It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:36 am

Les' Friesach-Cracow Composite Organ

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

mdyde

Re: Les' Friesach-Cracow Composite Organ

PostTue May 17, 2022 12:11 pm

Hello Jim,

Perhaps there's a problem with your audio routing settings. Do you use multi-channel audio output (i.e. more than just a single stereo pair of speakers/headphones)? Which version of Hauptwerk are you using (which can be checked via "Help | About Hauptwerk")? If v5+, did you migrate the installation from v4 and keep (migrate) your v4 audio routing settings when you first used v5+?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

larason2

PostTue May 17, 2022 12:22 pm

It may also be that it’s causing your audio driver to crash. Try loading it with less demanding settings. This has become a common problem recently, especially on macs.

mdyde

PostTue May 17, 2022 2:32 pm

Yes -- recent versions of macOS misbehave if they don't have enough free memory for themselves, resulting in no audio output, so if using a Mac do make sure that you have plenty of free RAM (e.g. try loading all of the sample set's ranks in mono as a test, which roughly halves memory requirements).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ldeutsch

PostTue May 17, 2022 3:36 pm

Martin,

Thanks for answering this question - I only just saw it now. I believe your diagnosis is probably correct.

Jim, when you load the organ, watch the "RAM used" indicator in HW. It should be pretty obvious is it is overloading your RAM. If so, loading in mono is a good test, as is loading in a lower bit resolution. As I recall, each of the two Grabowski organs alone takes close to 16 G in a MAC when loading in 24-bit stereo.

I currently have 64 G of RAM, which is more than enough.

Les

James Cowgill

PostTue May 17, 2022 4:24 pm

Thank you all for your prompt replies. Yep, I think its the memory on my Mac. I only have 16 GB. Cheers, Jim

larason2

PostTue May 17, 2022 5:14 pm

Hello Les, thanks for your help! While I have your attention, there was a post on the organ forum about two users who are excited about your composite, but having trouble accessing your website. I’m having trouble too, I keep getting 404 errors! We’ve been accessing the one on Archive.org. Do you know what could be going on? Thanks!

ldeutsch

PostWed May 18, 2022 3:29 pm

Sorry. I have no idea what "archive.org" is. However, there appears to be a problem right now with my site. I am hosted on GoDaddy and their server appears to be down right now. I will check back in a while.

Les

ldeutsch

PostWed May 18, 2022 6:22 pm

My web site is back up! I worked with GoDaddy and they found it had been infected with malware. I also now recall what "archive.org" is - it is the Internet Archive. I indeed use this site to do searches from time to time and, more important, search back through time for old versions of web sites.

In any case, please visit my web site again at

http://www.nightbloomingjazzmen.com/Les_Home.html

and thank you for letting know there was a problem with it.

Les

larason2

PostWed May 18, 2022 8:00 pm

Awesome, thanks!

larason2

PostSat May 21, 2022 11:42 am

Hi Les, I spent some time playing this organ today, and I was very impressed!

Honestly I don't play Cracow or Friesach much because I feel they are a bit pedestrian, that is, lacking in interest. For a long time I felt this was because of the divisional composition and how they were voiced, and it seems to be that I was right! In your hands, you've totally transformed these two instruments, and the result sounds very good.

Some highlights for me are the two mixtures on the positive. I never liked Cracow's harmonia aethera because I felt it was too uneven, but combined with the cornet and the other stops on the positive, it really sparkles! Another highlight is all the celestes. You seem to have chosen the most interesting stops on each parent instrument for them, and it really works. Particularly if you combine the flute and string celestes together, then add the 4' and 16' couplers, you get a gorgeous, interesting and lush string chorus sound that few other sample sets have. The voicing is very balanced, so that you can pretty much play anything on it, and there are tons of options for each particular voice you would like to try. Having the chimes and zimbelstern is also great. The acoustics of Friesach and Cracow sound very similar with your voicing, so the combination really works. There are now many more options to combine stops in an interesting way, and a way that makes sense for more repertoire.

Actually the organ that it most makes me think of is the PAB. I think it has that very transparent, flexible, and carefully balanced sound of a concert organ, coupled with a lot of different options for stops, which makes it very useful for a lot of repertoire. To think that you can get almost all of the tone colours of the PAB in a package that is totally free and requires much less memory is astounding. Thanks for this!

ldeutsch

PostSat May 21, 2022 2:14 pm

Thanks for all your kind words.

I purchased the PAB myself during the sale that IA had a couple months ago. I got one of the last editions on physical media. My intent was to modify the PAB samples to fit my console and make things closer to my tastes. However, Csaba is smarter than most sample set producers. He found a way to defeat my reprogramming! I have done lots of revoicing though...

I have been okaying the PAB preparing to Caltech commencement in early June, I play a 45-minute concert before it starts and then continue with brass, percussion, and choir - all music I have arranged. I am quite lucky because I get an audience of about 2,000 people each year too! I really like the PAB - even though my console is even bigger tat that.

Les
Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments