It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:51 am

Nancy - new sample set released

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Thomas344

Re: Nancy - new sample set released

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 1:39 am

Thanks! I see it the same way. Either you like it, or you don't. In any case, I will buy it.
Last edited by Thomas344 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thomas344

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 2:14 am

RaymondList wrote:I think there is a language barrier here. I believe that the owners of the organ have permitted the sampling in return for a 'piece of the action', or more formally, a portion of the proceeds. This is very common here and a common way business has always been done. Nothing wrong with this. Buy it if you want to, or don't buy it. Up to you.
Regards,
Ray

Hallo Raymond,
I also think that the price is correct. I had only wished for a little more transparency. But everything is good!
Last edited by Thomas344 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 4:53 am

Hello Thomas344,

Please do remember this is meant to be a polite and friendly forum. Thanks.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

bambergfranken

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 11:52 am

SOUNDING
I bought the set yesterday and am really excited about this wonderful work.
I find the extensions (e.g. Crescendo) good. Especially when you have to play something quickly.
Unfortunately, I have problems the louder the organ becomes. It sounds very dull and dark. I also have this problem with other sets from other manufacturers.
I assume that I am doing something wrong.
Maybe someone will recognize my mistake. Here is a "short description" using Nancy as an example:
I have Mac with 48 GB Ram
Load: Front and Rear only
24 bit simulated dry (2' @ 150 ms)
After loading the following settings:
Settings: Close = 0 /Front = 100 / Middel = 0 / Rear = 100
Volume = 50 / Audio = -15 / Polyphony = 8000 / Reverb = 90%
Where am I missing something? What am I doing wrong? Have I overlooked something? Unfortunately I don't know my way around the depths of Hauptwerk and would need a good understandable solution.
Thank you in advance ;-)

CWEB

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 12:00 pm

Thomas344 wrote:
CWEB wrote:
CWEB wrote:You're way off with this. The vendor is entitled to ask whatever price they wish, and to dispose of the proceeds as they wish. The prospective customer is entitled not to buy if they don't like the deal on offer. Not sure where you do business but that's how it is in most places...

Since you don't understand, I'll be happy to answer your question. For purchases, I am happy to support smaller companies. Transparency is more important than ever in today's society. Therefore, I know many small companies that act very openly. This is becoming more and more popular and will continue to be supported by a growing group of buyers. Especially when it comes to donations, the transparency I mentioned is extremely important. The customer should have the right to know which portion is donated to a good cause. In short, unlike you, I seem to prefer buying from smaller companies. Whether and to what extent the transparency I want is legally enforceable is another question. But that is not the point at all. Especially in such a small community as Hauptwerk, transparency is a question of appreciation towards the customer. Unfortunately, you only see the purely legal side. But now you know who else I do business with. Just take a leaf out of my book. That is certainly good in this day and age :-)

Kindly don't make assumptions (likely incorrect ones) about my attitude to business.

If I understand correctly 'donations' are a red herring here. There is no 'donation', just a business cost to Piotr for permission to make and use recordings of an instrument that doesn't belong to him!

Now I can understand you might be interested to know what portion of the purchase price ends up with the restoration appeal. Possibly if you contacted Piotr privately he might even tell you, I don't know. But asking is different to demanding, and certainly it seems unfair to ask him to deconstruct his business model on a public forum. This isn't Dragon's Den.

Anyway, it sounds a fine sample set. Very CC but I think would be quite versatile for someone looking for a general purpose go-to set.

mdyde

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 12:18 pm

bambergfranken wrote:SOUNDING
Unfortunately, I have problems the louder the organ becomes. It sounds very dull and dark. I also have this problem with other sets from other manufacturers.
I assume that I am doing something wrong.
Maybe someone will recognize my mistake. Here is a "short description" using Nancy as an example:
I have Mac with 48 GB Ram
Where am I missing something? What am I doing wrong? Have I overlooked something? Unfortunately I don't know my way around the depths of Hauptwerk and would need a good understandable solution.
Thank you in advance ;-)

Hello bambergfranken,

If you mean it becomes 'darker' sounding when lots of pipes are playing at once (as opposed to simply when you turn the volume up), then it will probably be as a result of the organ's wind supply model (either intentionally on the part of the sample set developer, due to a pressure drop as more pipes sound, or unintentionally if your computer is struggling to handle that many pipes at once in Hauptwerk's background models, given that the sample set is extremely CPU-intensive).

The quickest way to test would be to try disabling the wind supply model for the organ on the 'Organ settings | Organ preferences | Wind supply model' screen tab.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

bambergfranken

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 12:28 pm

Dear Martin,
Thank you very much! I tried it out immediately. Unfortunately, I do not hear any difference from before. The sound of the organ "clangs" during tutti. Unfortunately, I do not know how to describe it better. But maybe it's really because of my computer. But it shows me that there is enough RAM memory free, even though the organ is loaded.
Thanks anyway!
Roman

puciak

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 12:33 pm

bambergfranken wrote:Dear Martin,
Thank you very much! I tried it out immediately. Unfortunately, I do not hear any difference from before. The sound of the organ "clangs" during tutti. Unfortunately, I do not know how to describe it better. But maybe it's really because of my computer. But it shows me that there is enough RAM memory free, even though the organ is loaded.
Thanks anyway!
Roman

Can you compare sound of your tutti with the sounds from the e.g. video presentation (while maintaining used audio levels)? Or the audio player on my website (however there is no tutti)? Or you simply get the same sound, but you are not happy with it. Can you spot any difference?
Piotr Grabowski - Virtual Pipe Organ Sample Sets
https://piotrgrabowski.pl

bambergfranken

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 12:58 pm

Dear Piotr,
I know it's NOT your set. Because it sounds really wonderful. It's definitely due to some settings. May I send you a recording of me?
Thanks, Roman

OrganoPleno

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 2:13 pm

bambergfranken wrote:I have Mac with 48 GB Ram

Reverb 90% says that you are ADDING reverb to a set which already has so much reverb that you have attempted to truncate the natural reverb by your "simulated dry" settings. This probably takes everything too far away from the original sound concept.

Try this instead: Load Middle only, do NOT truncate the reverb tails, use Middle at 100%, volume 100%, audio -12 to -15, polyphony 8000, and NO added reverb. Perhaps this will give you a more pleasant result, or at least a better starting point. Good luck!

josq

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 2:42 pm

I have tried the demo set, and I must admit that I do experience a quality difference compared to other (demo) sample sets, such as Alexandria and Bussleben. The latter sample sets provide a very realistic listening & playing experience on my setup.

I humbly would like to inquire whether a different strategy was used in the development of this sample set, like a different recording technique, noise filtering, stereo panning and/or equalization.

bambergfranken

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 3:15 pm

OrganoPleno wrote:Reverb 90% says that you are ADDING reverb to a set which already has so much reverb that you have attempted to truncate the natural reverb by your "simulated dry" settings. This probably takes everything too far away from the original sound concept.

Try this instead: Load Middle only, do NOT truncate the reverb tails, use Middle at 100%, volume 100%, audio -12 to -15, polyphony 8000, and NO added reverb. Perhaps this will give you a more pleasant result, or at least a better starting point. Good luck!

Thanks a lot :-)
The difference is now really enormous.
I had a Hauptwerk training a year ago. There I was told to use only the additional reverb, because I would save a lot of memory. I would never have thought that it was because of that. Thank you so much for your professional help.
A blog "Hauptwerk für Dummies" (in Germany there is actually a whole series of books with this title) might be a good idea. The Hauptwerk manual overwhelms me. I am technically very clumsy and unfortunately often do not understand the connections.
Once again: many thanks ;-)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

OrganoPleno

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 5:08 pm

bambergfranken wrote:Thanks a lot :-)
The difference is now really enormous.

Glad to hear that it helped! Have fun!

münsterorganist

PostWed Jun 02, 2021 1:39 am

Dear bambergfranken,
there are a very good translation, called eOrganum 6.02, from Dieter Thomsen. Its not only the translation for German Speakers, rather a explanation for connections. Please Google vor it. Best regards.

puciak

PostWed Jun 02, 2021 5:32 am

josq wrote:I have tried the demo set, and I must admit that I do experience a quality difference compared to other (demo) sample sets, such as Alexandria and Bussleben. The latter sample sets provide a very realistic listening & playing experience on my setup.

I humbly would like to inquire whether a different strategy was used in the development of this sample set, like a different recording technique, noise filtering, stereo panning and/or equalization.

So the quality is worse or better now? I don't know how to interpret it.
The techniques hasn't changed. The conditions are just different like mainly acoustics, but also the blower noise, exterior noises etc. Fortunately there is the demo version, video presentation and audio player, so you can evaluate if you're happy with the sound or not.
Piotr Grabowski - Virtual Pipe Organ Sample Sets
https://piotrgrabowski.pl
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments