It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:59 am

Peterborough Cathedral

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Clarabella8

Peterborough Cathedral

PostMon Dec 20, 2021 1:01 pm

Does anyone know if the updated (post restoration) version of the Peterborough Cathedral sampleset is going to be released?

There hasn't been an update on the progress blog of the Audio Angelorum website for nearly 18 months. I have been waiting before purchasing as I would prefer the restored version of the organ if possible.

Many thanks,

Clarabella

larason2

Re: Peterborough Cathedral

PostMon Dec 20, 2021 3:28 pm

The current set is a sort of blend between the new recording and the old one, for instance, the Tuba Mirabilis is from after the rebuild. Not sure when the new version will be available, but you could try emailing them.

TubaFan

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 9:01 pm

I was originally going to wait to purchase Peterborough as well until the new set came out, and finally just ended up getting it. I had emailed them periodically asking about the update and have done so a couple times since purchasing the set. They do plan on releasing it, but there is no estimated date as of yet.

From what I was told, the updated set will be free to people who already own the current set, so don't let that hold you back from purchasing it.

Clarabella8

PostWed Dec 22, 2021 6:11 pm

Many thanks. I will see if I can make contact.

If a free upgrade to the restored version is going to be available I may well spend the pocket money I have earned covering for Covid-struck colleagues this Christmas on the current version...!

Clarabella

ostrovitch

PostThu Dec 23, 2021 7:31 am

Clarabella8 wrote:Does anyone know if the updated (post restoration) version of the Peterborough Cathedral sampleset is going to be released?

There hasn't been an update on the progress blog of the Audio Angelorum website for nearly 18 months. I have been waiting before purchasing as I would prefer the restored version of the organ if possible.

Many thanks,

Clarabella

I'm still waiting for the version 2 of Matyas organ (restored) sampleset, promised 4 years before.
So I think your wait could be very long.

TubaFan

PostTue Jan 04, 2022 8:25 pm

This was posted to the blog on their website on Dec 28:

"I have finally had some time to finish off the final version of the Re-pitched Peterborough Instrument! It's a faithful reproduction of Peterborough Cathedral organ as it is today, at concert pitch, with some additional ranks (a new 16ft Open Diapason wood pedal (extension), and some additional choir mutations), and lovingly re-voiced by Harrison and Harrison to sound even more splendid than before. The Hauptwerk instrument includes a number of new ranks and some resampling of the original ranks where required to reflect the current voicing. There are also some bug fixes and improvements to the original instrument, and either instrument (current or original pitch) can be loaded and voiced separately following the update. The updated ODF's will be available shortly (as a free update to all existing owners of the Peterborough set), and I will email details of the links in the coming days. Many thanks for your saintly patience for this long awaited update, and I will post again here once the updated links are available!"

TubaFan

PostThu Jan 06, 2022 2:08 pm

Updated today:

"The long awaited Peterborough Cathedral concert pitch instrument update is complete, and the latest downloads include an additional organ definition to play it. The organ was re-pitched by Harrison and Harrison in 2015/16, and as well as being at concert pitch, this also included some tonal changes (addition of a 16' pedal extension to the 32' Open Diapason, a new Hill style Tuba Mirabilis, and addition of a Nazard and Sesquialtera on the choir). Additionally a few of the other reeds were improved during voicing in order to enhance their tone and consistency, and the project was widely regarded as a resounding success, with the current instrument sounding more splendid than ever. This latest Hauptwerk set update recreates the current state of the organ, using a combination of existing samples and new samples (a considerable number of ranks were completely resampled, and the sound of each pipe checked against the original pre-repitched recordings, in order to determine where new samples should be used to capture the current character of the instrument). Particularly, the entirely re-sampled Tuba and Tuba Mirabilis are sounding better than ever with the benefit of up to 7 different lengths of release sample to provide the ultimate in realism. The update also includes some fixes and improvements to the original sets. I will be contacting owners of the current Peterborough sets in the next few days to provide links to the update installation package, which is free to existing users.

In addition, There is a dry set which is under development and due to be released in the coming months. This version covers both the original "pre-repitch" version and the current concert pitch specification, and being recorded right up next to the pipes (with virtually no building acoustic), it is primarily intended for use in ambient spaces (churches or cathedrals), although there will be some original Peterborough Cathedral impulse responses included for use in dryer settings. I will post more information on this presently. In the meantime, may I wish you all a happy new year!"

Return to Hauptwerk instruments