It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 am

Nijkerk Tuning

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

JulianMoney-Kyrle

Nijkerk Tuning

PostWed Apr 20, 2022 6:25 pm

I have just installed the Nijkerk organ from Voxus, and when I come to load it I am given the choice of "Nijkerk Surround Original" and "Nijkerk Surround Tuned". Can anybody tell me what the difference is? Is it something to do with Hauptwerk's random pipe detuning affecting the front and rear channels differently or something else entirely?

larason2

Re: Nijkerk Tuning

PostWed Apr 20, 2022 9:29 pm

I’m not aware of the difference, but I’m curious what you think of the Nijkerk? That’s an organ I’ve had my eye on for a while. From what I’ve heard, the flutes sound lovely, and it’s got a very nice disposition for baroque works.

adri

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 2:51 am

I think it simply means that you have a choice between the organ "as is" (more or less, I guess) and a perfectly finely tuned equal temperament, which to my ears sounds too perfect.

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 5:15 am

Since Hauptwerk already allows you to do this by selecting equal temperament, I thought it would be something else. It seems very inefficient in terms of disk space, time and trouble to load and set up two different versions of an organ if you can achieve the same thing with a simple mouse click.

I know you are very knowledgeable about Dutch organs and familiar with many historic instruments from playing them yourself. Do you know what temperament the Nijkerk organ is tuned to today, and what would be historically accurate?

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 5:22 am

Larason2,

I have only played it for a relatively short time so far, and at a fairly low volume as it was late at night and I didn't want to wake the rest of the house.

My first impressions are very favourable. The plenum has a very smooth sound which is not at all harsh, even with the mixtures. There are quite a few options for solo voices. The pedal is a bit weak, unless you add the 16' reed, which is not as loud as some Baroque reeds. The tremulant works on the whole organ but is quite gentle and lovely. I think you could play most of Bach on it quite effectively (though I haven't checked the pedal compass as Bach sometimes goes up to an F).

I think it is an instrument that I will keep returning to, and it is also very reasonably priced.

chr.schmitz

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 10:49 am

The naming is a little bit confusing. "Nijkerk Surround Original" is the original tuning of the organ. "Nijkerk Surround Tuned" is a by a concert organist tuned version.

larason2

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 2:56 pm

Thanks Julian,

That’s interesting about the pedal. It does say most of the pedal stops are transmissions from the HW, so they wouldn’t be balanced for the pedal. And I’m guessing if you tried to turn them up a bit, they would throw the Hw balance off. I guess the solution would be to make a CODM version! Or play it just with the 16 subbass as originally intended. I do love baroque mixtures when they’re relatively smooth and gentle though!

Return to Hauptwerk instruments