It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:45 am

Carl Hesse type Organ from Egerszeg (Hungary) 38+3/II+P New!

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

takatsa

Carl Hesse type Organ from Egerszeg (Hungary) 38+3/II+P New!

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 2:00 am

I am happy to inform everyone that completed my new sample set of Carl Hesse style Organ from Zalaegerszeg (Hungary) . It is a medium-sized organ with a romantic disposition, with 2 manuals, 38 registers and 3 auxiliary registers (Tambur, Nachtigall, Zimbelstern).

Zalaegerszeg is a city in Hungary, the seat of Zala County. Its population is 62,000. In the 14th century, Zalaegerszeg was the largest town in the area. Its significance increased during the Turkish conquests, and it was Hungary's last fortress for more than 100 years. Even after the expulsion of the Turks, it was the most important city of the county. It lost its importance in the 19th century, the neighboring Kanizsa became the county seat. It began to develop again in communist times, due to its significant textile production and the petroleum found in the area. It is still the seat of Zala county and the most important city in Western Hungary next to Szombathely.

The Mary Magdalene parish church was built between 1747-1757. The huge, single-nave church is one of the most important buildings of the Hungarian Baroque. The frescoes of the church were made by the Viennese painter Johann Ignaz Cimbal. The parish priest of the church was József Mindszenty, Cardinal of Hungary, who suffered communist persecution.

The church's first organ was an 8-register baroque positive, built in 1764 by Johann Roth, a master organ maker from Sopron. This organ turned out to be too small for the huge church. The new organ was made in 1865 by Carl Hesse, a famous master organ builder from Vienna. This organ is two-manual and pedal-operated, with 26 registers. This organ served the liturgy for almost 100 years, but in II. it was irreparably damaged in World War II. The construction of a three-manual, 47-register Angster organ was planned, but this plan was thwarted by the communist takeover. A small harmonium was used, and a 9-register organ was made in 1956 from the remaining parts of the Carl Hesse organ. A small harmonium was used, and a 9-register organ was made in 1956 from the remaining parts of the Carl Hesse organ. From the 1960s, the 2-manual, 16-register Angster organ of the Zalaegerszeg synagogue, built in 1904, was used in the church. (The city's Jewish community of several thousand was deported in 1944 and exterminated in Auschwitz.) This organ required constant repairs, so it was sold and an electric organ was used from 1998. Finally, a new organ was built in the church by 2022. This two-manual mechanical instrument with 38 registers and three auxiliary registers (Tambur, Nachtigall, Zilbelstern) was built by the Pécs Organ Manufactory, based on the designs of Judit Hajdók. The organ was built in the style of Carl Hesse, paying tribute to the memory of the great Viennese organ builder, with the aim of restoring the wonderful sound of the church's Carl Hesse organ.

The sample sets are available in wave format 48kHz/24bit, stereo, multiple loops (1-8) and multiple releases (3 levels).
Equal temperament, a=442 Hz. The reverb 3.5 s, reflects the original acoustics of the church.
Hauptwerk v4.2 and v5 and v6 and v7 supported for the Organ Definition Files.
The sample sets made in three forms.
Stereo near, stereo far and six-channels surround.
In the surround versions you can adjust the perspective by setting the volume of the front-near, and front-far and rear recordings.
The sample RAM requirement is not high, the stereo version requires 8 GB, the surround version requires 16 GB for 24-bit loading.

Screenshot
Audio demos
More information

I owe special thanks to my friend Dezső Papp, cantor from Zalalövő. He obtained the permission to record the organ in Egerszeg, and I owe it to his intervention to obtain the permission for all my samples from Vas County and Zala County. Without his help, 2/3 of my samples could not have been made.
The following friends helped me to make and publish the sample set (in alphabetical order): Dominique Dantand, Gérard Lefranc, Nagy István and Jean-Pierre Silvestre. If something's done well, it's thanks to them. Thank you for their work.

larason2

Re: Carl Hesse type Organ from Egerszeg (Hungary) 38+3/II+P

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 9:24 am

It sounds very good! This organ also has great Baroque chops, probably because the stops have so much character and the fairly low wind pressure. I think it's one of those organs that balances Romantic and the Baroque very well. It's also nice to have a clarinet as well as an oboe on the swell. Another good organ!

takatsa

Re: Carl Hesse type Organ from Egerszeg (Hungary) 38+3/II+P

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 1:02 pm

larason2 wrote:...I think it's one of those organs that balances Romantic and the Baroque very well....

Yes, it is, my dear friend, and it is due to Carl Hesse, who was a master organ builder of considerable and distinctive style in Vienna. Hesse studied the trade in Trieste, and in his works he combined Italian traditions with the South German style of organ building. Typical features of his organs are the independent arrangement of the rows of the mixture register (1 1/3', 1', 1/2'), which enriches the registration possibilities, the Unda maris floating register, independent Terz register (3 1/5', 1 3/ 5'), the unique lip design of metal pipes and I could list more. Judit Hajdók, the designer of the organ, conducted archival research and examined several Hesse organs that are still in operation, so that the organ to be built should be as close as possible to the sound of the original Hesse organ in Zalaegerszeg.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments