It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:27 am

Metz VS Grand Symphonic VS Artistide VS Nancy

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

OrganoPleno

Re: Metz VS Grand Symphonic VS Artistide VS Nancy

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 12:18 am

kasterling wrote:By the way, anyone who has not yet listened to Fraser Gartshore's performance of Piece Heroique on the Nancy set should certainly consider doing so. It really displays what this organ can do.

Thanks for the Link! Great playing, and great sound.

jean.lemoine

Re: Metz VS Grand Symphonic VS Artistide VS Nancy

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 3:30 am

I must admit I'm in love with ACC's instruments and I play with delight Metz' Notre Dame (even if it's a Mutin and not the most modern sample set around), own but not play much Metz' Saint Eucaire (also a Mutin and sooooo charming in chamber music) and I absolutely fell in love with Oloron Sainte Marie (rather small, atypical but pure genius ACC). I'm re-discovering Caen thanks to Andy's detuning tool and Saint Omer will probably have its renewed interest someday. I even own the toy-like La Madeleine sample set!

So to say I did seriously consider buying the much buzzed Nancy.

First, I was shocked to hear how much it's not really a CC anymore. Hermann was there and boy you can hear this neoclassical destruction. I hoped it would be more of an evolution like Notre-Dame. I was not impressed with the way it sounded overall in Richard McVeigh's demonstration either. I actually don't hear the resemblance between Johann Vexo's live recordings and the sample set rendition. I did not have this neoclassical feeling in Vexo's videos and was actually glad that there was still a true French classic feel and a true CC récit. Now the sample set really sounds neoclassic.
Then, its price. I would have indulged it anyway if it was under 600 euros, but more than 800 ?... And the attitude of the association in charge of the organ finished putting me off. Add to this that one really needs a really powerful PC to run it and my 2 y/o one seems already like a dinosaur...

Maybe I'll buy it in the future, but now I'll most likely concentrate on the ones I already own.

At least it made me aware of this instrument and made me looking forward to its upcoming restoration: I hope it will be reverted to its classic + CC glory, with just a few well adjusted additions.
Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments