It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 am

New Set Recommendations?

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

marcus.reeves

New Set Recommendations?

PostFri May 14, 2021 2:40 pm

I’m fortunate to have come into some money following the sale of a piano, and I’d like to invest the money back into my library of organ samples. I’m unsure whether I should purchase one significant sample set or a couple of slightly less expensive ones. It’s not likely that I will be able to make such an investment again so I’m tempted to go for a more significant purchase. My library already covers most bases in terms of style with an emphasis on English cathedral and German/Dutch baroque:

England - Hereford, Salisbury, Haverhill
France - St Maximin, Metz
German / Polish / Dutch - Großhartmannsdorf, Rotha (St Georgenkirche), Krzeszow, Kampen, Noordbroek, Velesovo

So, what would complement this? Groningen is an option, as is Haarlem, or Görlitz but are these too similar to the collection of baroque instruments I already have? Should I explore something new? None of the American samples really excite me yet (I’d love a decent E. M. Skinner), what about German Romantic? Is Görlitz more romantic than baroque? The budget is c. £900, what do you recommend?

Thank you for your thoughts.
Best wishes,
Marcus

murph

Re: New Set Recommendations?

PostFri May 14, 2021 3:43 pm

Rotterdam is a very good all-rounder and covers a lot of bases your other organs don't. The bundle with the 2 organs would be very attractive...

Something like Armley or Doesberg are again quite different to what you have, and are both wonderful.
The latest Skinner from Evensong is quite nice, the other 2 bundled with it are ok. I'm waiting to try Nancy before committing to it, though.
St Omer is reduced... It's nice, not as useful as Caen, but nice.

Lougheed

PostFri May 14, 2021 5:57 pm

murph wrote: I'm waiting to try Nancy. . .

What is this Nancy you speak of?

murph

PostFri May 14, 2021 6:18 pm

Lougheed

PostFri May 14, 2021 6:28 pm

murph wrote:https://piotrgrabowski.pl/nancy/

Ah, thank you :-)

So many of these organs have complicated, hard to remember and spell names. Nancy really sounds refreshing at least for my merger intellect. :wink:

voet

PostFri May 14, 2021 6:28 pm

I own all three E. M. Skinner sample sets from Evensong and my favorite is the 3 manual instrument in St. Mark's, in Glendale, California. I thought I would like the 4 manual Skinner at Immanuel Presbyterian better, but it does not sound as good, in my opinion. The St. Mark's instrument has nearly all of the E. M. Skinner trademark features and costst $150 USD less.

I also have the large Rotterdam Marcussen and it is the one I play the most.

I don't own Groningen, but it is a really beautiful instrument (and on my wish list.) Sietze de Vries has done a fine demonstration of this instrument that may help you decide. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4zgkOW53_0

Best wishes and be sure to let us know what you decide.

Bill
Last edited by voet on Sat May 15, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mnailor

PostFri May 14, 2021 7:00 pm

I have to agree that SMG is the best of the E. M. Skinners to date. I have Trinity Georgetown, Mt. Carmel, and trialed Immanuel Presbyterian, but St. Mark's Glendale is the only one I like.

Armley Schulze is worth a hearing for a wide variety of music. Portland Rosales if you're okay with short reverb on a big instrument, or with adding some convolution reverb.

Another option is to fill in some more smaller, unique organs for specific styles of music, like Chapalet, Valvasone, Prytanee, Oloron St. Marie, St. Mary-Le-Bow, etc. Also might have a look at small organs by Silver Octopus.

larason2

PostFri May 14, 2021 8:09 pm

You already have Metz, but I would still consider Caen. They are similar instruments, but with some differences, and Caen has a very lovely reverberation. OAM has the lovely Trost, and the new Steinmeyer that are quite nice. Besides Groningen, SP has the Billerbeck, which is quite popular. I second the recommendation of the Armley, there is no other English organ quite like it. You could always use a nice Spanish and Italian set in your library. Don’t forget the PAB organ from inspired acoustics! I think that sample set is quite a monument. The Peterborough Hill is along the lines of what you have already, but is also quite a fine instrument.

Viola da Gamba

PostFri May 14, 2021 11:45 pm

Hello,

if you like postromantik German organ, than Berlin is the right organ for you.

Viola da Gamba

JmG

PostSat May 15, 2021 1:23 am

Hello, my first buy was Billerbeck for almost every thing, my second was Caen: beautiful and very easy to learn, my third was Noordbroek after having heard the live streaming from Aarnoud ( https://youtu.be/TPh2UqGJ694 ), after I tried the Zamardi-Buda compos but I don't like the Jamb view interface... After I bought the Rotterdam bundle and I'm very happy with these !
The last buy is Prytanee for me the equivalent of the class of "Rotterdam" for french repertoire.
It is difficult to choose a sample set: so many are so good, for me it's always a strong feeling for making a decision in accordance with budget !

lefranc22

PostSat May 15, 2021 1:38 am

The Laurentius cathedral of Rotterdam is also a very good french styled romantic organ.
https://www.hauptwerk.nl/laurentiusen.php
As for german romantic, the Buckow-Rieger of Komárom is really very interesting
https://hauptwerk-augustine.info/Buckow-Rieger_Komarom.php

marcus.reeves

PostSat May 15, 2021 1:54 am

Thank you everyone for the amazing suggestions! There is lots to consider here. I’ll take a look at the Glendale Skinner. I guess what always holds me back with the current crop of Skinners is that they tend to be in quite dry acoustics. It’s not that I only like massively wet acoustics (the two Silbermann’s are quite dry for instance) but I do like a nice “bloom’. I’m more of a player than someone who likes to tinker so something which sounds good out of the box is important to me.

I’m fortunate to be very familiar with both Caen and Rotterdam and they are fantastic instruments. I have access to these instruments to play regularly so, for home, I have the opportunity to access something different.

I’m also lucky to be able to make an investment in an instrument which would normally be financially out of my reach. Some of the less expensive sets are more affordable at various times to me, but those priced c. £900 are almost always going to be out of reach.

It seems, I’m really missing that German romantic sound, something suitable to Mendelssohn or Rheinberger, for example. It’s probably boils down to Goerlitz, Billerbeck or OAM’s Steinmeyer.

Something about Goerlitz is pulling me towards it, but what do people think of it? I’m about to do some digging on the forum. The money has come from the sale of a piano, which was my 18th birthday present, a long time ago now, but I want to invest it back Into something equally significant. This is probably why Goerlitz seems so appealing, but I don’t want to overlook organs (e.g. Haarlem or Groningen) if they are too beautiful to miss out on!

Thank you for all your help in this decision.
Best wishes,
Marcus

ArjanK

PostSat May 15, 2021 2:43 am

Hello,
Groningen is my favourite. It's such a characterful and inspiring organ! Perhaps an idea to ask Jiri for a trial license enabling you to try it for 7 days. If you fall in love, you can't stop playing on it.

It's not easy to choose the most delicious candy from the candy store . . . :wink:

Succes!
Arjan

larason2

PostSat May 15, 2021 1:51 pm

For German Romantic, also don’t forget the Furtwangler and Hammer from Königslutter (pipe loops). It’s under your budget, but a very fine instrument. We have been blessed by a very good number of German Romantic instruments of late!

engrssc

PostSat May 15, 2021 4:10 pm

OTOH - a nice (new - 2000) instrument-Opus 349 - and the price is right:

https://piotrgrabowski.pl/friesach/

Rgds,
Ed
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments