It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:30 am

When will we reach this level?

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Andrea75

Re: When will we reach this level?

PostMon Aug 29, 2022 2:48 am

I read this discussion with great interest: there are many food for thought for a producer like me, still in its infancy. I think the observations on the maintenance of spatial information have a very great importance: thanks to those who raised the topic and to those who are intervening!
Andrea Bonzi, Milan

http://www.andreabonzi.it
http://www.hauptwerk.andreabonzi.it

"... di lor non ragioniam, ma guarda e passa..." (Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia)

1961TC4ME

PostTue Aug 30, 2022 11:10 am

Thanks all for the feedback on this topic, it's been interesting to see the comments and it appears many of us are in agreement on this topic to one extent or another.

It's hard to put into words what I hear when I listen to any of the recordings on CCH vs. what I hear in the Pipedreams recordings. Probably the best way I can describe it is the recordings on CCH regardless of the instrument or version of HW, all sound like they're in the same room, just with a varying degree of wetness applied. Whereas, in the Pipedreams recordings each acoustic has its own sound characteristic, you hear depth, you hear pipes sounding closer and further away depending on where they are located, you hear left and right and the nuances of the room, and for me anyways it paints a picture in my head of the room and what it might look like, these are the kind of things I don't hear in any of the CCH recordings and maybe that's the difference in a nutshell.

Funny, but in some of the Pipedreams recordings you get the occasional and unintended door door slamming in the background or someone coughing, and you can hear the distance and space in the recording again giving you an idea of the size of the acoustic. Don't get me wrong, not that I'm asking the sample set producers to put doors slamming and people coughing in the recordings to create more realism, but you get the idea. :mrgreen:

Marc

josq

PostMon Sep 05, 2022 5:13 am

As organists, we prefer a more direct, dry sound than the listener. Our settings in Hauptwerk, and even the original recordings of the sample set will be adjusted to this preference. Which will be different from the choices that recording engineers typically made. Maybe that's part of the explanation of the perceived difference between Hauptwerk recordings and live recordings.

mnailor

PostMon Sep 05, 2022 11:38 am

Not all organists prefer a more direct or dry sound... :D

I don't think we can compare a Hauptwerk recording *fairly* to a CD of the actual organ, even though it's a good discussion to have.

A fairer comparison might be to the raw recording tracks from just one pair of mics before any mixing or editing is done to produce the CD. The mics should be in a similar position to the perspective compared in HW.

This eliminates anything the CD's recording engineer does to enhance a specific track of music -- whether it's raising the level on a ppp movement, emphasizing a particular division to bring out a passage, bringing up a mic level to pick out that solo flute, fading reverb faster to clean up the sound, or whatever artistic things they do to make a CD sound great.

The HW sample producer can't do any of that good stuff because the sampleset isn't being edited for any one piece of music.

Not that a pipe organ simulator should be expected to sound exactly like one particular CD representation of the pipe organ, which can differ a lot between CDs of the same organ -- HW is yet another representation.
Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments