It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:12 am

Wegenstein Organ from Reformed Church in Brasov - New

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

takatsa

Wegenstein Organ from Reformed Church in Brasov - New

PostTue Oct 25, 2022 1:32 am

I am happy to inform everyone that completed my new sample set of Wegensein Organ from Reformed Church in Brasov . The small romantic organ has two manual and pedal and 18 stops.

Brasov (German: Kronstadt, Hungarian: Brassó) is a large city with 250,000 inhabitants in Southern Transylvania (Romania). Brasov was the center of the Transylvanian Saxons, who were settled in Transylvania by the Hungarian kings between 1100 and 1300. Brasov was an important industrial and trading city in the Middle Ages and in the modern era, and the largest Gothic church in Eastern Europe, the Black Church, is located here. In the past, Saxons, Romanians and Hungarians lived in almost equal proportions in Brasov, but today only 100-200 Saxons live in the city and 20,000 Hungarians, the rest of the city's residents are Romanians.

The religious distribution corresponds to the national distribution. The Romanians are Orthodox, the Hungarians are Catholic and Reformed, and the Saxons are Lutheran. The city's most significant church monuments are connected to the Saxon Lutherans. There are currently 15,000 Catholics and 7,000 Protestants living in the city. The Reformed belong to 3 communities, the most significant of which is the downtown Reformed parish. This parish had a beautiful neo-Gothic church built in the 19th century. The church's 2-manual, 18-register, late-romantic organ was built by the Wegenstein organ factory in Temesvár in 1915. The Wegenstein organ factory was a major organ manufacturer in Hungary, along with the Angster and Rieger factories. Wegenstein mainly built organs in Transylvania, but his organs can also be found in Bucharest and Budapest, in the Jesuit church.

In 1963, the communist regime destroyed the downtown Reformed church. Instead of the church, the Reformed parish got a gymnasium. This gymnasium is still used today, which was slightly rebuilt based on the plans of Károly Kós and equipped with a tower. This beautiful organ is now serving in this house of worship, converted from a gymnasium. Unfortunately, the dry acoustic environment does not reproduce the sparkle of the organ's original and unique sound. This is the first Wegenstein organ to be sampled by Hauptwerk. There is a 3-manual Wegenstein organ in the downtown Catholic parish church of Brasov, I hope that in the future I will be able to obtain permission to record this organ as well.

The sample sets are available in wave format 48kHz/24bit, stereo, multiple loops (1-8) and multiple releases (3 levels).
Equal temperament, a=433 Hz. The reverb 1-1.5 s, reflects the original acoustics of the church.
Hauptwerk v4.2 and v5 and v6 and v7 supported for the Organ Definition Files.
The sample sets made in two forms.
Stereo front and six-channels surround.
In the surround versions you can adjust the perspective by setting the volume of the front-near, and front-far and rear recordings.
The sample RAM requirement is not high, the stereo version requires 5 GB, the surround version requires 12 GB for 24-bit loading.

Screenshot
Audio demos
More information

The following friends helped me to make and publish the sample set (in alphabetical order): Dominique Dantand, Gérard Lefranc, Nagy István and Jean-Pierre Silvestre. If something's done well, it's thanks to them. Thank you for their work. I especially thank my friend László Megyaszai, a reformed cantor from Brasov, for his help. He also obtained the recording permit and the accommodation in Brasov. I can thank him for the recording of all Transylvanian organs (Gelence, Kanta, Sepsiszentgyörgy, Brasov Reformed church, Brasso Franciscan church).

Return to Hauptwerk instruments