It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:14 am

Peterborough Cathedral Set Tweaks

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Philip Powell

Peterborough Cathedral Set Tweaks

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 12:25 pm

Hi there! I am just purchasing this set (and am using the trial currently). A few people have told me that I need to make some tweaks to the original set, so I am wondering if anybody who has the set already might have some tips as I get used to the organ. Thanks!

God Bless,
Philip

JulianMoney-Kyrle

Re: Peterborough Cathedral Set Tweaks

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 6:30 pm

The temperament needs to be set to Equal, not Original Organ Temperament, which will result in some pipes badly out of tune.

I don't know about other tweaks. I believe there is an update planned as the pedal Septieme sounds at the wrong pitch.

Philip Powell

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 9:49 pm

Thanks - I've made the adjustment.

dhm

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 7:42 am

JulianMoney-Kyrle wrote: I believe there is an update planned as the pedal Septieme sounds at the wrong pitch.

I don't see a Septieme in the Peterborough Pedal (or any other department.).
Am I missing something?
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 8:20 am

Hi Douglas,

I have just realised that I misread the question. For some reason I thought it was Blackburn Cathedral. I think I had had rather a long day.

Apologies to Mr Powell for some misleading advice.

Julian

mnailor

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 2:15 pm

I didn't need to tweak anything on Peterborough.

Posaune32

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 2:51 pm

One of the issues I noticed while using the demo was that the Swell Horn isn't affected by the swell pedal enough and is louder than the other swell stops while closed, which I rectified by changing the "Swell boxes mod: amplitude" voicing setting to either around 175% or 300% (don't remember the exact value since I also did the same operation on some other trials). I don't remember if there were other issues with Swell ranks responding too much to the pedal and becoming too quiet, or if that was also with a different trial.

I also made some balancing tweaks like reducing the volume on the Clarions which I thought were too loud (seemingly louder than even the 8' reeds), though that's based on my personal taste and not on any knowledge of how the real organ is balanced.

Philip Powell

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 3:37 pm

Thanks everybody for the helpful tips so far! I haven't had time to make my own little tweaks to certain ranks, but the suggested ones had stuck out to me already so this is certainly helpful!

JulianMoney-Kyrle wrote:The temperament needs to be set to Equal, not Original Organ Temperament, which will result in some pipes badly out of tune.

Not a problem JulianMoney-Kyrle about the mixup. That change sure did sound weird though! :D

Philip Powell

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 12:40 am

I have been trying to adjust the volume of some stops but for some reason I have encountered an issue. I was adjusting the Choir 8' Trumpet and all was working well (as normal). However, after about 2 minutes, the volume reset and I haven't been able to re-adjust it. I've tried other stops and they all work fine over extended periods of time. Any ideas? Thanks!

mnailor

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 9:09 am

What version of Hauptwerk? Do your speakers/amplifiers have auto-on-off enabled, so maybe one came back on and it got louder?

Philip Powell

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 9:46 am

I have Hauptwerk VI and only use headphones. But now it's the entire choir division that won't adjust.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments