It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:43 am

Sample set of French Romantic organ (48 stops 3M) released!

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

ReinerS

Sample set of French Romantic organ (48 stops 3M) released!

PostSun Mar 12, 2023 8:18 am

Dear all,

I have the pleasure to announce my latest sample set, a fantastic 3 manual 48 stop french symphonic organ!
Tonight at 8:30 pm GMT Richard McVeigh will debut this instrument in a live concert on his "beauty in sound" youtube channel.

Don't miss it!

Here is the link to the concert!
Near the end of the concert I will announce details about the organ itself and also launch the sale.

EDIT: The organ is the Vleugels organ of the Schlosskirche Chemnitz, built in the style of Aristide Cavaillé-Coll. Please have a look at my website for more information on the sampleset.

Best regards
Reiner
Last edited by ReinerS on Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

B777Captain

Re: New sample set to be introduced by live concert tonight

PostSun Mar 12, 2023 11:37 pm

I heard the sample set tonight on BIS….and I thought it sounded fantastic!! I plan to order it. Thank you Reiner!

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

voet

PostMon Mar 13, 2023 10:12 am

Vleugels went to extraordinary lengths to create a new instrument that is completely based on the methods of Cavaillé-Coll. It is not an historic recreation of an existing organ, rather it is as if this new organ was buiilt by Cavaillé-Coll re-incarnate. Truely impressive.

Equally impressive is the case designed by Jacques Gassmann.

And I believe this is the first Hauptwerk sample set to offer thunder and rain! Gene Kelly would approve. :wink:

mnailor

PostMon Mar 13, 2023 3:47 pm

I'm playing under a trial license now. This sampleset sounds great!

1961TC4ME

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 10:44 am

All I can say is, WOW!

Downloading it now.

Marc

einer_von_weitem

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 3:31 pm

It seems then that this sample set won't be available for HW version 4. I regret that. Pipeloops has now lost me as a customer and as an advocate. Sonus paradisi or Piotr Grabowski have not.
My Hauptwerk recordings on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJu6YY ... XMA/videos

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 7:40 pm

Einer von Weitem,

There are good reasons why many new sample sets are not compatible with obsolete versions of Hauptwerk, and indeed it is unrealistic to expect that they should be. The reason why the standard changed from version 5 onwards was that the encryption system of the dongle used was hacked, enabling sample sets (and Hauptwerk itself) to be pirated. The newer system uses iLok, which is more secure.

Not all sample set producers use encryption to secure their products. In the case of Sonus Paradisi, there appear to be two categories of sample sets with different target customers. There are some that are sold relatively cheaply and are not encrypted, which means that they can be used with HW 4.2 as well as with later versions, and there are others that are sold at a premium and are encrypted to protect that. These ones are not compatible with HW 4.2 and some require version 7 (I am not sure what has changed between HW 6 and HW 7). St Martinikerk, Groningen is one of their premium organs, for example, and although the stereo semi-dry version works with HW 4.2, all the other versions (including the surround options) require HW 7.

I don't think Piotr Grabowski's sample sets are encrypted, which is why they work on both 4.2 and more recent versions of HW.

You will find that some sample sets require other features of HW 5 onwards besides the encryption system. Some, for instance, include an impulse response definition file for the acoustics of the church where the organ was recorded; the sample is supplied dry and IR reverberation is added using HW; advocates of this system say that it gives more realistic results than recording wet in the first place.

You have the choice of continuing to use HW 4.2 and confining yourself to sample sets that are compatible with it, of which there are a great many (including most of those from Pipeloops), or of upgrading to the current version, with additional features (that may or may not appeal to you), compatibility with all recent sample sets, continued support from Milan Digital Audio, and, crucially in my opinion, much better sound quality.

I don't think you will find many software manufacturers releasing new products that are compatible with obsolete or unsupported systems. To announce that Pipeloops have lost you as a customer and an advocate simply because they have chosen to protect their newer (and arguably more desirable) products from hackers seems a little churlish, particularly as they are continuing to offer most of their catalogue in an unencrypted format.

mnailor

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 8:44 pm

Thank you, Julian. I was still trying to come up with a polite way to say that. :D

B777Captain

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 10:23 pm

I was looking for the RAM requirements for this sample set and didn’t see it.

Can anyone offer that information and similar requirements?

Thanks!

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

mnailor

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 10:26 pm

einer_von_weitem

PostWed Mar 15, 2023 10:30 am

JulianMoney-Kyrle wrote:There are good reasons why many new sample sets are not compatible with obsolete versions of Hauptwerk.

Arguments on this question have been exchanged ad nauseam and I see no reason to descend into that arena yet again. I just note, and applaud, that Sonus Paradisi and Piotr Grabowski are perfectly capable of producing sample sets compatible with version 4.
My Hauptwerk recordings on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJu6YY ... XMA/videos

1961TC4ME

PostThu Mar 16, 2023 10:34 am

Hello all,

I installed and got this instrument up and running last night for the 14 day trial. I'm a bit limited in memory with 32GB and I chose so far to load the mid and far perspectives in 20 bit leaving me with about 4GB to spare once loaded and I had only a few minutes to try it out. These 2 perspectives results in a very nice sounding instrument that's quite wet but still seems quite defined and not mushy, now to experiment further with routing and so on. I'm also going to load the direct perspective tonight along with one of the other perspectives to see how that sounds.

When it comes to these French instruments I'm pretty lost for how to do registrations and I sure would appreciate some guidance in order to hear what this instrument is capable of on my own system.

Anyone here willing / able to provide some different registrations to try?

Thanks,

Marc

IainStinson

PostThu Mar 16, 2023 11:55 am

I don’t have this instrument.

You might find these notes helpful https://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/blog/registration-of-french-romantic-music/

Iain

mnailor

PostThu Mar 16, 2023 12:20 pm

In addition to the SP blog post above, if you have music from Franck, Gigout, Guilmant, Widor, and other late 19th century French and Belgian composers, they are fairly explicit about giving registrations for this type of organ.

1961TC4ME

PostThu Mar 16, 2023 1:56 pm

Ah, yes. Thanks guys! Iain thanks for that link, I will have it in front of me later when I try out this instrument again. And Mark, I do happen to have a few pieces of the mentioned composers hanging around, will have a look at them and see if they provide a clue as to registrations.

Marc
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments