It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 am

GRONINGEN MIXTURES

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

bourdon

GRONINGEN MIXTURES

PostSat Jan 08, 2022 5:51 am

Has any one tried to modify adjustements of the rank voicing in order to adjust the blending of the Groningen mixtures with the foundation stops ?

I have tried the following solutions, none of which fully satisfies me :
-> fading a bit the amplitude ( -2) and also the overall brightness ( -2.5, or - 3.5 , or even -5).
-> input some Hauptwerk reverb ( 30% of the "Church 04" ) . ( and I don't use the direct channel).
-> slight use of the detuning ( and mixture tuning) devices ( 20%).

Apart from using only distant channels and loosing more direct signals, I don't feel as for myself, that any of these adjustments achieve the purpose.

So, I would be grateful for any hints !

josq

Re: GRONINGEN MIXTURES

PostSat Jan 08, 2022 6:15 am

I think the Groningen sample set has a bad wind model, to me that seems the main reason why the mixtures don't sound great.
Experimenting with the wind model now (at the ODF level) but that's a lot of complicated owrk.

bourdon

PostSun Jan 09, 2022 5:58 pm

Thanks, JOSQ, for your answer.
I've tried disconnecting the wind model for this organ, but that didn't change anything.
As for modifying the wind model itself in the ODF, that's beyond my skills ! ( assuming it is possible at all to do, if the ODF is encrypted).
Anyway ,thank you very much !

josq

PostMon Jan 10, 2022 6:48 pm

Yes, it needs a very lively wind model, as you'll hear in recordings of the real organ

larason2

PostFri May 27, 2022 12:25 am

It’s too bad you’re not able to load the new version. Previous models of Groningen, Jiri only made available his “tuned” mixtures, which based on a couple of examples I’ve heard, sound unnatural. With the update, he has made available again the original mixtures, which I think would be a big improvement. If the update requires HW7, I would think that would be a reason to upgrade!

Return to Hauptwerk instruments