It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:27 pm

Organ from Notre Dame Church of Lorris (11/I+P) new and free

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

takatsa

Organ from Notre Dame Church of Lorris (11/I+P) new and free

PostFri Mar 05, 2021 9:40 am

I am happy to inform everyone that completed the new Hauptwerk sample set of Organ from Notre Dame of Lorris (France) . The organ has one manual and pedal and 11 stops.

Lorris is located 130 km south of Paris and 60 km from Orleans. A royal city since the 12th century, the kings of France had their residence there: the Château des Salles.
According to research, the organ was built in 1501, although no archival data has survived. The originally Renaissance organ was rebuilt several times in the following century. The organ was majorly repaired in 1681 and detailed documentation has already been prepared. According to this, the organ had a Baroque disposition and a Venetian style. The organ was constantly maintained and functioned well until the end of the 19th century. Then a jealous organist destroyed the organ by piercing the organ tubes. The organ was not repaired, but the pipes were tossed into the attic of the church, but the mechanics of the organ remained relatively intact. After a dream of almost a hundred years, the organ was restored from 1972 to 1974, and the organ once again became the adornment of the church as the oldest organ in France.

My French friends (Dominique and Gérard) found a 2006 recording of this organ on an old winchester. Unfortunately, this was a mono recording in a Hauptwerk incompatible sample. I was asked to make a Hauptwerk version of this sample. I made this. I tried to improve the sample, but you need to know that this sample set falls short of the usual quality of Hauptwerk samples. The original sample is very dry, so I made a slightly echoed version as well, but in Hauptwerk versions 5 and 6 it is recommended to add IR. The sample can also be used with Hauptwerk 4.2 free version.

The sample sets are available in wave format 44.1kHz/16bit, mono, multiple loops (1-8) and multiple releases (2 levels). Equal, a=411 Hz. This is a very dry sample, but I also made a version with a few artificial echoes. Hauptwerk v4.2 and v5 and v6 supported for the Organ Definition Files.
The sample sets made in several forms.
Original, one-channel mono dry version, wet version with small artificial echo and 2-channel (dry and wet) version.
The sample can also be used with Hauptwerk v4.2, but much better sound can be produced in Hauptwerk versions 5-6 by adding IR.
RAM requirements are minimal and can also be used with Hauptwerk v4.2 free version.

Screenshot
Audio demos
More information

The sample is free, free to download and use.

Acknowledgements:
The following friends helped me to make and publish the sample set (in alphabetical order): Dominique Dantand, Gérard Lefranc and Nagy Istvánl. If something's done well, it's thanks to them.

seh52

Re: Organ from Notre Dame Church of Lorris (11/I+P) new and

PostSat Mar 06, 2021 10:51 am

Dear Augustine,

Thanks for sharing your brilliant magic with us, once again!

Cheers,
Stan

takatsa

PostSat Mar 06, 2021 1:00 pm

seh52 wrote:Dear Augustine,
Thanks for sharing your brilliant magic with us, once again!
Cheers, Stan

Thank you Stan. I wish you much pleasure in using the sample.
Augustine

einer_von_weitem

PostSat Mar 06, 2021 5:20 pm

What a fascinating project and story, both regarding the actual organ and the sample set! Which in the audio demos does sound fine to me. This site by the company in charge of restoring the organ has interesting information (key elements of which are also in takatsa's original post) and pictures: http://www.orgues-koenig.com/lorris-en-gatinais/
My Hauptwerk recordings on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJu6YY ... XMA/videos

Return to Hauptwerk instruments