It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 am

GRONINGEN NEW VERSION- BEWARE

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

bourdon

GRONINGEN NEW VERSION- BEWARE

PostWed May 25, 2022 3:08 pm

Sonus paradisi has delivered an update of Groningen, without warning on its site that this update would only work on Hauptwerk 7!! !So, if you uninstall your previous version unaware of this, and if you don't have Hauptwerk 7, then you don't have Groningen any more , and unless you wish to buy HW7, you have to reinstall the copy of the previous version....

mnailor

Re: GRONINGEN NEW VERSION- BEWARE

PostWed May 25, 2022 3:15 pm

It would be good to mention it on the Updates tab too, but...

https://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/organs/ ... rtini.html

See the first paragraph on the Features tab for the organ.

And from the announcement email sent to existing customers, who should be the people affected by this other than new buyers who should read the Features tab:

"The sample set is good for Hauptwerk 7, because of the new encryption mechanism.

The installation packages were updated in your Sonus Paradisi account. You can visit "My Products" area, and download the fresh installation of the version 1.37 from there. (Again, you need Hauptwerk 7 to run the sample set!)"

bourdon

PostWed May 25, 2022 3:24 pm

Nailor:

1°) It is perhaps on the "feature" tab , but definitely not on the update tab you would directly go to ( as I did after hearing a recording on contrebombarde).

2°) Checked mails : yes, it is said by mail from SP. But , there again, you're not supposed to look at your mails first !
=> So would the best not be to put the warning directly on the "Update" tab ??..

- I would like to add, that I don't understand the alledged motive given by sonus paradisi that the fact that the update is only playable with HW 7 is due to "new incription" ?? If it is an update, shouldn't it be fluid with the previous HW versions with which it worked ??

Posaune32

PostWed May 25, 2022 6:55 pm

A more obvious clarification would indeed be helpful, because (1) it has different version requirements which you wouldn't really expect from an upgrade, especially for a fairly recent set, and (2) this is the first set to require specifically HW 7 to my knowledge; the expectation so far has been for 5/6/7 to all be compatible and I don't think there's been hints to the contrary before this. Critically, the purchase page still mentions HW 5+ as supported.

larason2

PostWed May 25, 2022 7:21 pm

On the plus side, Jiri has apparently made available in this update the original, unaltered mixtures, which I think would be a tremendous improvement!

bourdon

PostSat May 28, 2022 7:19 pm

- The mixture of the 3rd keyboard, which is available in the demo set (running under Hauptwerk 5) sounds certainly quite well improved compared to the previous version of Groningen.

- But again, is there an explanation to the fact that people are compelled to upgrade to Hauptwerk 7 in order to access this improved version of the Groningen set, which corrects flaws of the previous versions ??..
-->As said before ,and by other persons too, people who bought the previous versions of this sample-set ,working under previous versions of Hauptwerk ( HW 5 or 6) expect normally to benefit from corrections and improvements without having specifically to upgrade also to Hauptwerk 7 !
This is the first time such a situation occurs.
Sonus Pradisi says this new version of Groningen must run under HW 7 , due to the encryption of the set...
But, other new sample sets run under previous versions of HW ( 5 or 6 and even 4), and the demo set of Groningen itself runs too under HW 5 or 6 ...
So, is this due to an evolution of the Hauptwerk encryption software ,and why fot this set in particular ?
Otherwise, is it technically possible to issue a working version of Groningen v. 1.37 avoiding to be obliged to get HW 7?
Last edited by bourdon on Sat May 28, 2022 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mnailor

PostSat May 28, 2022 7:43 pm

If encryption is the only reason, I think that's the same in HW 5, 6, and 7 (ever since iLok replaced HASP).

Perhaps it's a typo, or SP used some ODF features not supported before HW 7.

bourdon

PostSat May 28, 2022 7:52 pm

Thanks, mnailor, I see...
Then, if this changing of codes is not mandatory, perhaps Sonus Paradisi could consider rewriting the parts working only under HW 7 , in order to make the whole compatible with HW 5 or 6 ?..

mnailor

PostSat May 28, 2022 11:41 pm

Have you asked Jiri about this through the SP contact email? He doesn't necessarily read the forum most of the time, so we're just speculating at this point.

mdyde

PostSun May 29, 2022 6:28 am

Hello bourdon,

Hauptwerk v7 does have updated encryption, to take advantage of the latest security updates from PACE. However, it can of course still load sample sets in v5/v6 format, so it's up to sample set producers whether they prefer to release new samples sets in v5 format, or v7 format. Presumably Jiri chose the latter in order to take advantage of the latest security (or possibly in order to take advantage of new organ definition file features that weren't available until v7).

If you think the v7+ requirement for the sample set isn't made as clear as it could be on Sonus Paradisi's website/email, or then I too would recommend contacting him directly to suggest he update them to clarify that.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

bourdon

PostSun May 29, 2022 7:07 am

- Thanks again , mnailor .
And thanks also, Martin, for your always precious explanations !

mdyde

PostSun May 29, 2022 7:11 am

Thanks. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Mixtuur4st

PostSat Jun 04, 2022 8:52 am

But the demo version works fine on HW4.2.1

Have fun,
Jack

Return to Hauptwerk instruments