It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 am

Mátyás II (2 organs, 5+P, 110 stops)

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Csaba Huszty

Mátyás II (2 organs, 5+P, 110 stops)

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 4:48 am

Dear Hauptwerk Organists!

After such a long wait, the new release of the Mátyás organ is now available.

World Heritage Mátyás Church (Matthias Church) was reconstructed between 2005 and 2015. During this renovation process, the entire organ was rebuilt and a new chapel organ was also built by organ builder Pécsi. A few stops have changed on the great organ but the most significant change is the entire rebuild to a slider chest action. Due to the addition of the chapel organ, the church interior has also slightly changed.

We had the opportunity to fully re-record the great organ and record the chapel organ, too. Both can be controlled from the same console - and within the sample set. Practically this means that the sample set has 7 manuals and 2 pedals, freely assignable to any console setup right from the GUI.

The sample set is Hauptwerk 7+ compatible and comes with impulse responses recorded during sampling.

A performance by James Flores: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXPJEbOSipM
with more demos on the website below

More on the sample set: https://www.inspiredacoustics.com/en/pr ... 2#overview

Free 10-day trial: https://www.inspiredacoustics.com/en/products/matyas2#try

Download size is 42 GB. We recommend to redeem your activation code in iLok License Manager after your download has finished.

Some photos of the church and the organ: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2709359939087889&type=3

Sampling photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.592769766182385&type=3

More about the Church: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthias_Church

The introductory price for a new perpetual license is $999/EUR 999 with VAT. Very special upgrade pricing for the previous version of the Matyas owners is offered. For accounts that had the organ registered on our website, individual coupons have already been deposited. Please get in touch with us via support if you have the previous organ but have not registered it yet.

Purchase here: https://www.inspiredacoustics.com/en/products/matyas2#buy
Yours truly,
Dr. Csaba Huszty

JulianMoney-Kyrle

Re: Mátyás II (2 organs, 5+P, 110 stops)

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 5:55 am

I have the original Matyas sample set, which I have to say I never really liked. It was very wet and I could not get it to sound realistic on my system. The new version has been recorded using multiple perspectives and I will be very interested to see how much of an improvement that is.

The initial upgrade price is very substantially discounted from the full price which has encouraged me to purchase it. Unfortunately it will be a while before I can try it out as I live in a rural area with a very slow Internet connection.

CyrilCouten

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 1:20 pm

Is this set surround, if so how many
Perspectives ?

vpo-organist

PostSat Dec 10, 2022 5:41 pm

I didn't see any perspective settings in the demo.

The Matyas-I had some artefacts because the releases were faulty. This led to a somewhat squeaky sound result.
I didn't like the PAB-V2 that much either, because the same effect existed in a weakened form. With the PAB-V3, the Release-Samples were corrected.

With the new Matyas-II, the short releases should be urgently checked.

I have already discovered beautiful sound combinations and the tremulant in the 1st manual is very well done. I haven't had more time yet because the 2022 World Cup is delaying the test period a bit ;-)

This is a sample set with many tonal possibilities.

By the way, loading with IAConnect worked perfectly 01:50:00 for 44 GB (50 MBit connection).

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostMon Dec 12, 2022 9:46 am

I have now downloaded and installed matyas II. The download took 36 hours with my rural "ultrafast fibre broadband" connection, but the download software worked well, and allowed me to pause the download when I needed to use the Internet for something else (such as watching television).

I thought the organ would come with multiple perspectives, but these are provided by to impulse-response files, for close and distant. The organ is fairly dry, but still wet enough to be usable without either, which is just as well as I am struggling a bit trying to set it up. The IR's appear to have installed properly, but when I try using either of them, the word INVALID appears in front of the name, and no reverberation is added. I have tried using the IR's supplied with Hauptwerk, which seem to work fine, but are obviously not going to be correct.

I am also not very clear whether I should be truncating the samples prior to using IR, and if so which setting I should be using. I couldn't find any instructions, either in the download itself or on the IA Web site (though there are downloadable manuals for their other organs). For that matter, I couldn't find any installation instructions, either. The download unpacked into nearly 20 RAR files (I haven't counted them), and I started installing them one by one until I realised that clicking on the first one installed the others (though I installed the ODF and IR separately at the end). The organ takes up a lot of RAM fully loaded in 24-bit, and I only had about 30GB free afterwards (I have 128GB installed). When I loaded it, I tried to choose the option for loading all loops and releases, but this did not appear to be available. However, I don't see how a stereo-only organ, even with 100+ stops, can take up so much RAM.

I have a 10-core i9 Dell workstation, and 6 stereo channels which I have arranged as three pairs of speakers at the front (close perspective for 6-channel sets) two at the side (distant perspective) and on pair at the rear (surround perspective). The speakers are Behringer 2031A monitors, and I also have an SVS sub-woofer. I have a large room with a high ceiling and most sample sets sound very good with this arrangement, though I will have to think how to route everything to get the best out of Matyas II.

If anybody can explain the INVALID IR's or how to set up the surround channels most effectively with this set I would be very grateful. I hope Csaba doesn't mind me posting this here rather than contacting him directly, but I hope my experiences will prove useful to others.

mdyde

PostMon Dec 12, 2022 10:04 am

Hello Julian,

I don't have experience with the sample set or its IRs myself, and I don't have an invalid IR to hand to verify, but if I recall correctly, if you try to select a reverb on the Audio Mixer screen with an organ loaded (i.e. whilst audio/MIDI are actually active), then I think it will show you the specific error message regarding whatever the problem is with loading that reverb. Or if not, then using "Help | View activity log" should show it. (For compatibility with 'headless' installations, Hauptwerk doesn't show an error prompt via the user interface if loading an already-selected reverb in the background when an organ is subsequently loaded, i.e. you need to have an organ loaded when selecting the reverb in order for the error message to be shown in a prompt, as opposed to solely in the log.)

JulianMoney-Kyrle wrote:When I loaded it, I tried to choose the option for loading all loops and releases, but this did not appear to be available.

Those options will be disabled for a rank if (and only if) the rank doesn't appear to have more than one of each, respectively.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostMon Dec 12, 2022 3:11 pm

Dear Martin,

Thank-you for your (as always) prompt and helpful reply.

With regard to the number of samples per pipe, I had everything selected, so I expect that some of them may only have had a single sample (perhaps something like blower noise) though I generally select everything for loading as RAM isn't really an issue.

With regard to the INVALID message, your suggestion of viewing the log was very helpful. There were two entries for each of the two impulse responses:

ERR-2490 The specified impulse response reverb 'Inspired Acoustics - Matyas II Pipe Organ Samples Reverb (Close) {33507dlf-3a02-4d12-a828-da8495f994b7}' couldn't be loaded for audio mixer bus 'Intermed mix 1 'Matyas Close A''. Try re-installing the reverb, or contact its maker if that doesn't solve it, or de-select the reverb for that bus on the 'General settings / Audio mixer' screen...

ERR-0068 <p>You don't currently have a valid and active license for the organ or impulse response that you're trying to load (or a licensing package isn't in the format required for version of Hauptwerk).<p><p>Please first make sure that you have downloaded the current version of hauptwerk's master licensing packages file from <a href="https://hauptwerk.com/licensingpackages/">https://www.hauptwerk.com/licensingpackages/</a>, then used'<i>File / Install... </i>'to install it </p><p>If that doesn't solve it, and if you have purchased a license for the organ or impulse response, then please make sure that you have activated the lbs/Iicense (to your iLok key, or to your computer) within iLok License Manager. If you don't see a license for it within iLok License Manager then please contact its supplier to get the necessary license <p/.<p> (Licensing package: 001176, file F:/HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents/ImpulseResponseReverbs/Inspired Acoustics - Matyas II Pipe Organ Samples Reverb (Close) {33507dlf-3a02-4d12-a828-da8495f994b7}-96000/Hz.hbw, error: Licensing error:code 86, name:'NoAuthFound', class:'PaceFusionException', description: 'No license for the protected software was found'.)</p>

I hope I have transcribed this correctly - I can't remember how to get the pipe symbol on a standard keyboard so I have substituted a solidus.

So this seems to be a licensing issue. I have already activated the license for the sample set itself, which is loading and playing as expected. I have tried reinstalling the IR files, and I downloaded and installed the latest master licensing packages from the Hauptwerk Web site (though they didn't include 001176 as far as I could see). I am guessing I need to download or activate something else.

Julian

mdyde

PostMon Dec 12, 2022 3:55 pm

Thanks, Julian.

JulianMoney-Kyrle wrote:With regard to the number of samples per pipe, I had everything selected, so I expect that some of them may only have had a single sample (perhaps something like blower noise)

Yes -- that's probably it.

JulianMoney-Kyrle wrote:With regard to the INVALID message, your suggestion of viewing the log was very helpful. There were two entries for each of the two impulse responses:

ERR-2490 The specified impulse response reverb 'Inspired Acoustics - Matyas II Pipe Organ Samples Reverb (Close) {33507dlf-3a02-4d12-a828-da8495f994b7}' couldn't be loaded for audio mixer bus 'Intermed mix 1 'Matyas Close A''. Try re-installing the reverb, or contact its maker if that doesn't solve it, or de-select the reverb for that bus on the 'General settings / Audio mixer' screen...

ERR-0068 <p>You don't currently have a valid and active license for the organ or impulse response that you're trying to load (or a licensing package isn't in the format required for version of Hauptwerk).<p><p>Please first make sure that you have downloaded the current version of hauptwerk's master licensing packages file from <a href="https://hauptwerk.com/licensingpackages/">https://www.hauptwerk.com/licensingpackages/</a>, then used'<i>File / Install... </i>'to install it </p><p>If that doesn't solve it, and if you have purchased a license for the organ or impulse response, then please make sure that you have activated the lbs/Iicense (to your iLok key, or to your computer) within iLok License Manager. If you don't see a license for it within iLok License Manager then please contact its supplier to get the necessary license <p/.<p> (Licensing package: 001176, file F:/HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents/ImpulseResponseReverbs/Inspired Acoustics - Matyas II Pipe Organ Samples Reverb (Close) {33507dlf-3a02-4d12-a828-da8495f994b7}-96000/Hz.hbw, error: Licensing error:code 86, name:'NoAuthFound', class:'PaceFusionException', description: 'No license for the protected software was found'.)</p>

That would appear to indicate that IA made a mistake with the licensing for that file. We'll contact IA to let them know, so that they can release an update for the sample set to patch that file if needed.
Best regards, Martin.

vpo-organist

PostMon Dec 12, 2022 5:53 pm

I also got the error message and the mixer no longer displayed a mixer preset. I could no longer load the set. I installed the IRs again, but the error remained.
Then I loaded the St. Anne Mosley, but only a fragmented sound came out. After rebooting and removing the IR from the preset, the system was stable again.

IA should have supplied installation instructions and the IR configuration. This can be expected in general and even more so at this price.

Installation hint for other users - what Julian already said: The 21 data files are a multivolumn - you only need to select the first file for installation, as a second step, the reverb file and finally the organ file ("_rar").

The MD5 files could also be delivered with the extension .txt so that users can open the file with a double click (Texteditor).

The so-called MD5 hash can be used to check that the download is error-free. This can be done in the Windows Powershell.
Here is an example for the check of the first file:

Get-FileHash Matyas_II_Professional_HW7_Data.part01.CompPkg_Hauptwerk_rar -Algorithm MD5

Wait some seconds or a minute...

The hash value that the program outputs must match the hash value in the file Matyas_II_Professional_HW7_Data.md5

The upper and lower case of the letters is irrelevant. That is the Hash-Value for the first data file:
5bdcbac604a3b2020dbd1d9437a4148

If the hash value of Get-FileHash identical with the value in the file Matyas_II_Professional_HW7_Data.md5 than the Download ist correct.
You must/or can do it for all available MD5-Hash-Values.

mdyde

PostTue Dec 13, 2022 4:15 am

vpo-organist wrote:I also got the error message and the mixer no longer displayed a mixer preset. I could no longer load the set. I installed the IRs again, but the error remained.
Then I loaded the St. Anne Mosley, but only a fragmented sound came out. After rebooting and removing the IR from the preset, the system was stable again.

Hello vpo-organist,

I think IA made a mistake within that reverb file. I've let them know, so they can look into it and get it resolved.
Best regards, Martin.

vpo-organist

PostTue Dec 13, 2022 3:04 pm

Thank you Martin, I read your comment above. I've deleted the Sampleset. But the set could sound good with working IR's. Without IR, the short release samples are unfortunately not ok.
The best way to hear the dry (or non-existent) very dry short release samples is to listen to the recording "Théodore Dubois: Grand Choeur": https://iaassets.inspiredacoustics.com/ ... oisnew.mp3

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostSat Dec 17, 2022 7:18 pm

Inspired Acoustics emailed me recently with a link to updated IR files, which I have downloaded and installed. They work fine with the HW mixer, without the error messages and strange behaviour of the earlier ones.

I am not sure how to set up a multiple perspective organ when the addition perspectives are provided by IR rather than being separately recorded. I have three stereo pairs of speakers (Behringer active monitors) at the front, two pairs at the side and a single pair at the rear in a large room with a high ceiling. I have an SVS powered sub-woofer, which takes a mix-down from all channels and has its own low-pass filter. For 6-channel sets I have the close perspective cycling between the front speakers, the distant perspective cycling between the middle and the surround perspective directed to the rear. This generally works well and gives a good sense of presence in the room.

I have tried to do something similar with the Matyas organ, but I can't say that I really know what I am doing. I have set up the front three pairs of speakers as one group and routed all stops and other sounds to them. I have set up the three further channels in the Intermediate Mix section of the mixer, called Mid A, Mid B and Rear, outputting to the speakers in the same position. Each channel in the front group is routed to a pair of speakers at the front, and also to the Rear channel and to either Mid A or Mid B. The rear channel has the Matyas Distant IR loaded and the Mid channels have the Matyas Close perspective. I have changed the wet/dry mix from the defaults in the IR to 100% wet so that the front speakers only get the dry version (which I would describe as semi-dry) and the other speakers only have the wet. The overall amount of reverb in the control panel is set to about 20%.

I really don't know if this is optimum, or even anything remotely like what Inspired Acoustics intended, so I would be grateful for any comments. However, it sounds much better than I thought it would (particularly as version 1 of this organ was so dreadful) and much better than it did using the IR's that came with Hauptwerk. In fact, I found myself enjoying playing it far more than I ever expected.

The other organs I have (far too many of them already) are all recorded in their natural acoustic and I haven't wanted to add any additional reverb to them as I don't think they need it (though for 2-channel organs I have been wondering about sending a delayed signal to the rear speakers, which isn't possible with HW at present). I am not very familiar with the fine details of the mixer therefore, particularly when it comes to adding reverb. If anybody has any better ideas about how to do it I would be interested to know.

mnailor

PostSat Dec 17, 2022 9:13 pm

That isn't a bad solution at all. When I was using intermediate buses to add IR, I found I needed to reduce output levels on the intermediate buses to -24 dB and increase the reverb levels by 24 dB to quash the direct signal and hear mostly reverb, otherwise you have a lot of duplication of the original sample instead of just reverb. With your 100 wet mix % x 20 wetness scalar, you would be hearing 80% original dry signal in the reverb speakers, which might come across as hard-sounding, with abrupt releases due to over-amplifying the sustain part.

Another approach is sending some percentage of all ranks to perspectives 2 and 3 in Rank voicing, then, in Rank routing, sending perspective 2 to a mid + reverb group and perspective 3 to a rear + reverb group, both groups containing new primary buses with the close or distant IRs added. That avoids sending primary buses to intermediate buses for reverb, which I eventually found awkward to maintain with the variety of organs out there.

Of course, if you have a dedicated preset for this organ, that doesn't matter. I use one preset, with additional groups for ranks that need IR vs those that are already wet. Otherwise, it was getting tedious to keep setting up organs where the wet surround ranks are too dry for, so I want to add IR just to the dry/close/direct ranks. (When preset copying becomes available, I'll be able to use different IRs in this scheme.)
Last edited by mnailor on Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostSat Dec 17, 2022 9:35 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your thoughts.

I have one dedicated preset that I use for most things, but I have set up a new one specifically for Matyas.

I didn't realise that the wetness scalar mixed the dry signal back in with the wet; I thought it was something along the lines of a master gain control for the wet signals only.

I haven't used the various perspectives in the Rank Voicing screen at all (I only use Voicing to compensate for resonances in my room). It sounds like a different way of doing the same thing.

I thought of reducing output levels and increasing reverb levels as you suggest (I sometimes do something similar with saturation when I am editing photographs and I want the effect of bringing out only one colour) but that wasn't the first thing I decided to try.

Best Wishes,
Julian

mnailor

PostSun Dec 18, 2022 9:47 am

If I understand it correctly, the wetness scalar applies as a percentage factor to each IR's wet mix % parameter, reducing the wet percentage of the mix and increasing the dry signal correspondingly if the scalar is less than 100. So 100% wet mix times 20% wetness scalar is 20% wet 80% dry.

I mistakenly called the wet mix % the "wetness level" in my previous post. Sorry! Corrected now.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments