It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:48 am

Nancy - new sample set released

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

mnailor

Re: Nancy - new sample set released

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 9:21 pm

Very true. I just prefer to avoid 16 bit because I can hear the noise in some circumstances, and 20 bit saves very little memory (less than 1.5 GB out of 60) even though I can't hear the difference between 20 and 24 bit.

Loading 3 perspectives at 20 bit (minus noise ranks) left me less than the recommended 2 GB of free memory, so I wouldn't want to run that way and break at the next update.

It also loads faster and sounds great to me with 2 perspectives, now that I found the ones that work for me. I ended up with master levels at 100 Front and 100 Middle.

Thanks.

mnailor

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 10:37 am

In addition to Front and Middle at 24 bit, all samples (each about 22 GB), including Close at 24 bits, all samples with releases truncated to 120 ms only adds about 9 GB.

Rear even at 16 bit adds 12 - 13 GB, and at 24 bit adds 22 GB.

So Close truncated + Front + either Middle or Rear fits easily in 64GB at 24 bits, all samples.

Sample_02

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 9:44 am

After reading the messages about the Nancy sampleset I have the impression that most of the people use the Nancy sample set in combination with HW 5 or higher.
Do the settings which are published in some of these messages also apply when the full Nancy sample set is installed on a HW 4.2 organ?

Thank you for your help.

mnailor

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 11:24 am

Sample_02 wrote:After reading the messages about the Nancy sampleset I have the impression that most of the people use the Nancy sample set in combination with HW 5 or higher.
Do the settings which are published in some of these messages also apply when the full Nancy sample set is installed on a HW 4.2 organ?

Thank you for your help.

Can you give examples of the settings you're interested in? There isn't one answer.

Sample_02

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 2:54 am

Suppose I have selected some adjustments on the setting tab of the (demo version of) Nancy sample set which is loaded in my HW 4.2, does the sound differ when this sample set is loaded in HW5 or higher with these settings?
Due to circumstances I have to play with a headphone. So I expect that adjustments (found e.g. on page 4 of 5 in this topic) are different w.r.t. the use of a speaker system.
So I am especially interested in a combination of settings on the setting tab of the (demo version of) Nancy sample set (as well as possible relevant settings in HW4.2 eventually).

mnailor

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 9:20 am

Regardless of organ settings, the sound will differ between HW4.2 and HW6.02 (you can't buy HW5 now), because of improvements in the audio engine. HW6 just sounds better.

I use the exact same settings on multichannel 20.1 speakers and on headphones, with the headphone mixdown done in my audio interface rather than in HW. I could see where you might prefer a different mix of microphone positions for headphones, but your ears have to be involved in the decision, so others' advice isn't very useful.

My earlier posts about settings were mostly about my trying to squeeze Nancy into a 64 GB computer without losing the wonderful acoustics or sample quality. The right perspective mix is very personal and can only be determined by listening and trying things, so don't take anybody's settings too seriously. :D
Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments