It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:02 am

EM Skinner Recommendations

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

larason2

EM Skinner Recommendations

PostMon Apr 25, 2022 8:15 am

I'm looking to buy a proper EM Skinner sample set (Not Aeolian Skinner), and the reason is primarily for the lovely strings and reeds on the EM Skinners, and the lush Romantic style sound. I know the question has come up a few times, and generally the recommendation is to get Evensong's St. Mark's Glendale. I'm still very much leaning in this direction, however Evensong also has the Holy Trinity Georgetown E.M. Skinner. I recently listened to this recording on Contrebombarde:

https://www.contrebombarde.com/concerth ... usic/41237

and I thought it was gorgeous, exactly the kind of sound I'm looking for. The demos of both sound very similar, however St. Mark's has a slightly longer reverberation and 2 channels. On the other hand though, St. Marks' appears to have more extended ranks and Holy Trinity more actually sampled ranks.

I've considered MDA's Mount Carmel Skinner, but the lack of multiple releases is the main problem there for me. Still a lovely sounding instrument though, and in many ways similar to the other two.

I know the solution is to buy both (or all three!), but I'd like to ideally only buy one! Anyone familiar with both of Evensong's offerings able to help me decide? Thanks!

mnailor

Re: EM Skinner Recommendations

PostMon Apr 25, 2022 11:08 am

Immanuel Presbyterian is a much better sounding sampleset than Trinity Georgetown, and has real acoustics you can adjust. I also like the Sonus Paradisi Skinner, though it's been modified a lot from the original. Those are the two Skinners I've kept using after buying all of them. I'd suggest trying a demo of both. Voicing time and balancing perspectives is going to be necessary to hear them at their best.

SMG Skinner's historic console (original ranks only) is good, too, but is a different scale of organ. I'll use it again at some point after I get over my current "simplying my life" project...

If original E.M. Skinners are what you want, Immanuel and SMG are the best to have. My opinion, of course.

voet

PostMon Apr 25, 2022 12:06 pm

I concur with mnailor's recommendations. I played a 1929 E. M. Skinner earlier in my career and wanted a Hauptwerk set that captured the essence of Skinner. In my opinion, due to the changes made to Trinity Georgetown it no longer sounds like the work of the original builder. Of the 3 E. M. Skinner sample sets that I own, I find Immanuel Presbyterian the most satisfying.

I will not purchase another E. M. Skinner sample set unless someone is able to offer Girard College, Yale, Woolsey Hall, or St. Luke's, Evanston.

larason2

PostMon Apr 25, 2022 2:16 pm

Ah, yes thanks. Not sure how I missed that one! I should have been doing more research! Based on demos and further looking into it, I agree the Immanuel Presbyterian it is the best of the lot. Decision made! Thanks again!

mnailor

PostSun May 01, 2022 6:08 pm

I've been comparing Immanuel (IPLA) and San Francisco (SF) on various registrations, especially full ensembles because of previous comments in another thread.

It seems like the SF 1924-1926 Skinner instrument is mostly intact if I omit the stops added/substituted after 1926, and then it sounds as good as IPLA in larger registrations. I haven't compared stop-by-stop, but some common smaller registrations are also similarly good.

SF just has a bunch of post-Skinner neobaroque-like ranks that you don't even have to load, that tend to make the larger ensembles sound wrong if included. For example, the added Choir and Great mixtures, Great Clarion, and Choir French Trumpet don't necessarily blend into a nice dark full organ sound (which probably shouldn't include the Choir anyway).

I think this situation is comparable to Hereford, where there's still a Willis in there but you have to leave out some stops to hear it.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments