It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:41 pm

Willis Organ from St Mary The Virgin's Church of Downe - new

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

takatsa

Willis Organ from St Mary The Virgin's Church of Downe - new

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 9:58 am

I am happy to inform everyone that completed the new Hauptwerk sample set of Willis Organ from St Mary The Virgin's Church of Downe . The organ has two manual and pedal and 10 stops, a typical little English romantic instrument.

Downe a village in Greater London, England, located within the London Borough of Bromley but beyond the London urban sprawl. The village is notable for the fact that Charles Darwin lived here for 40 years and died here as well.
The Church of the Virgin Mary was built in the 15th century. It was repaired several times in the following centuries, with major expansions taking place in the Victorian era. The church was severely damaged in World War II and its restoration was completed in 1950.

The organ was built by H. Jones in the 19th century, according to "The National Pipe Organ Register." This organ was reconstructed and expanded in 1920 by Henry Willis. Although no written documentation is available, experts say Willis incorporated the following stops into the original organ: swell Stopped Diapason 8', Viola 8' and great Fifteenth 2'. The organ has been repaired several times over the past 100 years, but it preserves Willis ’disposition.

The organ was recorded by Samuel Sleath. He prepared the sound sample and created the amazing graphics of the sample. He is a 16 year old young man, very enthusiastic and talented. He asked me to finish the sample and make the HW ODF. I was happy to help him.

The sample sets are available in wave format 48 kHz/24bit, 2-channels stereo, multiple loops (1-8) and multiple releases (2 levels). Equal, a=424 Hz. The sample is quite dry, following the acoustics of the small church, so it is advisable to use an IR reverb in Hauptwerk 5-6 and an external reverb in Hauptwerk 4.2.
Hauptwerk v4.2 and v5 and v6 supported for the Organ Definition Files.
RAM requirements are minimal and can also be used with Hauptwerk v4.2 free version.

Screenshot
Audio demos
More information

Acknowledgements:
The following friends helped me to make and publish the sample set (in alphabetical order): Gérard Lefranc, Jean-Pierre Silvestre and Nagy István. If something's done well, it's thanks to them.

larason2

Re: Willis Organ from St Mary The Virgin's Church of Downe -

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 10:55 am

A great little instrument, thanks for putting this together!

takatsa

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 11:45 am

larason2 wrote:A great little instrument, thanks for putting this together!

That's right. I haven’t met a real English organ yet, it was a great opportunity to get to know each other. :)

larason2

PostSun Mar 28, 2021 9:55 pm

I purchased and downloaded the set. A very fine organ for the price, and the stops are recorded in plenty of detail. It is a great set if you like the stops and voicing of the era. I feel it is also pretty reminiscent of the tone colour of pump organs from the era too, which is another plus. I prefer dry sets, and I definitely don’t feel it is too dry. I play it quite happily without adding any reverb. A fine small organ with plenty of possibilities.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments