It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:37 am

OLMC Skinner V2 - patiently waiting

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

giwro

Re: OLMC Skinner V2 - patiently waiting

PostFri Oct 07, 2022 6:06 pm

1961TC4ME wrote:There is the 1927 E.M. Skinner sanctuary organ at the Cathedral of St. Paul in St. Paul, MN which was the original instrument installed there. It's a smaller organ with I think 30 some stops, 38 if I recall, which would be a nice smaller EM Skinner to have and it's in an awesome acoustic. I've heard it in person a few times and it's very nice. The problem there is getting the folks from the Cathedral off the dime and giving you the OK to sample which is the equivalent of pulling teeth! :mrgreen:

Jonathan, if you have the Northrop instrument in the works, that would be an awesome set and I'll probably sign up for that one.

Marc

Yes, I’m not teasing, we are sampling it. There are 2 or 3 organs in the development queue before it, and we’ve only completed recording on the GT and most of the pedal… it will likely take another 4-5 8-hour sessions.
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net

smfrank

PostFri Oct 07, 2022 6:14 pm

giwro wrote:There are 2 or 3 organs in the development queue before it,.

Switch them around!

TubaFan

PostFri Oct 07, 2022 6:19 pm

voet wrote:I also feel there is a need for a pristine E. M. Skinner organ. I have purchased several Skinner Hauptwerk sample sets, and have generally found them to be disappointing. Personally, I think there are other Skinner's that would be better than Mt. Carmel. The holy grail would be the organ he built for Yale University - Woolsey Hall, which many consider to be the finest symphonic organ in the world. However, there are other candidates as well. St. Luke's, Evanston would be an excellent choice. I am sure that there are additional candidates that I am unaware of. To me the criteria that should be 1. an instrument that has not been altered, 2. an instrument that has many of his signature stops.

St. Peter's Episcopal in Morristown, NJ would be a good candidate as well.

giwro

PostFri Oct 07, 2022 7:48 pm

smfrank wrote:
giwro wrote:There are 2 or 3 organs in the development queue before it,.

Switch them around!

Haha.

We are at the mercy of the scheduling gods, the hall is very busy. In all likelihood, we’ll be finished with the 3 about the time we finish recording, so there’s that.

The hall is very quiet, and the organ is in amazing shape, having just been renovated…
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net

TubaFan

PostSat Oct 08, 2022 9:47 am

It would be awesome if this topic stayed on track and discussed only Skinner organs. Maybe that way it will be heard by someone who sees the need for either a new sample set of an authentic Skinner organ of some size or the re-release of the Mt. Carmel sample set.

Honestly, a good percentage of the posts here have nothing to do with Skinner organs. That leads to frustration on the part of people like myself who would like to be heard and not lost in the conversation of unrelated instruments.

TubaFan

PostSat Oct 08, 2022 11:11 am

magnaton wrote:
TubaFan wrote:I would love to have an authentic Skinner as well, preferably one of his instruments large enough to have a 16' Diapason in the Great.

Again, Mount Carmel Skinner! What an excellent specification!

Surely, if the work on the sample set is already done, this would be the easiest answer! I'm not sure why they won't release it if the work has been completed. It would be highly popular immediately.

mnailor

PostSat Oct 08, 2022 11:19 am

I have to assume, after more than a decade since St. Eucaire was released, that MDA is out of the sampleset production business and won't be adding multiple releases to their Skinner.

TubaFan

PostSat Oct 08, 2022 11:37 am

mnailor wrote:I have to assume, after more than a decade since St. Eucaire was released, that MDA is out of the sampleset production business and won't be adding multiple releases to their Skinner.

It would be awesome if they would allow someone else to finish it then. If not, there is still the need for a new sample set to fit the description Danny mentioned in the first post, something that has not been highly altered and a set that does not have an A- before it.

profeluisegarcia

PostSat Oct 08, 2022 4:02 pm

Jiri ¿Where are you? :)

dw154515

PostSat Oct 08, 2022 9:38 pm

I agree. Hand the files over to Sonus Paradisi and I bet people would be throwing money at the Mt. Carmel Skinner.

Drew A. Worthen
Master of Music in Composition - Butler University
http://www.drewworthen.com
Director of Music & Website Admin - Greenwood UMC
http://www.greenwoodumc.org
Design Engineer - American Sound and Electronics - Indy
https://americansound.cc/

magnaton

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 11:45 am

mnailor wrote:I have to assume, after more than a decade since St. Eucaire was released, that MDA is out of the sampleset production business and won't be adding multiple releases to their Skinner.

dw154515 wrote:I agree. Hand the files over to Sonus Paradisi and I bet people would be throwing money at the Mt. Carmel Skinner.

Now THAT is the best idea I have heard yet! That would be a win-win for everyone involved.

Hello Juri and Brett . . . . . tell us the pre-order count requirement to make this happen? It worked for the Ford F-150 Lightning, Tesla, and Lucid. There were X number of pre-orders (deposits in hand) before they even started production!

Danny B.

TubaFan

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 5:04 pm

I would pre-order.

smfrank

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 6:24 pm

TubaFan wrote:I would pre-order.

Me, too!!!

b_physics_guy

PostMon Oct 17, 2022 4:55 pm

When I got Hauptwerk in 2012, I wanted to do orchestral transcriptions, and the Mt. Carmel seemed like the organ with the greatest variety of sounds.

It still does.

TubaFan

PostFri Oct 28, 2022 11:39 am

Here's another great Skinner organ: https://pipeorgandatabase.org/organ/7278
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments