It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:13 am

A Sample Set Wish List

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

organsRgreat

Re: A Sample Set Wish List

PostWed Sep 14, 2022 11:50 am

Sample sets of Compton cinema organs are available from Melotone productions:

https://sites.google.com/view/melotone- ... tions/home

I know the Southampton Guildhall Compton well, and heard it several times during the 1960s-70s in the very capable hands of Reginald Porter-Brown, who was able to fully exploit its capabilities as a theatre and a classical organ. I also heard a purely classical recital by a lady organist whose name I’ve forgotten.

The Guildhall is a big space to fill with sound, and John Compton did it primarily with batteries of high-powered reeds. So far as I can tell as a listener, the flues only go up to mf or forte; to achieve a convincing ff climax the reeds are essential. They then dominate the ensemble, whereas my preference is for full organ to consist of a seamless blend of foundation flues, reeds and upperwork. This is typical of many British church organs – especially in the romantic period of Willis, William Hill etc.

Unfortunately many people find the Guildhall reeds rather harsh – particularly when listening on the balcony, when one is directly in line with the pipework, but also downstairs on the floor of the auditorium. An FRCO friend who has had occasion to play that organ regularly in concerts – using its classical console – hasn’t a good word to say for it; he once remarked “It’s not a quality instrument”. The Comptons I’ve most enjoyed are his medium size theatre organs – particularly the ABC/Regal Torquay (which I’ve played in public) and the ABC Plymouth (perhaps John Compton liked Devon!).

At this point we are entering territory better served by pipe organ discussion forums, and even there such discussions are of limited usefulness, because so much is a matter of opinion. If you love the sound of the Guildhall Compton, it’s not for me to say you shouldn’t, and I certainly don’t want to spoil your enjoyment. Reg Porter-Brown seems to have loved it. I find the voicing of the Brighton organ exceptional throughout (I heard it live during the 1960s), but I don’t expect everyone to agree with me. As a theatre organ it’s sound is probably unique, and I believe a Hauptwerk version would sound glorious. Whether my advocacy persuades any sample maker to take an interest in it remains to be seen . . .

jmoboe

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 1:04 pm

The 3-manual von Beckerath organ installed in the Immaculate Conception church in Montreal. It is one of my favorite German baroque organs. The renowned Canadian organist Bernard Lagacé used this organ for a recording of the Complete Collection of Bach's organ works and for a joint recording with his wife Mireille Lagacé of Buxtehude's organ works.

https://ciocm.org/en/the-von-beckerath- ... onception/

jmoboe

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 1:06 pm

jmoboe

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 1:10 pm

Sorry again. It looks like the web site trucated the link. I tried using the "Preview" button and everything looked OK. I am trying to write the last part of the link as text and hope that it will be transmitted correctly

the-von-beckerath-of-immaculee-conception

larason2

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 6:59 pm

The links worked for me!

Erzahler

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 6:22 am

If you ever have trouble getting a long link to show use TinyURL to shorten it.

organsRgreat

PostWed Sep 21, 2022 4:33 am

My impression is that the Forum software shortens urls on-screen, but stores them in full internally; so that clicking on the links does work, as has happened here.

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 7:19 am

I have just been listening to recordings of the Schnitger organ at St. Jacobi, Hamburg. Now THAT would be an interesting one to have. Though I agree about the many interesting organs in Oxford, including the one at Queens' College (and the Tickell at Keble College, the Dobson at Merton College, the Metzler at St. Mary's University Church and the Rieger at Christ Church Cathedral, not to mention the Cavaille-Coll-inspired instrument at Exeter College by Walker and the French Classical-inspired organ at St. John's College by Bernard Aubertin. However, I still think the Grant, Degens and Bradbeer organ at New College is the one that most addresses the gaps in what is available for Hauptwerk, and one that I would particularly like to see sampled, hopefully with the strange mutation stops donated by the builders restored again.

cochereau32

PostSat Jan 07, 2023 11:54 am

Another idea… I just watched a video of Martin Kondziella play a beautiful piece on a colorful, large romantic organ at the St. Johanniskirche in Zittau. This would be a fantastic organ to have in the Hauptwerk library!

Wishfully yours….. :wink:
Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments