It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:29 pm

Les' Friesach-Cracow Composite Organ

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

ldeutsch

Re: Les' Friesach-Cracow Composite Organ

PostFri Feb 11, 2022 7:21 pm

Thank you. I came to a similar conclusion earlier today based on feedback from various users. Here is the situation:

Since I am Mac-based, I cannot run the GUI version of WinRar. Instead, I use the command line (unix) version of the software from the same writers - called "rar". Since I am also an experienced unix person, this is not a problem. However, I can only get the current version of rar - v6.1. I created my files with 6.02, so it was worth a try upgrading to 6.1 - but it was fruitless.

The archives are readable in HW7 (and I assume 6 and 5) but not in 4.2,

I believe V4.2 uses "unrar" - the decompressing software that goes with "rar" because a 2015 copy of "unrar" is located in the InternalResources folder in the HW 4.2 installation.

If anyone knows of a way I can get a unix "rar" v4, please let me know - or send one to me, since it is in public domain. I will also try writing to the WinRar folks to see if they can send me one.

Also, though I maintain a development system running HW4.2 in evaluation mode (which my daughter used to call "bell organ) it no longer can import these archive files. It will not even import ones that I know work from other vendors. This is not a problem for sample set development work because I can decompress these files myself and copy the samples to the correct folders. However, I cannot use my system to actually test readability of new "rar" files! I believe I lost this capability when I upgraded the Mac OS and needed to move the HW sample sets and user data off of the top level of the disk. I believe I did everything correctly, but when I try to import an organ from a "rar" file, it crashes HW. Perhaps someone reading this has had a similar experience and solved this problem.

But there is some good news - I have added portrait displays and fixed a few extra notes so when I solve the "rar" problem, I will post an updated version of the organ.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped.

Les

evertjan

PostSat Feb 12, 2022 5:32 am

Les

You have to use the switch -ma4 for creating a RAR4 formatted file and -ma5 (or nothing because it's default) for RAR5 formatted files

RAR <command> [ -<switches> ] <archive> [ <files…> ]

In your case
rar a -ma4 <archive> [ <files…> ]

It only works for creating a new RAR file. If you update an existing file, then the RAR format of that file is unchanged. In your case it is still a RAR5 format installation package. So, remove the old RAR file before crating a new one.

HW4 reads the RAR4 formatted file if you still have the original, with HW4 delivered, unrar.exe in HW4

larason2

PostSat Feb 12, 2022 9:21 am

Thanks Les and Evertjan,

That actually helps resolve a problem I’ve had for quite some time trying to port CODM back to HW4, and what an easy solution! Much obliged!

ldeutsch

PostSat Feb 12, 2022 12:47 pm

Evertjan,

Yes, I tried the -m4 switch yesterday in an attempt force the older version of rar, but the result still did not load in HW v4.2. However, since you have made it work, perhaps I made a simple mistake somewhere - so I will try it again.

Hopefully this time...

Les

ldeutsch

PostSun Feb 13, 2022 12:45 pm

Everyone,

All is well this morning! I have finally solved the problem with the Friesach-Cracow Composite Organ loading into Hauptwerk v4.2 - thanks to Stan Harris who graciously served as the tester for this system. Also, thank you to all who helped me diagnose the problem and especially to those of you with insight into Winrar (or, more specifically, rar.)

I updated my web site with a download file that has been successfully tested in HW v4.2 and all the more-recent supported versions. I am running it on my own system in v7.

I also took advantage of the opportunity to add portrait side jamb screens, correct a minor issue with the number of divisional pistons to match my console, and even improved a few pipe voicings.

Please visit my web site

http://www.nightbloomingjazzmen.com/Les_Friesach-Cracov_Organ.html

Be sure to refresh the site and then download the new v3 installation file.

Les

seh52

PostMon Feb 14, 2022 12:56 pm

This composite organ combines early 21st century German and Polish organ builders' French romantic tonal aspirations into a large virtual instrument.

Les' added work in voicing and tuning enhances realism!

Thanks for another creative and generous gift that is so widely accessible, Les!

ldeutsch

PostTue Feb 15, 2022 10:07 pm

I have added some demo recordings to my web site. Please revisit

http://www.nightbloomingjazzmen.com/Les_Friesach-Cracov_Organ.html

once more and scroll to the bottom to find them.

Les

RaymondList

PostWed Feb 16, 2022 3:34 pm

Les,

Please accept another 'thank you' from someone you have made very happy. Also, thanks to Piotr Grabowsky for giving you the ability to create this beautiful instrument. Due to its size, it is going to take a lot of playing by me to fully enjoy all these beautiful sounds!

Regards,
Ray

RaymondList

PostWed Feb 23, 2022 2:30 pm

I just have to add, the full read chorus growling away is just the most wonderful sound! Thanks again Les!!!

Regards,
Ray
Ray

nrorganist

PostThu Feb 24, 2022 11:34 pm

Les,

Are the Chimes on the Great intended to be audible mostly or possibly only through the Left channel?

My headphones and monitors only sound through the Left, and my audio interface output LEDs only light on the Left channel.
I didn't notice separate Chimes (L) and Chimes (R) ranks in the Load options ranks list and the Rank Voicing didn't appear to have a volume difference between channels.

But given how extensively configurable Hauptwerk is now (am on HW 7), I easily could have missed a setting to resolve this myself.

Kind of shows that your composite set is being more and more thoroughly. :D

Mark

ldeutsch

PostFri Feb 25, 2022 1:07 pm

Mark,

You are entirely correct about the Chimes - and I had not noticed it until you pointed it out to me!

The Chime sample I use is monophonic. I will log this as a change to make for the next version of this sample set. It is only one percussive sample and I can easily modify it in any editor. In the meantime, everyone should treat this as if the chimes are mounted on the left wall of your room!

Les

VulcanStarlight

PostThu Mar 10, 2022 2:30 pm

You are amazing, Les! I can barely contain myself. Getting this tonight! :mrgreen:

RickC

PostMon Mar 14, 2022 12:35 pm

Thank you, Les, for this wonderful instrument.
And thanks also to Piotr Grabowsky for the originals, which I've enjoyed very much.
And those reeds!!
But... I've tried to download the CODM, but it greets me with 404, file not found. I understand very well that using that will not result in the same sounding instrument, but I've learned so much in the past from your files that I'd really like to see this one. The book is great, and the on-line system even better, but in fact seeing examples has been the best instruction ever.
Your work on composites and extensions has been a great gift to our community. Thank you.
Rick

ldeutsch

PostMon Mar 14, 2022 4:04 pm

Rick,

Sorry, it is fixed now. I need to change the extension of these files to something like ".txt" in my web site editor so that they download correctly in all browsers. I had forgotten to do it this time...

In any case, try again now. I even added the reminder to strip off the new extension before using this in Hauptwerk.

Les

James Cowgill

PostTue May 17, 2022 11:41 am

Hello, This sample set loads fine and appears to be working except there is no audio. This is the only sample set I can load that does not have audio. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim Cowgill
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments