It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:58 am

Blackburn sample set release

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Llannerch Organs

Blackburn sample set release

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 7:52 pm

We are very excited at Llannerch Organs - in conjunction with Evensong and Sesquialtera Organs - to be able to release the Blackburn sample set THIS WEEKEND.

Richard McVeigh's Beauty in Sound YouTube channel is kindly hosting major launch events from 1st - 4th December including a live recital on the new sample set, a concert of music for Advent to Christmas on the real organ, a full demonstration of the real organ and more!

The Blackburn sample set will go on sale at llannerchorgans.weebly.com following the live BiS concert on 3rd December at approximately 9.30pm GMT.

B777Captain

Re: Blackburn sample set release

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 8:24 pm

I saw this on the BIS Video earlier today and have to say I am very impressed with this sample!

For those who missed this video, here it is and also features the Blackburn organist, John Hosking as part of the demo introduction. Well done in my opinion on this sample set!

https://youtu.be/We5zYVeBrcI

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

RichardW

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 10:42 pm

I have watched the recital on the real organ as well as this evening's Hauptwerk recital. The Blackburn Cathedral organ is certainly a magnificent sounding instrument.

John Hosking, the current organist, can really make it sing.
Last edited by RichardW on Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

vpo-organist

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 7:01 am

How many Perspectives has the Sampleset?
How many Release-Samples are used?

jerrymartin

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 9:24 am

I am thrilled so far and wanted to give early positive feedback and answer vpo-organist's question to some degree.

The large download completed without issue and installed with no challenges. I am fortunate to have a well equipped PC but loading all perspectives in 24bit will require 64 GB.

The instrument is supplied with three perspectives: a close, ambient, and diffuse/surround. I do recommend checking out the videos of the real and virtual instrument on Beauty in Sound to understand how the organ sits in the very generous acoustic. John Hosking, in the real organ demonstration/tour gives important advice about registration as this is not a typical English organ, but is capable of that sound and so much more!

My music room/hauptwerk is setup as follows: close perspective runs over 4 large monitor speakers. I use 4 additional large floor standers with independent power amplification to hear the ambient and rear perspectives. I finally have a large sub for the rumble.

Blackburn is recorded such that the most important perspective is the close (I have this at 100%), and both ambient and rear needing to be below the 50% level (the acoustic is SO large, that things get very wet and muddy if these are up too high).

The next challenge is overall organ volume / trim - the dynamic range is astonishing from the quietest whisper to the attention-grabbing, and deafening Imperial trumpet! I have set the trim so that the sound meter in HW is firmly in the red with tutti including that trumpet, and even beginning to break up - that ensures that things are not too quiet on the other end (and I personally will be using that large scale reed for occasional solos, rather than included in full chords!)

The organ is available as a 2 week demo and I highly recommend trying it out.

I for one am grateful to the international collaboration between Evensong in the US, and the Llannerch team in the UK (and everyone who helped get this sounding so close to the original). This is a most exciting organ and addition the Hauptwerk library, and I look forward very much to exploring it!
Jeremiah Martin,
Portsmouth, Ohio

Freereed

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 10:49 am

Hi Jerry.

Thanks for the useful info. As a matter of interest, what sample rate setting are you using - 96kHz or something less demanding? Do you find it makes a difference in reality? Also, what kind of polyphony numbers are you using for best effect?

Many thanks .... and I'm looking forwards to some recordings from you on Blackburn :)

Cheers ... Joe

CarsonCooman

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 12:23 pm

jerrymartin wrote:I am thrilled so far and wanted to give early positive feedback and answer vpo-organist's question to some degree.

To answer vpo-organist's other question, there are the (typical) three releases (within the very wet acoustic). And as Jerry has said, setting the three perspectives (and overall audio level) properly is very significant for this organ. And while some of us may use little or none of the so-labeled "direct" channels on other organs, one certainly must include it here in the mix (generously).

One other general point (since it does not appear to be mentioned elsewhere)—it is worth nothing that the tremulants are modeled and not sampled. Since all four manual divisions have tremulants (and as Jerry points out, the cache size is already very large indeed), one can understand why the decision was made by the producers not to nearly double the size of it further, putting it by that point out of the range of a good many users' memory configurations. (But since one has generally come to expect top-priced new sample sets to have sampled tremulants—and for those of us who find modeled tremulants in wet rooms wholly unconvincing—it's just worth noting that here they are modeled.)

But the good news is that the organ (as excellently demonstrated by John Hosking) has plenty of interesting colors even without using tremulants.

vpo-organist

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 5:26 pm

Jerry and Carson, thank you very much for your information. You have made me curious, although the acoustics seem to me to be such that after a "reverb bath" it could quickly become too much. I will watch the video of the original organ.

giwro

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 8:32 pm

CarsonCooman wrote:
jerrymartin wrote:I am thrilled so far and wanted to give early positive feedback and answer vpo-organist's question to some degree.

One other general point (since it does not appear to be mentioned elsewhere)—it is worth nothing that the tremulants are modeled and not sampled. Since all four manual divisions have tremulants (and as Jerry points out, the cache size is already very large indeed), one can understand why the decision was made by the producers not to nearly double the size of it further, putting it by that point out of the range of a good many users' memory configurations. (But since one has generally come to expect top-priced new sample sets to have sampled tremulants—and for those of us who find modeled tremulants in wet rooms wholly unconvincing—it's just worth noting that here they are modeled.)

But the good news is that the organ (as excellently demonstrated by John Hosking) has plenty of interesting colors even without using tremulants.

Just an addition to what Carson says - the decision to not include the tremulants was not due to memory constraints - the tremulants were not deemed functioning in a good way/producing a desirable effect, so they were not even sampled.
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net

vpo-organist

PostSun Dec 11, 2022 3:32 pm

@Llannerch Organs:
Please add Paypal as a payment option.

Theorbe

PostSun Dec 11, 2022 6:12 pm

Deleted by author.