It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 am

Bückeburg Free Sample Set - Sonus Paradisi

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

larason2

Re: Bückeburg Free Sample Set - Sonus Paradisi

PostFri May 20, 2022 8:32 am

I mostly see RAM as making more things possible in Hauptwerk. For years I made do with 4 GB of RAM, and the only sample sets I could load were St. Georgenkirche, St. Eucaire (stripped down a lot!), and St. Anne’s. It was pretty limited, but I enjoyed Hauptwerk many years with just this. Of course I was always salivating for more RAM and bigger sets, but at the time it was impossible. I was also using HW4 Basic. Then I upgraded to 16 GB and HW5 advanced, and the possibilities increased tremendously! Still, there were some sample sets I couldn’t load, particularly bigger ones or more than one channel on medium ones. Now I have 64 GB of RAM, and I find I can load almost anything at max quality, with all the perspectives. So I would say increasing RAM opens up possibilities, but if your needs are really basic, you don’t need that much. Also, I have told people my system has 64GB of RAM, and they can’t believe it has that much. What isn’t much or is normal for Hauptwerk is a lot for computers in general!

mnailor

PostFri May 20, 2022 10:00 am

Agreed. Considering that 1 GB of sample loops is about 1 hour of uncompressed audio at 24 bits, 48k samples per second, and compression ratios are fairly consistent, there's a direct relationship between memory required and how much audio time is recorded and shipped in the sample loops and releases.

So more mic perspectives, longer reverb, longer loops, and sampled trems all require more memory. There are a lot of options for reducing RAM needs on a big sampleset, including running Janke at 20 bits in less than 20 GB of RAM. But there's no way to get more detail if it's not there in the first place.

A small memory sampleset isn't automatically of lower sound quality than a memory hog, but I'd rather have more and longer recordings and leave some out if necessary.

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostThu May 26, 2022 6:02 pm

I have been playing this sample set a lot since I installed it and it is rapidly becoming one of my all-time favourites. Not only does it sound quite realistic in my system but it is very beautiful and has a wide range of colours. I am learning Hindemith's Sonata No. 2 at the moment, which suits it rather well. In particular I am finding that the Regal and the Vox Humana make a very effective contrast between p and mf in the second movement (a kind of folky-sounding if somewhat atonal Sicilienne) and at one point the effect is almost like Northumbrian pipes (which sound very different from Highland bagpipes). I normally play this on a flute and an 8' principal, which also works well with this particular organ, but I prefer the reeds. The unequal temperament of the original instrument also sounds OK with this rather chromatic music; I have previously tried Hindemith with a meantone tuning which is quite painful...

I will be upgrading to the full version once I have solved the problem of my limited hard drive space in order to get the additional realism of the close perspectives that are missing in the demo.

magnaton

PostFri May 27, 2022 10:29 am

JulianMoney-Kyrle wrote:I have been playing this sample set a lot since I installed it and it is rapidly becoming one of my all-time favourites.

Exactly my sentiment! I pretty much decided to purchase Noordbroek then this one was announced. Having 3 manuals, an Unda Maris, Trems, full mutations, and a 32' Flue, I'm very satisfied! I haven't found anything from my repertoire that doesn't work well on this instrument which is a true testament for any organ.

I have a decent multi-channel surround setup routing the "Direct" and "Diffuse" to the same front speakers. I favor the Direct being at a higher volume with the Diffuse set just to add some 'body' to the tone. Unfortunately with this config, I really miss the Direct ranks for the Pedal and OW divisions. Very clever of Jiri to know which perspectives to omit so the paid version is worth the price. And a reasonable price at that 8). The Regal in particular is lacking some clarity compared to the other reeds where the "Direct" samples are present.

I'm also glad its the 3 perspective design vs the 4 as found in some later sets. What I have done and read in the forums for the big 4 perspective sets (direct, close, near, far), is users end up auditioning all perspectives then eventually drop one to save on RAM and load time.

Finally, I will be speaking with the music ministry of a large, historic Polish church built in the late 1800s about upgrading their 1970s electronic to a VPO. I can see this sample set as a excellent fit for them!

Danny B.

1961TC4ME

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 5:30 pm

Hello all,

I downloaded this set when it came out and finally got around to installing it last night. What a beautiful set! The sound and overall clarity is spot on, my sound system came to life. Single stops by themselves or just a minimal registration of stops along with the pedal is very nice, you can come up with some very unique and pleasing sounds. I wish I had installed it earlier! As some have said, it quickly has become one of their favorite sets, I can see that happening with me as well and I look forward to more playing and exploring tonight. I only did some jumping around and improvising last night just getting the feel for the set and hear the samples of the stops, it is a delight to say the least! Jiri, thank you for this wonderful gift.

Marc

vpo-organist

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 6:37 pm

Most of it is free, but it is only perfect with the parts that can be bought later.

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 7:18 pm

Yes, it is well worth paying the small fee to complete it.

jkinkennon

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 12:44 pm

Yes, I just ordered the extra perspectives needed to fill out the set IMHO. I'm between organs with my best computer and sound equipment out in the garage while I work on the big five manual console. I turned on the portable heater and am looking forward to playing the Buckeburg samples this afternoon.
Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments