It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:10 am

Kolonics Organ from Brasov -free sample set!

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

takatsa

Kolonics Organ from Brasov -free sample set!

PostFri Dec 23, 2022 5:42 am

I am happy to inform everyone that completed my new sample set of Kolonics Organ from Franciscan Church in Brasov . The small romantic organ has one manual and pedal and 11 stops. (In addition to the original version, I also made an expanded version with two manuals.) This is a free sample set that can be downloaded from my website and is free to use.

Brasov (German: Kronstadt, Hungarian: Brassó) is a large city with 250,000 inhabitants in Southern Transylvania (Romania). Brasov was the center of the Transylvanian Saxons, who were settled in Transylvania by the Hungarian kings between 1100 and 1300. Brasov was an important industrial and trading city in the Middle Ages and in the modern era, and the largest Gothic church in Eastern Europe, the Black Church, is located here. In the past, Saxons, Romanians and Hungarians lived in almost equal proportions in Brasov, but today only 100-200 Saxons live in the city and 20,000 Hungarians, the rest of the city's residents are Romanians.

The religious distribution corresponds to the national distribution. The Romanians are Orthodox, the Hungarians are Catholic and Reformed, and the Saxons are Lutheran. The city's most significant church monuments are connected to the Saxon Lutherans. There are currently 15,000 Catholics and 7,000 Protestants living in the city.

The Franciscan church and monastery of Saint John the Baptist is located in the historical center of Brasov. The monastery and its Gothic church were built in the early 1500s and were used by the Poor Clares (Franciscan sisters). The Franciscan order was expelled in 1530, and for 100 years the church was used as a grain store. From 1644 to 1700, Saxon evangelicals used the church, which then burned down. The Jesuits of the town repaired it and used it for a short time, then the church burned down again. The Franciscan order got the church back in 1724, and after the reconstruction of the church, they still use it today. There are currently 3 Franciscan Fathers living in the monastery who say mass in Hungarian every day. The church is also visited by Romanian Orthodox, because in addition to St. Francis, this church is famous for venerating St. Anthony, and St. Anthony is also loved by the Romanian Orthodox.

The church organ was built in 1749 by the Bavarian master Julianus Ottner. This organ was used for more than 100 years, and then István Kolonics built an one manual and pedal-operated organ with 11 stops around 1870 that is still in use today. (István Kolonics was a famous Hungarian organ builder of the 19th century, who was active mainly in the southern area of historical Hungary and in Transylvania. He made more than 500 organs. Most of his organs were small one-manual organs similar to those in Brasov.)
The organ was significantly extended by the Wegenstein organ factory in the 1920s, but in 2005 this extension was completely demolished, leaving only two pedal registers, and the organ was restored to its original condition. This is how this beautiful Kolonics organ is still working, which fits very well with the acoustics of the small, almost chapel-sized church.

The sample sets are available in wave format 48kHz/24bit, stereo, multiple loops (1-8) and multiple releases (3 levels).
Equal temperament, a=445 Hz. The reverb 1.8 s, reflects the original acoustics of the church.
Hauptwerk v4.2 and v5 and v6 and v7 supported for the Organ Definition Files.

The sample sets made in four forms.
The Lite version is a 2-channel stereo sample containing only the original version. This can be used even with Hauptwerk 4.2 free version.
In addition, there are the usual 2-channel near, 2-channel far and 6-channel surround versions, which include the extended version on a second screen in addition to the original version.
In the surround versions you can adjust the perspective by setting the volume of the front-near, and front-far and rear recordings.
The sample RAM requirement is not high, the stereo version requires 5 GB, the surround version requires 11 GB for 24-bit loading.

Screenshot
Audio demos
More information

The following friends helped me to make and publish the sample set (in alphabetical order): Dominique Dantand, Gérard Lefranc, Nagy István and Jean-Pierre Silvestre. If something's done well, it's thanks to them. Thank you for their work. I especially thank my friend László Megyaszai, a reformed cantor from Brasov, for his help. He also obtained the recording permit and the accommodation in Brasov. I can thank him for the recording of all Transylvanian organs (Gelence, Kanta, Sepsiszentgyörgy, Brasov Reformed church, Brasso Franciscan church).

I wish all my Hauptwerk colleagues a blessed Christmas and a peaceful and happy New Year with this free little sample set.
Augustine

Henk61

Re: Kolonics Organ from Brasov -free sample set!

PostFri Dec 23, 2022 7:05 am

Thanks Augustine!

Blessed Christmas and a great 2023 to you too!

Greetings Henk

larason2

PostFri Dec 23, 2022 9:11 am

It is a lovely organ, and a nice Christmas present! Merry Christmas to you as well!

takatsa

PostFri Dec 23, 2022 9:31 am

Thank you for the good wishes, and Merry Christmas to you, my dear friends.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments