It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 am

St. Maximin v 2.21 Surround Extended

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

mnailor

St. Maximin v 2.21 Surround Extended

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 1:37 pm

I upgraded my installation of St. Maximin to v 2.21 recently. I used Surround Extended before and after the upgrade.

As SP's email mentioned had been reported in some cases (I may be misquoting badly since I don't have a copy), my combinations (on master generals, stepper frames, and scoped pistons) were empty after the upgrade. Should be no problem to set them again.

But any time I press a master general or trigger a stepper frame, audio stops (not MIDI) until I restart the engine. I reset everything through the organ setup wizard, but it still happens. I've tested other organs and this isn't happening except for this one.

I switched to using Surround Original and it works fine -- and the upgrade sounds wonderful. So I can consider the problem solved, but I'm curious whether anyone else has it.

Anybody know an explanation and/or workaround for the Extended organ behaving this way?

Thank you.

mdyde

Re: St. Maximin v 2.21 Surround Extended

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 3:27 pm

Hello Mark,

I don't have experience with that sample set myself, but you could perhaps try temporarily turning on MIDI logging (advanced general preference) to see whether it logs any unexpected virtual controls being triggered (e.g. indirectly via MIDI) as you trigger those combinations.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mnailor

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 5:09 pm

Thank you, I'll try that.

mnailor

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 6:25 pm

Turns out that it's unrelated to MIDI. With all MIDI mappings for the organ having been reset in the organ wizard, audio stops when I push a general or stepper trigger button on the registration large control panel and test with the on-screen keyboards and stop knobs.

Also, engine reset audio/MIDI restores sound, not just restart.

mdyde

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 4:46 am

Thanks, Mark.

mnailor wrote:Also, engine reset audio/MIDI restores sound, not just restart.

To confirm -- do you mean that, once the problem has occurred, selecting 'Engine | Reset organ/MIDI' from the main menu resolves it (until the next master general/stepper press)?

If so, am I also right in thinking that all of the items at the top level of the 'Engine' menu are still enabled (not greyed out), and that on the 'Engine | Advanced use' sub-menu the 'Stop audio/MIDI' item is *not* greyed out, whereas the 'Start audio/MIDI' item *is* greyed out?

If so, that almost certainly means that Hauptwerk's audio engine is still actually running (and is still streaming audio to the audio driver/interface), so the problem is that some virtual switch within the sample set is getting turned off (e.g. its blower) by the general-scope master combinations/frames (e.g. perhaps the template frame for master generals in the sample set's organ definition accidentally includes a virtual switch that effectively disconnects the pipework, such as the blower).

When the problem has occurred, if you click on virtual stop switches and keys do you still hear any action noises sound effects that the sample set would normally produce (e.g. stop action sound effects)? You might need to turn Hauptwerk's overall amplitude up to hear them clearly.

If the sample set has a virtual blower switch, does switching it back on make everything work properly again?
Best regards, Martin.

mnailor

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 11:31 am

mdyde wrote:Thanks, Mark.

mnailor wrote:Also, engine reset audio/MIDI restores sound, not just restart.

To confirm -- do you mean that, once the problem has occurred, selecting 'Engine | Reset organ/MIDI' from the main menu resolves it (until the next master general/stepper press)?

If so, am I also right in thinking that all of the items at the top level of the 'Engine' menu are still enabled (not greyed out), and that on the 'Engine | Advanced use' sub-menu the 'Stop audio/MIDI' item is *not* greyed out, whereas the 'Start audio/MIDI' item *is* greyed out?

If so, that almost certainly means that Hauptwerk's audio engine is still actually running (and is still streaming audio to the audio driver/interface), so the problem is that some virtual switch within the sample set is getting turned off (e.g. its blower) by the general-scope master combinations/frames (e.g. perhaps the template frame for master generals in the sample set's organ definition accidentally includes a virtual switch that effectively disconnects the pipework, such as the blower).

When the problem has occurred, if you click on virtual stop switches and keys do you still hear any action noises sound effects that the sample set would normally produce (e.g. stop action sound effects)? You might need to turn Hauptwerk's overall amplitude up to hear them clearly.

If the sample set has a virtual blower switch, does switching it back on make everything work properly again?

In order by paragraph:

1. Yes, confirmed.

2. Yes, exactly.

3. This seems to explain it.

4. Coupler noises still sound -- hadn't tried that.

5. The blower switch stays on, but it turned out there are ventils for each division that are turned off by master generals, stepper frames, and scoped pistons that I inadvertently included the ventils in (they look like mere labels I II III IV PED).

You nailed it. Thanks!

mdyde

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 11:33 am

Thanks, Mark. Excellent. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

mnailor

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 3:54 pm

All restored in the Extended organ. Just have to keep the 5 ventils on when setting generals and stepper frames, and off when setting scopes. And don't trigger an unset general or frame!

mnailor

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 2:23 pm

Just an update. ODF 2.23 (still samples version 2.21) keeps the ventils on.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments