It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 am

Large sample sets and high memory requirements

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

münsterorganist

Large sample sets and high memory requirements

PostTue Aug 24, 2021 6:35 am

The large set "Nancy" shows, that the border area between costs and benefits has meanwhile been reached. A tutorial by Richard Mc Veigh, where he transformed the Dudelange Stereo set into a surround set with Cubase gave me the idea.The same can be done with the new mixer in HW: you cover all 4 perspektives with the stereo sound. P.1 one leaves, 2 to 4. given different reverbs and adjust the volume. If you still had the original IR in different positions, this would be better.I tried this with the old stereo set "Trost", It is doing well. A small stereo enhancer and a little equalizer would be desirable in the "Organ area" to adjust the frequencies in the low und high areas, like as R.McV does.
Sample Sets would not be so expensive and time consuming, PC's too. Would the sound be significantly worse?

münsterorganist

Re: Large sample sets and high memory requirements

PostTue Aug 24, 2021 6:45 am

Sorry, still has to be added: you can roughly achieve that with the new mixer.
And at last:would the sound be significantly worse?

josq

PostTue Aug 24, 2021 6:47 am

Yes IR reverb is the future direction.

Note that any IR reverb is a frequency filter, that will distort the balance of frequencies. To avoid this, you best use an IR from the original room. But they are not always available, so you'll need to do quite some equalization if you want to virtually transport an organ to another room using IR reverb.

larason2

PostTue Aug 24, 2021 8:09 am

Everyone has their opinion on the matter, and my opinion is that IR added to a recording is inferior to a recorded perspective. I think IR could work if the pipes were sampled perfectly dry, say in an anechoic chamber. But I feel that even in “dry” sets, the IR mixes with the small amount of built in reverb and doesn’t sound right.

münsterorganist

PostWed Aug 25, 2021 8:23 am

thanks for discussion.Yes, the original reverb would make sense and better, I wrote too. Also, that an editing option in the organ area would be nice to compensate for the slight sound shifts. But please, listen to Richards tutorial about stereo to surround. It's phantastic. It could be implemented on many PC's, reducing costs for samples and hardware. It may be doubted, whether many hear a difference at all.My suggestion was: leave pespektive 1 with the original stereo room reverb. Give a little more in P2 ....,ideally with the original reverb. Development work could than be put into an excellent stereo sample, that sounds like a CD recording, for example, especially in the Tutti settings. Please, this is only a suggestion for possible improvment. Anything, that advances HW is good. I love the software.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments