It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:35 am

Help me choose a baroque sampleset, please!

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

JulianMoney-Kyrle

Re: Help me choose a baroque sampleset, please!

PostSat Jan 08, 2022 3:46 am

Adri,

I agree with you about the quality of Prof. Meier's samples, which are consistently among the best.

I have generally found that the sample sets that I return to over and over again are the ones which give the most convincing experience of playing an organ. Very often these aren't the largest instruments or the most famous. For this reason I think many sample sets available for HW are overpriced as they seem to be priced per stop rather than according to the overall quality of the product.

triapavl

Re: Help me choose a baroque sampleset, please!

PostWed Jan 12, 2022 7:05 am

An update:

I have opted in favour of the Krzeszow sampleset after all. As I said, the Waltershausen was a very close 2nd (NB despite its status as a relatively old HW sampleset, it has aged really well), but the financial factor played a big role -- I'm still on HW version 4!
With that said, I must confess that I am very happy with the Krzeszow set for Hauptwerk. The sampling quality is exquisite; the organ can easily lead in full surround on a 16GB RAM (with front ranks at 20-bit and rear at 16-bit); all the multitude of individual foundation stops, as well as combinations, is a dream come true; and the chorus and/or semi-chorus combinations are also of top-notch quality, apt for a very pleasant reading of a multitude of works (not only Baroque).

Here is a recording I made, if you are interested: https://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/50304 (Noel Suisse by d'Aquin).

In short, I wholeheartedly approve of and recommend the Krzeszow sampleset.
Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments