It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:52 am

GRONINGEN MARTINIKERK Channel mixer

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

bourdon

GRONINGEN MARTINIKERK Channel mixer

PostFri May 07, 2021 2:16 pm

I just wondered if people having played the actual instrument could possibly tell which channel mixing on the virtual instrument would be the nearest to hearing the actual "real" organ from the console ?... ( I presume this is perhaps not a pertinent question , or at least not an easy one , because , personally, I would find it very difficult to give a sufficiently precise answer, even perhaps when comparing directly on site...)

mnailor

Re: GRONINGEN MARTINIKERK Channel mixer

PostFri May 07, 2021 4:24 pm

I haven't played it, but with the console built into the case with the organ mostly above and in front of you, but with the Rugwerk behind you and opening away from you through its case wall, you could suppose the Rugwerk might sound diffuse to distant and mostly be heard from your back speakers, while you might hear the other 3 divisions as a mix of direct and diffuse from your front speakers, with a longer rear reverb played softer on your back speakers.

Just speculation...

bourdon

PostFri May 07, 2021 6:42 pm

Well, yes , I also figured something like that. But then , I thought , that -as you say- the organist seems quite "enclosed" under the main pipe -case, so the sound of II and III flies far above him and he gets a greater proportion of the reverberated sound. In that kind of situation , you might hear the positive as "more present" and "nearer" ( depending of the thickness of its back panels !..). ..complicated...so many parameters ! That's why the feedback of someone who has played there, could help a lot.
Anyway, thanks for your return !

adri

PostSun May 09, 2021 10:55 am

I have payed this organ a couple of times, and it truly sounds best downstairs in the church. That's my take on this.

Most organs do not sound optimal at the console's position anyways...

Return to Hauptwerk instruments