of the pictures from that church on the web do seem to be similar to the pictures in your description.

Thanks.

Iain

Charles Braund

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 5:08 pm

Yes, Iain, you are quite correct.
Since there are so very few Prosser instruments in existence, it was not too difficult to work out.The only other ones that they could have been (given my location) would have been Barwick or Buckland Dinham which are almost identical. The one at Westbury just over the border in Wiltshire is completely unplayable.
As regards the Johnson, this is also not too difficult to work out and it is the one at St. Peter, Shepton Montague as opposed to the one listed at Shepton Mallet - an erroneous entry in the N.P.O.R. which is a confused addition due to the similar names.

Andrew Grahame

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 6:12 pm

Hi Charles,

Could you verify the price of the Johnson sample set please. The website says 25 GBP but the amount appears as 55 GBP when the Paypal window opens.

Andrew

Charles Braund

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 8:31 pm

My apologies Andrew,
It should be £25.00 and not £55.00.
Thanks,
CB

Andrew Grahame

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 8:31 pm

Thanks Charles.

Andrew Grahame

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 9:58 pm

Hi Charles,

The story you give on your website about being locked in the church in a remote rural location while sampling the Johnson organ reminds me of a similar incident I experienced many years ago.

In December 1984 I purchased a derelict but restorable 2-manual and pedal reed organ (by the Dominion company of Canada) from a disused church in a remote village in the Hunter Valley area of New South Wales. The church building had been sold and was subsequently transformed into a residence.

I drove up late one day with several friends and a hired truck. It was cheaper to hire the truck at night, and much cooler in the Australian summer to carry out this work after the sun had gone down. We worked through the night to dismantle and remove the sizeable instrument, driving back with it to Sydney in the early hours of the morning.

All church furnishings had been removed and electricity to the building had been disconnected, so we came equipped with torches and a gas-powered camping lamp. Half-way through the work we received a visit from the local police. They'd been summoned by residents across the road from the church who were concerned at the hive of activity at midnight in an empty church! I was able to produce evidence - including the church key which had been supplied to me - to establish the legitimacy of our presence. The police were happy with this and went on their way. We all had a good laugh, then finished the job!

Andrew

Return to Hauptwerk instruments