It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:42 am

Nancy voicing questions…

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

B777Captain

Re: Nancy voicing questions…

PostSat Jul 08, 2023 6:52 pm

Mark…

I have adjusted my levels of truncation to zero, but it seems to make no difference in the sound.

I’m just moving the volume levers all to zero 4 times, for each perspective and I can tell absolutely no difference in sound nor in the trailing reverb being cut.

I am probably missing something in the process and hoping you can guide me. The CPU is also still going into the red as it had previously.

Thanks for all your help, Mark

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

mnailor

PostSat Jul 08, 2023 7:43 pm

Pat, are you trying to truncate releases or to restore them to the original full length?

Truncation of Front, Middle, and Rear ranks will make a big sound difference in Nancy. You'll hear it. Truncation on Close ranks saves some CPU but is hard to hear unless you only use Close, because the reverb is very soft.

Are you adjusting truncation in

1. Organ settings | Rank voicing... with the desired ranks selected and changing the perspective 1 release truncation parameter with the MSTR slider, or
2. Organ | Load organ adjusting... where you may truncate ranks at load time, or
3. Nancy's Settings tab with the division volume sliders (has no effect on truncation)?

In 1, sliding MSTR to a zero value means full releases, no truncation, but limited by any releases truncated at load time in 2. A truncated value in 1 is any small, positive number of milliseconds such as 17 or 35 or 50. I can't get the slider to hit a specific number, it jumps around for me, but anything less than 50 ms = 1/20 second is a very short release.

Please see page 206 of the Hauptwerk 7 Installation and User Guide. The circled parameter on that picture is the one you want to adjust.

mnailor

PostFri Nov 03, 2023 11:28 am

Pat, I'm following up on this thread because some 14th gen Intel PCs are out now, as you'd mentioned you were looking for.

However, benchmarks show very little gain in CPU performance going from 13th to 14th gen, which is just a minor "refresh" over the 13th gen design.

For example, the i9-14900K gains maybe 3% over the i9-13900K, which had gained about 40% over the
i9-12900K. Going to 13900K makes sense, but 14900K only makes sense if you need more memory than the 13900K's 128 GB limit.

I can use 120 GB out of 128 for samplesets with Windows 11 and Hauptwerk 8.

(I keep talking about K models because the non-K models have locked multipliers and lower CPU performance.)

B777Captain

PostThu Nov 16, 2023 5:45 pm

Thanks for the note Mark! Appreciate that.

I’ll be waiting for the new year before I start looking seriously at the upgraded computer. I have noticed with all 4 perspectives now playing, that my CPU just can’t handle it…and will cut out the pedal division “base” sound altogether on occassion. Only fix is to physically release the pedal and repress it to get the original correct sound to occur.

So needless to say, I’m anxiously awaiting a computer that will be able to totally handle the Nancy in its full 4 perspective glory!

Thanks again!’

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada
Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments