It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:20 am

Erfurt Predigerkirche - new sample set

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

puciak

Erfurt Predigerkirche - new sample set

PostSat Nov 05, 2022 3:53 pm

I've just released a new sample set - Erfurt Predigerkirche (Germany). It is a 57 stop (extended from 56) neo baroque organ, built in 1977 by Schuke from Potsdam, Germany. The magnificent baroque case dates back to 1648, built by Ludwig Compenius. From what I know, it is the first Schuke organ available for Hauptwerk. I hope you will like it!

More details at: https://piotrgrabowski.pl
Piotr Grabowski - Virtual Pipe Organ Sample Sets
https://piotrgrabowski.pl

Posaune32

Re: Erfurt Predigerkirche - new sample set

PostTue Nov 08, 2022 1:45 am

Sounds quite nice from the demos so far. The tutti is rounded and not harsh and does seem to have some "Baroque" (not just neo-Baroque) character as well. The front ranks are also spacious and not too direct, and this is definitely a set I'll consider buying.

That said - this might seem nitpicky, but I do wish there was a mixture in the demo. I find it a bit difficult to get an idea of what the set will be like without mixtures or mutations, considering the number of mixtures on this organ and their contribution to the overall characteristic of the tutti (compared to other organ styles that don't rely on them as much). Especially since with some other sets I tend to find that the individual foundations sound nice, but something about the mixtures is off - they seem to behave in a way that you can't glean from lower foundation stops.

magnaton

PostTue Nov 08, 2022 10:08 am

Wow! Listening to the demo recordings the sound (pipes) just jumps through the speakers! All voices seem crystal clear, and beautiful.

B777Captain

PostTue Nov 08, 2022 3:40 pm

I really like this sample set… and plan to research it a bit more but will probably end up getting it.

You have probably all seen this, but Richard McVeifgh has done a few videos of this sample. Here is one of the two….
I must say, I’m impressed with the sample!

https://youtu.be/ySIUlzvT8EA

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

organsRgreat

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 5:11 pm

Posaune32: “with some other sets I tend to find that the individual foundations sound nice, but something about the mixtures is off - they seem to behave in a way that you can't glean from lower foundation stops”. Just a thought - in most Hauptwerk sample sets, mixtures are sampled per note. That is to say – if you draw a 3 rank mixture stop, and play middle C, all three notes in the mixture will be part of the same sample, and will sound through the same speaker. Since some of the mixture notes will be non-unison, intermodulation distortion within the speaker will be particularly bad. As a general rule, pipe organs don’t suffer from intermodulation distortion. That could be why Hauptwerk mixtures don’t always do what you expect. If you’re able to feed the mixtures to a separate pair of speakers, or ideally a multichannel set, you might be happier with the sound. They could be small speakers as they’ll only be handling high frequencies – but of course every speaker channel needs a sound card output, which all adds to the expense. I think Evensong have at least one sample set in which the pipes in mixture stops are sampled individually, but I can’t recall which.

mnailor

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 5:45 pm

That's a good point about mixtures. Most aren't sampled as separate pipes, so distributing them across speakers isn't often possible.

But I started putting all my upperwork (actually 4' and up) on a separate group of eight Adam A3X speakers, with all the 32, 16, and 8' ranks on heavier speaker groups. It really helped the overall sound, to me.

My goal was actually different, so this was a nice side-effect. Previously I was using groups to assign whole divisions to speakers, but that has the defect that, for example, all the 8' fonds aren't at the right relative levels between divisions, and there's no way for me to recover the sampled balance across different types of speakers.

So now I assign ranks to groups based on pitch and whether flue or reed, so 32, 16, 8, and 4+ groups for flues and same for reeds, and those 8 basic groups are duplicated for front, rear, front + reverb, and rear + reverb. That's 32 groups on top of 4 real sets of speakers, but it sounds a lot better and setting up an organ doesn't take much longer than the by division approach did.

Sorry, this isn't on topic.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments