It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:45 pm

organ suitable for a church with a lot rever

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Matova

organ suitable for a church with a lot rever

PostTue Mar 21, 2023 9:25 am

Hi everyone, like I said in the title I'm looking a intrument with dry samples to play in a place with a lot of rever. Any suggestions?, many thanks in advance.

mnailor

Re: organ suitable for a church with a lot rever

PostTue Mar 21, 2023 10:02 am

Is this for a church, concerts, or personal practice? (Edit: Sorry, that's in the title...) Number of seats? Dimensions of room? What types of music does it need to handle? How many seconds is a lot of reverb?
Last edited by mnailor on Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jan Loosman

PostTue Mar 21, 2023 10:48 am

In our church we use the Rotterdam Laurens kerk as main sampleset with great satisfaction.
I know it is a reasonable wet set , but we truncated the set and it works very well in our church.
https://www.mixtuur.com/portfolio-item/ ... -den-haag/

May i suggest to try some demo sets (truncated or not) to make a decision.

Jan

larason2

PostTue Mar 21, 2023 12:13 pm

There aren't that many dry sets, and a lot of users take a wet sample and trim the releases to make them less wet. So it's better to find a sample set you like, and make it suitable for a wet space that way.

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostTue Mar 21, 2023 12:20 pm

You also need to check the licence of the sample set. Not all of them are licensed for use for public performance.

Matova

PostTue Mar 21, 2023 1:22 pm

Is for exactly this little chapel https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capilla_de_los_V%C3%A9lez https://panoviewer.toolforge.org/#Cated ... %A9lez.jpg
,the ceiling is very high , altought it is small, about 80 people. My intention is to put the speaker on the balcony halfway up on the left. In fact I tried with a set samples with very littel rever but even so it was too much.

lefranc22

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 4:58 am

I suggest those almost dry organs:
- Piotr Grabowski's Melcer Chamber Music Hall https://piotrgrabowski.pl/melcer-chamber-music-hall/
- AVO's Aerais Castillan replica, using the Near channels only https://hauptwerk-augustine.info/Castilian.php
- Casacota Greening of the Escola Superior de Música de Catalunya (for HW 1) http://www.atmos.cat/perl?num=1404987288
Better to test on site.

IanPounder

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 5:19 am

Silver Octopus Studios have dry sample sets. I use their samples successfully for stops on a hybrid instrument in a large church.
https://www.silveroctopus.co.uk/

magnaton

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 12:40 pm

In reality any sample set can be made dry by truncating the reverb off when loading:
Organ | Load organ, adjusting rank audio/memory options/

There are many sample sets available now so I'd find one that meet yours needs or one that is 'period correct' for your historic chapel.

I recently had a Hauptwerk instrument on lease for a year at a new, very large church with all hard surfaces with live acoustics as you'd imagine. This was in place until Casavant arrived last month to install their new pipe organ. I chose the Sonus Paradisi, Bellevue, Washington set since that is what they were getting :wink: . Granted the specs of the SP set was quite different from their actual organ but it still worked. The inherent reverb on this set is minimal to begin with but I still took it all the way out. We had 17 speakers and console in the oversized choir loft (25ft deep x 70ft wide) and the room provided all the sound reflections in a glorious manner!

On a humorous note, I had an organ acquaintance who lived in the area of this new church and went to check it out. He complained that there was too much reverb and I needed to trim some off! He couldn't believe the back choir loft wall and room was providing all the reflections. So he went back and stood right next to one of the towers with multiple speakers to hear that indeed there was zero reverb from them.

Danny B.
Voceinstruments.com

ldeutsch

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 2:20 pm

I will add my vote to the "dry" solution.

Although you can truncate the releases on any sample set, this does not convert the samples to a dry ones. This is because the sustained part of the sample is still smeared with reverberation. This acts as a low pass filter (on average) making the resulting tone sound less bright. This is not an issue when playing the set in a dry room but is a real issue in a live acoustic.

This is exactly why the major digital organ manufacturers all use dry samples. They provide added reverb for use in the home, dry halls, or through headphones.

I also prefer dry samples for recording purposes. I record most of my organ music dry and add reverb in the mastering process. This gives me a lot more control.

I have several Silver Octopus dry sets and I really like them. They are a good choice. They can also be easily used with he CODM to create custom organs.

Les

murph

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 3:12 pm

I agree about the Silver Octopus sets. There are demo sets available for some of them, if you want to try them out. Also, Sonus Paradisi does dry versions of a lot of their sample sets. Menesterol is worth a try, to see how a dry set sounds in the building, without breaking the bank. There's a dry version of Rotterdam and Caen if you need something bigger. The semi-dry component of Billerbeck has very little room sound in it. (There's a very comprehensive free trial set which includes the semi-dry-give it a try!)

magnaton

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 11:55 pm

ldeutsch wrote:Although you can truncate the releases on any sample set, this does not convert the samples to a dry ones. This is because the sustained part of the sample is still smeared with reverberation. This acts as a low pass filter (on average) making the resulting tone sound less bright.

I agree. Fortunately the Sonus Paradisi Casavant is a 2 channel, surround set the church where it was sampled from had very little reverberation. Reference the SP website. So the Front channels are very direct and it was only these that were used. For good measure we still clipped the tiny reverb it had the end. We compared it to the free Paramount 3/10 which is the driest set I've ever come across.

Danny B.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments