It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:07 pm

5 Manual 73 Stop “Basilica Organ”???

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

B777Captain

5 Manual 73 Stop “Basilica Organ”???

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 3:08 pm

Saw this from Paul Fey’s youtube and had not heard of this sample but it sure sounds good.

Did I Miss this somehow???

https://youtu.be/qrmLkdke1wI
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

larason2

Re: 5 Manual 73 Stop “Basilica Organ”???

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 4:46 pm

Interesting. I wonder what samples were used to make it? I’m surprised it only uses 1.5 GB of RAM. Likely very short loops or recorded at a relatively low sample rate.

ReinerS

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 5:08 pm

Well, this must be at least a few years old, as Eric Dalest, who apparently made this organ using a CODM design software (for HW4.2) called Basilica, sadly passed away in 2016.
Looking around a bit on the link given in the video and simply downloading it one can find out a few things about it. The Basilica software can be used to create custom organs for Hauptwerk 4.x based on a set of samples contained within the package. These are sampled with 44.1k 16bit, they are quite short (around 2 seconds, reverb is cut after about 1.5 seconds), and there are only 2 samples/octave. All this explains the low memory usage.

The set and apparently also the software is still available, so you can simply download it and try it out.

Best regards
Reiner

vpo-organist

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 6:28 pm

I also saw the Paul Fey video today and was hoping it was dry samples but there has a little reverb.

seh52

PostSat Nov 20, 2021 1:01 pm

I have had this sample set for many years.
The set is a library of stops that can be used to create whatever size of organ desired...and as many organs as you'd like.
Paul makes the organ sound good with his artistry and reverb! It can sound even better with detuning and voicing using the standard Hauptwerk controls.
I used this set to build a virtual organ that matches the stops on my 3 manual digital organ console.
This sample set offers lots of fun for creative virtual organ construction, tuning, voicing and playing.
Thanks to Paul Fey for demonstrating so many of its sounds!

Return to Hauptwerk instruments